Amazon :(

What's Hot
milambermilamber Frets: 118
edited May 2017 in Guitar
I know they are basically just the ultimate box shifter, but I've always been willing to give them a bit of slack in the past, mainly because the Customer Service for after sales problems is so good. However they have been surpassing themselves in the shoddy dept just lately. I've had three items in the last month arrive clearly used and/or damaged in the last month when they were supposed to be new, but the latest one takes the biscuit.

I've been after a used small cheap acoustic for a specific modding project, but realised that Amazon were selling the exact thing I needed new for far cheaper than I could buy it used due to one of their weird pricing drops. It arrived today. New? Looks like it's been sent out several times and returned, then used as a football in the warehouse. First of all it was just sent out in the box, no packaging at all, which is an increasing trend with Amazon. I've attached some photos of the box before and after opening. Guitar covered in fingerprints, strings rusty. Amazingly no obvious damage apart from a chipped headstock, but it's going back. Frustratingly there doesn't appear to be any way of sending photos to someone who matters - can't get past the enforced courtesy of the call centre.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/chriseast/IMG_2220_zpsvnnaky30.jpg
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/chriseast/IMG_2218_zpst2pb0irb.jpg
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/chriseast/IMG_2223_zpsx51gt5sf.jpg
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/chriseast/IMG_2224_zpsfmu44hf6.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    The change to Amazon logistics has been a massive pain for me too. These are all self employed people with cars who deliver when it's convenient to them with no tracking. Often the parcel is battered, and they are so underpaid per item that they literally ring and run to get round quickly enough. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • milambermilamber Frets: 118
    I think that's fair comment to an extent, but in this instance the guitar has obviously been out to a customer at least once before. The box is completely knackered and covered in selloptape and the guitar clearly used. The fault lies with the people in the warehouse on this occasion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14441
    Beyond the specifics of this particular example, given the fragility acoustic guitars, why buy one this way to begin with?

Surely, it would be wiser to go to an authorised stockist? Try several examples. Buy the one that seems best to you. Drive home extra carefully.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Not great.  But you do get what you pay for.  It's cheap for a reason. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14441
    The Fender CD60S is an affordable "starter" instrument that far exceeds what should be expected for under two hundred GBP.

Another hundred quid buys you a Sigma-By-Martin with an under-saddle transducer built into it.

To put this in perspective, these are complete acoustic guitars for less than would be charged for a professional multi-element transducer system from Fishman, Baggs or Detar (Duncan).

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
     ^ I disagree- if it's described as "new", it's supposed to be "new". The law says that you have the same rights with sale items as with full-priced, unless it's pointed out up-front that the reason for the sale price is that it's been damaged or whatever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • milambermilamber Frets: 118
    edited May 2017
    If I was buying it to play as it was a) I'd have bought something better and b) it wouldn't haven been from Amazon. As I said in the OP I wanted something really cheap to mod for a specific project. Basically all I wanted is the body - the tuners, bridge, strings will all go anyway. I knew what I was was getting with the guitar, that's not the issue. It was stupidly cheap and I couldn't get a used and abused one for less. The issue is being sold something as new that looks as if it came from a skip regardless of my plans for it. I could easily have been someone new to the guitar looking forward to my first instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6125
    They pulled the same stunt on me when I had a Prime accounts with them. I ordered a new Nektar MIDI controller through them and recieved.a patched up  manky boxed returned specimen with greasy finger marks and flecks of sputem all over the keys and control surface. A nicked one from a punter with emphysema at crack-converters would have been in better condition. Sent back for an immediate refund and cancelled my Prime account..after sterilising my hands..yuk.

I'll never bother with Amazon again for expensive kit.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Stop whining. Most companies charge extra for relicing.
     :) 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    Was it actually from the amazon warehouse or a retailer trading through amazon? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The change to Amazon logistics has been a massive pain for me too. These are all self employed people with cars who deliver when it's convenient to them with no tracking. Often the parcel is battered, and they are so underpaid per item that they literally ring and run to get round quickly enough. 
    You are right about the poor guys making the delivery. I have had lots of small items recently and when I rush to the front door he is bent down peering through the glass to see if see if someone is coming.
    I have had no problems with packaging and I have been surprised to see  tracking on a fairly cheap Mouse coming from the Eu/Sarl/whatever division.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6125
    jakzek said:
    Was it actually from the amazon warehouse or a retailer trading through amazon? 
    In my case it was from the amazon warehouse.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    If you have the Amazon app you can view your orders and it tells you when the items are out for delivery and it gives you tracking number too. 

I have to to say that I have found amazon logistics to be excellent.  
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069

Me too, although I wish they would be a bit more efficient in their packaging. I got a jig saw the other day, it arrived in a box that could have housed an aircraft carrier. Full of paper to stop the item bouncing around inside it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    No real complaints, based on my own experience, but that doesn't look great..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    milamber said:
    If I was buying it to play as it was a) I'd have bought something better and b) it wouldn't haven been from Amazon. As I said in the OP I wanted something really cheap to mod for a specific project. Basically all I wanted is the body - the tuners, bridge, strings will all go anyway. I knew what I was was getting with the guitar, that's not the issue. It was stupidly cheap and I couldn't get a used and abused one for less. The issue is being sold something as new that looks as if it came from a skip regardless of my plans for it. I could easily have been someone new to the guitar looking forward to my first instrument.
    Exactly.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited May 2017
    If you have the Amazon app you can view your orders and it tells you when the items are out for delivery and it gives you tracking number too. 

I think it depends on your area and who runs the local franchise. 

If I get an item delivered by Amazon Logistics, I get a tracking number and it tells me which day it'll be delivered... Between 8 and 8. 

If it's with DPD or one of the others I get live tracking telling me where my parcel is and when it will arrive within 15 minutes.

They also don't even appear to think about whether it's a commercial address... They tried to deliver a prime guaranteed next day delivery to my school address at 7:45 in the evening. The parcel had apparently been "out for delivery" for 15 hours by the time the driver arrived at our obviously locked school gates.

They have regularly ignored delivery instructions that I've put on the order (If I'm not in, deliver it to number ## next door please) ...a card arrives saying sorry you're out, we'll try again tomorrow. Repeat for 3 days then send it back. 

I've complained multiple times, and had money back. It's now at the stage that if I complete an order and it says it'll be delivered by Amazon Logistics, I just cancel the order immediately and give them as the reason.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I don't use Amazon. If you think about it, encouraging a race to the bottom on price is just gonna mean that's the expectation for every job. Is that the future we want for our kids?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    jeztone2 said:
    I don't use Amazon. If you think about it, encouraging a race to the bottom on price is just gonna mean that's the expectation for every job. Is that the future we want for our kids?
    I agree. I also disagree with their tax-avoiding company structure and the way they treat their staff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9544
    Man, I love Amazon, I really do...

Tax avoidance ??!!?? Get a  grip - I was self employed for years, and I did it as often as possible ;)

To the OP, contact HELP on Amazon and use the 'chat' feature. They will look after you, and offer up to50% off
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom