Running Down A (Digital) Dream - (Helix vs FX8 vs Kemper)

What's Hot

Comments

• FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
    edited May 2017
    I was really blown away with the Kemper when I tried it a couple of days ago. The Matchless clean sounds were unbelievably good, and the Fender profiles were so close to the real thing.

I only got to try a powered rack, which didn't seem to have an effects loop, but I imagine an unpowered head with a couple of good pedals in the FX loop and a decent powered speaker would be an excellent combination.

Been really interesting seeing your move from Fractal to the Helix, @Wazmeister and can see why you did. Setting up a patch on one of them is so simple even I could do it.

Powered rack does have an effects loop, I'm currently experimenting with a Mobius up front and a Bigsky in the loop, sounds great.:) Just working on getting it all controlled via midi now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    I've had a full Axe fX rig, valve amps and pedals, and more recently valve amps with an FX8, for me it's come down to what scenario am I using it in.

If i was a touring pro using In Ears on a quiet stage i would go full Axe FX/Kemper no question. For the ease of set up, consistency, lack of weight it's a no brainer.

For a wedding/function type band where I need a lot of different sounds but I'm still using an amp at decent volume I'd use the amp + FX8. If i'm singing a lot i need patches/scenes and i want it all set up and done in one unit with very little to go wrong.

For playing at home, or shows with less sounds/patches i'd go full old school with valve amp and pedals. This still sounds the best for me,is the most fun and most tweakable on the fly, but for the 2 scenarios above it can be a pain in the arse, especially with power supplies, cabling, weight, switchers etc it all gets to be a headache.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    @Wazmeister ;
    Having just bought the FX8 in question, and really liking it, I found this thread very interesting. 

So off I went to GuitarGuitar today and an hour later got the Helix rack.

Will now be able to explore both and see where that takes me, but can see both playing a different role in my set up.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9559
    edbolivar said:
    @Wazmeister ;
    Having just bought the FX8 in question, and really liking it, I found this thread very interesting. 

So off I went to GuitarGuitar today and an hour later got the Helix rack.

Will now be able to explore both and see where that takes me, but can see both playing a different role in my set up.

We must be all mental !!! 

Glad youre loving the FX8 mate - I still think it is superior in sounds (my sounds anyway) to the Helix.

Hope you enjoy them both. 

But, but, but...

As we often say, it never ends !!!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    So many people on here have been through amp after amp, pedal after pedal and ton of guitars looking for ?something? elusive, that the current rig doesn't give. I'm not sure why people would think that would change with an all in digital box. Sure, they have a lot of options and a lot of ways of shaping a tone - but in terms of sound, nothing they bring is new to the party. It's all based on a majority of gear that many of us have had access too. Often with a voice in the head saying Digital is inferior.

So sound cannot be the defining point of a modeller. I'm pretty sure, that if you accept digital gear now sounds good enough, then you will get on with any of the latest tech for tone. The key question for me, is what can a modeller do for me that improves my life. This is where helix has scored so highly in my eyes. I can do almost anything I ever dreamed of, or get damned close. The list of its capabilities are huge. To my mind it is not really a guitar product. I see it as a controller / hub with DSP effects.The stuff you can get it to do is nuts.

Last night, I had it setup as an audio interface, I was playing a VST with my feet and a 2nd through a key lab49 running into a midimurf and a boss slicer. No guitars in sight. I often run guitars via Sgear, or a reactive load with my pleximan in a helix loop, with helix providing FX only.  In a couple of weeks, I will be doing an acoustic gig, 2 guitars will run into helix, along with my vocals and maybe a roland SPD. 

Seriously, this thing is insane in what it can do. I'd buy it for the routing, mixing, controlling, interface alone. That it does amp modelling is something of a bonus. I could not imagine my day to day music life without it anymore.

I'm also wondering where they go from here? I can't think of any situation that has come up in my playing career that helix can't answer and it's given me a whole load of creative options I never, ever even considered. 

