LP GAS: Decisions, decisions... *edit* Now NGD

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• zepp76 said:
    I'm biased so will say the LP Standard, I've got a '04 so it's pre-chambering but has the trad weight relief so isn't too heavy. I've also swapped the Burstbucker pickups for OX4 low winds and they have transformed the sound fantastically! It's everything I've wanted in a guitar now. Go and play as many Les Paul's as you possibly can, it's the only way to make sure you get the right one, and trust me you'll know when you've found it.
    '04 standard is pretty much what a current traditional is, '17 trads might not have weight relief at all actually but up until this year they had the swiss cheese holes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 309
    zepp76 said:
    I'm biased so will say the LP Standard, I've got a '04 so it's pre-chambering but has the trad weight relief so isn't too heavy. I've also swapped the Burstbucker pickups for OX4 low winds and they have transformed the sound fantastically! It's everything I've wanted in a guitar now. Go and play as many Les Paul's as you possibly can, it's the only way to make sure you get the right one, and trust me you'll know when you've found it.
    '04 standard is pretty much what a current traditional is, '17 trads might not have weight relief at all actually but up until this year they had the swiss cheese holes.
    Not strictly true- as regards weight relief on USA LP Traditionals it varies year on year. The 2017 doesn't have weight relief, the 2016 does, 2015 doesn't, 2014 doesn't, 2013 doesn't, 2012 does etc..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11607
    tFB Trader
    We have a very sexy version of a black custom in stock right now

Excuse the wrong toggle switch cover being on in the picture  - it's supposed to have a plain one
    But this pic lets you see the all access neck

Weight is really friendly too 8lb 10oz

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4143
    ^ Very nice, but not quite what I'd be after! Probably cost-prohibitive too I'm afraid.
  • R9s are lovely and there is a shift in build quality above your standards. However I could not get on with the neck on the one I had. Just did not find it comfortable and was not overly impressed with the pickups. Get a decent standard or traditional and that's all the les Paul you need 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    Second hand r7 or r8. Play loads, then choose. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    R9s are lovely and there is a shift in build quality above your standards. However I could not get on with the neck on the one I had. Just did not find it comfortable and was not overly impressed with the pickups. Get a decent standard or traditional and that's all the les Paul you need 
    Not that simple.  I got my R8 when I was intending to buy a Traditional.  I played 5 or 6 Traditionals, and the shop had a second hand R8 that I thought was worth trying as a comparison.  It was in a completely different league.

Having said that, I had played a really good Traditional in a shop in Orlando when I was buying cheap pedals on holiday.  That was why I was looking at buying a Traditional.    At the time, I had another Custom Shop Les Paul, and sold that intending to buy a Traditional when there was an end of year blowout, and pocket the difference.

There was a big difference between the two CS guitars so I don't think you can say that they are always better, but when you find a good one they can be exceptional.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    2014 R8
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Having recently bought my first Feline (not this style of guitar - a super strat), and played their Les Paul Jr model (which was very, very close to my 1961 Les Paul Special) - sell a limb and try the Feline.

The quality is amazing, honestly

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7487
    We have a very sexy version of a black custom in stock right now

Excuse the wrong toggle switch cover being on in the picture  - it's supposed to have a plain one
    But this pic lets you see the all access neck

Weight is really friendly too 8lb 10oz

Wow! That looks amazing 
    Red ones are better. 
    May have just found a suitable alternative that solves the budget guilt...

update to follow.
  • Glacial_PaceGlacial_Pace Frets: 10
    edited July 2017
    uksaint7 said:
    zepp76 said:
    Not strictly true- as regards weight relief on USA LP Traditionals it varies year on year. The 2017 doesn't have weight relief, the 2016 does, 2015 doesn't, 2014 doesn't, 2013 doesn't, 2012 does etc..
    Yeah sorry about that, I forgot about the 13 & 14 ones being solid. And the 15's can pretty much be disregarded across the board (if you want something that is vaguely traditional that is, still nice guitars I'm sure)
    edited August 2017

True to form, I threw all thoughts of going for a cheaper option (Epi Bjorn LPC sig, or Edwards LPC something-or-other) out of the window this weekend and blind-bought a 2008 Gibson LP Std Faded off of eBay.

Pleased to say I did not get scammed, and that the LP is exactly as described, i.e. unplayed and essentially NOS.

http://i.imgur.com/QmOthXI.jpg

It's an incredibly light version, weighing in at 7lb 10oz with a 1-pc back, 50's profile neck, and a lovely top hiding under too much cherry. The fit & finish are wonderful, no QC flaws that I can see (excepting reduced finish sanding for this method, and no buffing... obviously!).

http://i.imgur.com/jHpaldg.jpg

Yesterday I polished the frets, oiled the fingerboard, added pickup covers and tophats (courtesy of @flyingv ), and fitted the scratchplate too after consulting my guru, @DrBob. I'm pretty happy with the result so will leave further modifications alone for now until I find an excuse to change something else.

http://i.imgur.com/ouR6LFB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/z6UPXD5.jpg

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    That's rather lovely, really nice top, will be even lovelier when you come to your senses and take the wedge of plastic back off :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nah, I don't normally like the look of them, but on this one it's toning down the clownburst, plus I do prefer the feel of them anyway.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Very nice!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I kind of like the finish in the final pic, kind of like a peach/nectarine burst.  I like pickguards on LP's as well.  Nice score :)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    It's alright that, it should serve you well.

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    Sweet!

I think Les Pauls look immodestly naked without pickguard. That's what sets it apart from a whole host of single-cut wannabes and I do have a few of those. LTD, Washburn, Kramer and Charvel single-cuts all sans pickguard.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom