Silver Jubilee Mini (2525h)

What's Hot

Comments

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    edited June 2017
    I did this today. Sort of by accident. There's more to the story. I'm pretty sure @CasperCaster is to blame somehow.

Thread to follow....it has been a jolly good day!

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwood said:
    I did this today. Sort of by accident. There's more to the story. I'm pretty sure @CasperCaster is to blame somehow.

Cant wait for your opinion post

Congrats buddy. What a beauty 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24812
    ellwood said:

Excellent work!
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    ellwood said:

That's the exact setup in looking at :) how does it sound? And where did you get it from?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Right. I think I'm going to cool my interest. Get a jet city in the short term and play with that until they potentially get their act together with a wider mini range
    I've had a couple of the Jet City heads (JCA22 and the original JCA20), as great as they are, they really can't hold a candle to the quality of tone that the Marshall produces. The JCAs, tend to get a bit ratty and out of control at higher volumes, the Marshall seems to cope with volume in a much more musical manner.  I think the Jet City 22 is still a great value amp and i'd happily use one but after playing through the Marshall, they're really not in the same league.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    @ellwood apologies again for being so late today, and thanks for your understanding. Given how long I left you alone in a guitar store (with your credit card!) it is only right that I accept all responsibility for your new purchases! It is totally my fault  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    @ellwood awesome looking rig you have there!
    TTBZ said:
    @ellwood awesome looking rig you have there!
    Thanks - am proper chuffed!

FarleyUK said:
    ellwood said:

That's the exact setup in looking at :) how does it sound? And where did you get it from?
    To be honest I have only begun to play with it...but with strats and my 52 special tele it was really quick to dial in strong tones. I'm only on the low setting at the moment....looking forward to trying out high setting. And sticking a les paul through it...

If you are based in the Midlands you are welcome to come over and check it out!
  • jackorionjackorion Frets: 27
    Looks like Mansons (my local store) have a few preowned Marshall bits including the Silver Jubilees at the moment if people are still looking?

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    It sounds way better in 20w setting to me, even at low volumes. 5w just seems to lose some punch, makes everything sound softer.
  • jackorion said:
    Looks like Mansons (my local store) have a few preowned Marshall bits including the Silver Jubilees at the moment if people are still looking?

Thanks for the heads up. I've just bought it :)
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    TTBZ said:
    It sounds way better in 20w setting to me, even at low volumes. 5w just seems to lose some punch, makes everything sound softer.
    Agree! 
  • Bring on Monday/Tues. can't wait to get on it now and to bag one used is great :)
  • timmysoft said:
    Right. I think I'm going to cool my interest. Get a jet city in the short term and play with that until they potentially get their act together with a wider mini range
    I've had a couple of the Jet City heads (JCA22 and the original JCA20), as great as they are, they really can't hold a candle to the quality of tone that the Marshall produces. The JCAs, tend to get a bit ratty and out of control at higher volumes, the Marshall seems to cope with volume in a much more musical manner.  I think the Jet City 22 is still a great value amp and i'd happily use one but after playing through the Marshall, they're really not in the same league.
    Thanks for the heads up. I think I need to consult the internet and procrastinate some more. I may start a thread. I want a new 80s hair metal rig for mucking about with at home
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    @Plectrum & @timmysoft where did you hear about those new mini Marshalls? I'm very intrigued!
  • jackorionjackorion Frets: 27
    jackorion said:

Thanks for the heads up. I've just bought it :)
    No worries man, glad to have helped!
    Grabbed a couple of hours at the unit today to sit down and give some of my recent acquisitions a run. I have a three year old, so the chance to give anything a proper blast is a rare thing. Most of my gear is set up at my office/unit and I don't really spend any time there at the weekends.

Amp-wise, along with the 2525 I have also not long acquired a Rivera Knucklehead Tre combo, and this was the perfect opportunity for some back to back comparisons, along with running through a few strats to see how they all compared.

First up was a lot of tweaking, swapping, changing guitars to dial in some tones I was happy with on both amps. The Rivera quickly arrived at a chiming clear lead, and a way-too-heavy lead setting. Dialing in some articulation whilst retaining a snarl took a little tweakery - but soon I had everything from "Sunshine of your love" through to "Killing in the name of" through the hybrid Highway One/MIJ 62RI and my Creamery-pickup equipped Raygun Relic. 

Swapping over to the Marshall with the Highway one left something missing. There was drive, just nothing that felt fat and full enough to my ears. Surprisingly the clear was fine at the edge of breakup, and playing with the volume on the guitar gave me the headroom I wanted whilst still keeping a nice strat edge. Back to the gain channel.

Whacking everything up to 10 started to get there but seemed a bit of a luddite-approach, so some playing around with the lead and master outputs, (I was on the high output setting) started to yield results. With the gain around 8 the thing started to growl in the way I was expecting. Flipping strats to the Relic left more to do again, with the Creamery-pickups having more of a smooth sound.

Hmm. Time to feed this thing some buckers. First up a CE22, instantly this thing sounded like a Marshall being Marshally on a Marshall day. Lots of thick drive, with the opportunity to tweak out the bass and bring some nice clear edges. Swapping the CE to a classic-57 setup in a Les Paul standard gave sustain for an age with a full, rich, classic rock voice. I had to stop myself just playing "Word up" and "Gimme Shelter" over and over and over and over again. Cracking out the 52 Special Tele and the neck bucker was bliss and put me and the Marshall in a very happy place.

And yes, the Tele through the RIvera was sublime.

So, after messing around for an hour and a half with all manner of cliched riffs - The Rivera is just a monster. Clean or Crunchy it's amazing. Far better than I am and one hell of an amp.

The Marshall? Very very pleased. Feed it humbuckers and you can't go wrong. It will do strats but you have to work a bit harder. That said, I don't do pedals (yet) so I'm looking forward to seeing what the 2525 can do with a decent drive and a compressor in front of it.

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Sounds like a fun afternoon haha. Give those new V30's a few hours (or is that years!) to bed in and you will be good to go :)
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    Done - deposit placed, picking mine up from Andertons on Wednesday, along with the 2 x 12 2536a vertical cab.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom