NVGD 50's Gibson Les Paul

What's Hot

Comments

• skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Yep I'd want to know too ;) 

A very dangerous game game though as my wife has access to the inter web!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XsmnmyXsmnmy Frets: 124
    one less '53 in the world :( , but even a messed up one would be well out of my price range :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Unfortunatley it's integrity as a 53 gold top was lot back in the 70s some time. :( 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    *lost
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Lovely, just lovely
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Thanks for all the positive comments guys. 
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    Hi, can I ask how you found this one? Does this Yukki guy sell conversions or did you have to find the 53 yourself then give it to him? cheers. Will
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    That looks pretty f'n special...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looks fantastic! Is that the Turin Shroud its layer on? 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    Yukki does lots of restoration stuff on old Gibson's that have been abused, the 56 he had that I looked at was bloody unbelievable, looked like someone did woodwork on the back with a spoon

He's on instagram as playergradevintage

Very nice helpful guy that knows what he's talking about

He's also on Facebook 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    I have a local customer with a similar 53 converted to a 57 gold top - still with paf conversion etc - refret - very light - very resonant - re-fret plus neck set and plays like a dream - lots of vintage mojo still, yet  at a far more realistic price
    tFB Trader
    I have a local customer with a similar 53 converted to a 57 gold top - still with paf conversion etc - refret - very light - very resonant - re-fret plus neck set and plays like a dream - lots of vintage mojo still, yet  at a far more realistic price
    looks a nice piece btw
    Thanks G4Y.

I played another 55 conversion down at Guitar Village, it had the wrap tail piece and humbuckers, it also had a reprofiled neck (slimmer). Nice piece with lots of mojo but not for me from a playability perspective, i found it hard work. I ended up walking out with a player grade 61 Strat! picked it up and it played awesomely. 

And yes, I am working my way through a case of early onset mid life crisis........ :)

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Genuine question on conversions - how are these viewed if you ever have to sell them? Meaning, are they still attractive (clearly not to Jobo collectors) or are they tarred with the Terry Morgan vibe?

I'm interested in getting one, but don't want to sit on something I can't move on if I need to

tFB Trader
    peteri said:

Genuine question on conversions - how are these viewed if you ever have to sell them? Meaning, are they still attractive (clearly not to Jobo collectors) or are they tarred with the Terry Morgan vibe?

I'm interested in getting one, but don't want to sit on something I can't move on if I need to

Peter - I don't think there are any of the negatives issues attached to such an LP v a Terry Morgan regarding IP - But to me it is only worth pursuing if it plays 'awesome' and the price is right - My customer paid around 10K for his from the USA and it was landed with tax etc at that but 3 years ago so a better £ v $ then - Most of us don't spend 100K plus on an original 57 gold top, so it is not competing in that market - If it is only a mediocre player than go down the replica route be it Gibson or whatever - But the one I played was a coker regarding all the factors that influence us - feel, tone, playing performance and still has some vintage mojo - This still had an original finish - genuine 59 loom and pick-ups (which are worth a bob or two anyway) no slim down neck but had the neck reset to improve set-up + a good refret - It was special

Obviously not sure what @skippy76 LP costs him
    Hi, 

I think there is a market for them, clearly I was in that market for a short time. They won't be as quick to sell as a reissue but it is doable, at the end of the day they are vintage guitars albeit "devalued" by a refin and changed pickups. Take a look on eBay and Reverb there are some good examples on there from about £10-£20k

Cheers

Wow! that Yukki guy has some ace looking stuff on his instagram. I'm of the opinion that buying a vintag egtr with "issues" is a far safer bet than going down the "original" route. At least you know 100% what your getting and that your gtr wasnt faked by someone.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    There are various niches in the guitar market. These conversions, so long as you know what you're getting, and the price is about right, and you've got the cash to splash, these things could be one way to go. 
    The one in the op is a bloody lovely thing, and if I could tick all the boxes, I'd definitely be up for one like that!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

I fancy selling all my little collection to get one of those -although that may well not get me there! In addition, so long as its truly knackered to start with, you've sort of "saved" a great guitar.:)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited July 2017
    The guitar looks great. The Luthier seems to be taking his cue from the guys who are famous for Conversions. (For example...raising the logo is a nice touch).
    I am not keen on the serial number or indeed  the need for a  serial number (to replace the '53 serial number or absence of serial number). But that may be churlish on my part.

peteri said:

Genuine question on conversions - how are these viewed if you ever have to sell them?

My impression is that there are 100 buyers (worldwide) for every Conversion that comes up for sale. A great Conversion taken to a Jam night will instantly produce 20 UK buyers. 5 that have the cash and 15 willing to sell their Grandma to buy the guitar. All 20 potential buyers will be either Historic or Replica owners.
    (Conversion = Expertly converted Gold Top with Provenance for both the original guitar and the work).

Will we see more Forum Members going down this route? Will they all have a user name that is skip related?
    That would be a bit weird!