Victory V40 and Speaker choices

AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
edited June 2017 in Amps
Hi all,

I've got a Victory V40 head with a Zilla 1 x12 Fat Baby with a Celestion G12-65 heritage speaker.

I know that the Victory cabs come with the G12m-65 creamback.   Any idea how different th she speakers are?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Just tested my V40 with my Victory cab 1x12 (Creamback G12M-65). I get breakup with all my humbucking guitars with the input volume wound up in 40w mode. But this thing loves overdrive pedals.

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited June 2017
    Philtre said:
    Just tested my V40 with my Victory cab 1x12 (Creamback G12M-65). I get breakup with all my humbucking guitars with the input volume wound up in 40w mode. But this thing loves overdrive pedals.

Nice setup mate.

My guitar volume has to be on full to get near breakup.  How is your guitar volume set?

I have pedals but I don't think my problem is with those.  I want to be happy with my clean sound before adding them.
    My guitar volume is on full (Gibson SG). I do also have a closed back 1x12 (Vintage 30) and an open backed hybrid 2x12 (Creamback G12M-65 and a Vintage 30). Breakup is there on these as well.  But I think the V40 is designed to just be just on the edge of breakup. For me I roll the input volume back and rely on pedals for dirt (OCD, Soul Food, MojoMojo)
    ok, hmmm..

Are you getting any breakup with volume around 7 on your guitar?
    Not much breakup, if at all, at 7. But then, the amp is designed this way. Pedals!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited June 2017
    Nothing wrong with the speaker, those Creambacks are wonderful.

Try a boost or a Klone such as a J Rockett Archer with the volume high and gain low to really slam the pre-amp. I used to do with my V40 and it worked a treat to get single coils into a healthy drive tone but with a Les Paul it was sonic joy.

Nothing wrong with the speaker, those Creambacks are wonderful.

Try a boost or a Klone such as a J Rockett Archer with the volume high and gain low to really slam the pre-amp. I used to do with my V40 and it worked a treat to get single coils into a healthy drive tone but with a Les Paul it was sonic joy.
    Hey buddy, nah I've not got the creamback unfortunately. I've got the g12-65 heritage.
    edited June 2017

This ^^^^
    Got to play the v40 at volume for the first time in ages.  Often I don't take an amp to rehearsal. Headroom was fine in fact. On voice 2 it cut through nicely.

But the v40 definitely has a signature sound. I think it's not what I'm after.