Analog vs digital is now longer a relevant question in my eyes. I could be happy with either in terms of sound, but I think if you took my helix away, I'd be devastated by the loss of creative opportunity and functionality. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9559
    edited May 2017
    @Teetonetal - Patrick, a simply stunning and accurate post mate, which mirrors my own experience.

"
    The key question for me, is what can a modeller do for me that improves my life... Analog vs digital is now longer a relevant question in my eyes. I could be happy with either in terms of sound, but I think if you took my helix away, I'd be devastated by the loss of creative opportunity and functionality. "
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2231
    edited May 2017
    I was really blown away with the Kemper when I tried it a couple of days ago. The Matchless clean sounds were unbelievably good, and the Fender profiles were so close to the real thing.

I only got to try a powered rack, which didn't seem to have an effects loop, but I imagine an unpowered head with a couple of good pedals in the FX loop and a decent powered speaker would be an excellent combination.

Been really interesting seeing your move from Fractal to the Helix, @Wazmeister and can see why you did. Setting up a patch on one of them is so simple even I could do it.

Powered rack does have an effects loop, I'm currently experimenting with a Mobius up front and a Bigsky in the loop, sounds great.:) Just working on getting it all controlled via midi now. 
    It does? Well the chap in shop had not done his homework.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Never trust store guys! (No offence store guys)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    I went from FX8 to Helix mainly to get access to direct sounds for the smaller "2 hand carry in" type gigs which are becoming the norm these days..

I will admit that I do struggle with delays sometimes on the Helix but then that could just be me and not the quality of the unit, they are probably there somewhere, I just need time to dial it in and what sounds great at home levels sounds bad at gig levels - usual story!

@Wazmeister with regards to the Unity thing - I was told by Mr Igloo himself that if you un-assign the big Volume Knob from the 1/4"" outs and put it to soemthing like USB/Dig Out then they come out at Unity and I have found this to work a treat - I can plug in to any FX loop in 4CM and not have any issues (and it takes away the knocking knob issue fnarr fnarr)

I don't miss the FX8 at all, yes it was good, but the Helix is easier to use, has a lot more flexibilty etc etc.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I find the delays to be really good on the Helix actually, I just wish there were more! Delay is a big part of my sound.

I have a feature request on the Ideascale which is to add an input trim to the wet side of the delays and reverbs, just like the Fractal stuff. Coz assigning that to an expression pedal would be really fun!

It's really reverbs that I find are not quite giving me the range of tones I want from the Helix. But they'll address it at some point I'm sure.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I find the delays to be really good on the Helix actually, I just wish there were more! Delay is a big part of my sound.

I have a feature request on the Ideascale which is to add an input trim to the wet side of the delays and reverbs, just like the Fractal stuff. Coz assigning that to an expression pedal would be really fun!

It's really reverbs that I find are not quite giving me the range of tones I want from the Helix. But they'll address it at some point I'm sure.
    I wish delay was a big part of your posting methodology on here.

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_TNBD said:

;)
    It's set to slapback mate! :)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

;)
    Ouch. You got me there
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

;)
    12:14. Internet won for the day.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ennspek said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Stay out of this. 

I have too much dirt on you.
    ennspek said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Stay out of this. 

I stand by my immoral behaviour and poor life decisions.
    That said I take your point and will shut up!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ennspek said:
    ennspek said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Stay out of this. 

I stand by my immoral behaviour and poor life decisions.
    That said I take your point and will shut up!
    And you dare to join in on a Helix thread having had one hovering in your Amazon cart for like 6 weeks or summat...

SHAME ON YOU!!
    *hangs head*
    ennspek said:
    *hangs head*
    Click the button. Sit back. Await Delivery. Sorted. 
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    Great thread Waz. That's the 'right' attitude if ever there was one.

Me personally, I'm waiting for Helix native to use in a studio setting/for silent playing at home; and then still use my nice peds and amp for live stuff.

Also, I want Line6 to scrap the m5 and do a Helix one pedal version. Can you imagine? MIDI controlled Swiss-Army effect for hybrid analogue/digital boards...