The allure of single pick-up guitars ...explain it to me, as I just don't get it!

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
With a few threads recently on single pick-up guitars, I have to say that I just don't get it.  Why restrict yourself tonally?  Sure, melody makers etc are nice guitars - but two p/ups would give you more tonal range.  

So, what's the allure guys?  Is it a looks thing, is it the simplicity that helps you concentrate on your playing...or something else?
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I'm not sure an explanation will necessarily help you. For some people, it's all in that single pickup and that's all they need for their sound. Malcolm Young for example. Some will say less magnetic string pull from other pickups, make single pickup guitars sound different or unique.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I love single pickup guitars. They generally look cool as fuck, they make you think and work within the limitations which can in turn push your own boundaries, and they usually have a rawness and liveliness to the tone that is addictive.

Case closed?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Some people would say, with no scientific basis, that there's less magnetic pull the fewer pickups you have. Sounds like woo-woo and very likely is. Some people don't use the neck pickup at all, and either don't care about versatility or just use the knobs and amp to find the sound they want and that's it.
    Look at the people who use single pup guitars and what type of music they play. Punk guitar - full on bridge humbucker, when would you ever need a more bassy sound? Old-school jazz guitar - rolled off neck humbucker, when would you need a sharper sound that you couldn't get by dialing in the tone knob? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30300
    Simplicity.
    I usually just use bridge pickups. I can't be arsed to keep switching and I don't think anyone listening gives a damn.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6194
    tFB Trader
    carlos said:
    Some people would say, with no scientific basis, that there's less magnetic pull the fewer pickups you have. Sounds like woo-woo and very likely is.
    How can this not be true? A magnet imparts a force of attraction on a string, this can be measured easily. Remove one of the sources of attraction and you therefore reduce the string pull. Whether this is significant enough that it is noticeable sonically or in sustain is a separate issue. So not "woo woo" just not necessarily as noticeable as some would say. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • I won't explain... If you don't get em, there'll be more for me! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Some people don't want versatility, some of us don't really use neck pickups. I don't see a single pickup guitar as a restriction at all.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16734
    edited May 2017
    carlos said:
    Some people would say, with no scientific basis, that there's less magnetic pull the fewer pickups you have. Sounds like woo-woo and very likely is. 
    The scientific basis is really really simple.  If you reduce the number of magnets near the string, you reduce the magnetic pull.  

its more obvious with strat style single coils than humbuckers because the magnets in a strat pickup are bloody close to the string.

its more obvious in the neck position than the bridge because the string is moving more at the neck location and gets closer to the magnet

this is all very simple.  Magnets affect ferrous metals

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Its esquires i dont get. One single coil with a three way switch?
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Basically they just cooler than a penguins nut sack!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I love the simplicity of a single pickup guitar. 
    Like many (most?) guitarists I learned to play on an acoustic guitar where picking dynamics, muting, hand position etc are all you have to change your sound. 
    For me there's something liberating about applying those principles to an electric guitar. 
    With more than one pickup i switch between them & constantly think whether Ive got it right. With a single I just play. 

The OP mentioned two pickups giving more tonal range, so would having an entire board of pedals... But sometimes the best sounds are guitar->amp. 
    Whatever works for you I guess. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27132
    I've never played an LP Jr but I Esquire-ed a Tele a couple of years ago and it was really really good.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
    edited May 2017
    Sassafras said:
    Simplicity.
    I usually just use bridge pickups. I can't be arsed to keep switching and I don't think anyone listening gives a damn.
    This for me too. I don't really use any of the sounds a neck pickup can offer, especially a neck humbucker. Don't mind a neck singlecoil used like Tom Morello but it's not a sound I tend to go for in my own playing. 

Plus it looks cooler and means less time faffing about with switches and knobs. 
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Jetfire said:
    Its esquires i dont get. One single coil with a three way switch?
    Different wiring. Tone control engaged or totally bypassed, for example. Different sounds/possibilities from a single pickup configuration.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    With a few threads recently on single pick-up guitars, I have to say that I just don't get it.  Why restrict yourself tonally?  Sure, melody makers etc are nice guitars - but two p/ups would give you more tonal range.  

So, what's the allure guys?  Is it a looks thing, is it the simplicity that helps you concentrate on your playing...or something else?
    The only restriction is not being able to use the tone knob properly. I prefer single pickup guitars tbh but I'm going to build a few HS ones for myself. 

Besides... most of the tonal range you mention is in your fingers.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    I like single pickup guitars - they make me use the tone and volume pots more.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I hated neck humbuckers too. i made a very unique neck humbucker to make it usable under high gain. Now I use it just as much as the bridge in heavy rock and metal applications.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    I only need a bridge pickup for the music I write. Just keeps it simple. A lot of rock music can be played without a neck pickup.

Its like a P bass... only one pickup but works for most situations.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    For me, they never look right.

I wouldn't be interested in it either in terms of not having neck and bridge sounds
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    For me, it only works on slab bodied guitars like a Tele or a LP Junior.  The allure is the rawness and simplicity of it all.  Bit like amps that only have one volume and one tone. 

Of course, if they're built like shit it doesn't matter if they had all the tonal options on the planet.  But if they're built properly then there is something magical about the entire experience.