Suggestion needed: Truss rod thread chewed

Some help or ideas required: I've just got hold of a new guitar that is lovely but needs a tweak on the neck, normally this is fine..however...it looks like someone has chewed the edges off where the allen key would usually fit meaning I can't  really use my normal neck allen keys. Any ideas on what I could do  to be able to adjust the neck?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Do you mean they have stripped the screw / allen key hole ? Do you have a pic ?
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    Y~es they have and I haven't got one at the moment, will take one tonight
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    edited May 2017
    If it's bad, the best solution is usually to get the next size key up, file a taper onto the end, then force it into the nut (with a hammer if necessary) - that will not only usually give enough grip to turn it, it can partially re-form the recess so you can use the same key normally later, without need for the hammer.

If you want to really do it right, once you've got it to turn, remove the nut and replace it. Unless it's a Fender USA Standard, then you're stuffed because it's behind the walnut plug. Unfortunately these are very often damaged like this because they key size is 1/8" - 3.175mm - and a 3mm key will *nearly* turn it, until it slips and rounds the nut. It was really a very poor choice of key size… especially in combination with that truss rod design.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    ICBM said:
    Unfortunately these are very often damaged like this because they key size is 1/8" - 3.175mm - and a 3mm key will *nearly* turn it, until it slips and rounds the nut. It was really a very poor choice of key size… especially in combination with that truss rod design.
    Its only a poor choice in Europe... in the US, imperial is king, still.

Sadly, the other problem is poor quality allen keys - I had a production issue once with a different brand of guitars where the 4mm keys supplied were actually undersized, meaning that they weren't a good fit in the guitars they were supplied with. When we discovered this, we had to replace all the allen keys in every guitar - at the time there were about 600 guitars in the warehouse and each had to be opened, allen keys replaced and repacked without damaging the guitars or packaging... That one task accounted for 50 man hours work, plus the cost of replacement keys.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    For quick and nasty fix a rubber band in the hole (or over the end of the key) should be enough to give you the grip.