Do you play your electric acoustically?

What's Hot
munkymunky Frets: 9
Never known if this is just me, but at home, 85% of the time I play my electrics acoustically.  Does anyone else?

If I'm just picking one of my guitars up to practice, or even just to hold it (now that does sound weird!), I rarely plug it in, even though I have my Roland practice amp right by my sofa.

Obviously, outside of the home, or if I'm jamming with mates I always plug in, but at home, I rarely do!

Is it just me?  I guess it depends on the style of music you play - I generally just noodle blues licks, and play with very little if any distortion on my amp anyway.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    Yes, mostly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I probably play 90%+ of my time at home on electric unplugged.

Its quiet enough to let the misses watch the tele and they are more comfortable to sit with than an acoustic. 

But rationale aside I always have ever since my first electric
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 2014
    sometimes.............tends to be what/which ever is closest.. Ive acoustics and electrics within "reach"  - and there's not a great deal (that I do) that I cant do on either,  "acoustically"  that doesnt require access above the 14th of course   :D  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Yes, most of the time..
  • most of the time unplugged for me as well or thro a korg pandora & headphones if i want something raunchy !!
  • Yes mostly, mainly due to having a 22 month old son and trying squeeze a bit of practice in whenever I can.
  • munkymunky Frets: 9
    Interesting!  I always assumed that most 'normal' guitarists, especially the gearheads always plug in, so maybe I'm not that odd after all.

I do have an iRig HD jobbie that I can plug into my phone and use with headphones, but all those wires!  Amplitube doesn't sound all that good either, but maybe it's the apple headphones!
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    edited February 2014
    Occasionally,  but the sound of an electric guitar plugged in is wonderful so that's how I mostly do it.

After all "Brang Brang Brang" is better than "tinky tink tink" IMO. 
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2014
    When I was gigging I practiced at home unplugged, never plugged. This meant that I had to imagine the dynamics of a guitar, at volume. in a live performance because otherwise the practice would be a waste of time. This visualisation was not a problem.
    Whereas...practicing at home with a small practice amp, responding in a completely different way to my live rig, simply did not work (for me)
    Maybe the Yamaha THR (or similar) has solved this problem?? (Other than feeling air move)

Skipped said:
    When I was gigging I practiced at home unplugged, never plugged. This meant that I had to imagine the dynamics of a guitar, at volume. in a live performance because otherwise the practice would be a waste of time. This visualisation was not a problem.
    Whereas...practicing at home with a small practice amp, responding in a completely different way to my live rig, simply did not work (for me)
    I agree completely. Playing unplugged gives you a real feel for the dynamics and inherent 'string tone' of the guitar in a way that a small practice amp doesn't, for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yep mostly, so it doesn't interfere with the wife's telly watching. I normally plug in once or twice a week though, to get some drive going and move some air.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Yep mostly unplugged. I think most of us do. I think it is important though to do both , as the dynamic is different for both
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 2014
    tomstacey said:
    Interesting!  I always assumed that most 'normal' guitarists, .........................always plug in, 
    normal guitarists play acoustics as well   ;)    
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Nope!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9678
    edited February 2014
    Should this thread be in the 'acoustics' category then?

I've often wondered why there are 'guitars' and an 'acoustics' categories rather than 'electrics' and 'acoustics' (goes off to get a life).

PS - I always plug my electrics in.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10274
    For the first few years of playing I played mostly acousticaly but now I have a Yamaha THR10 sat next to my guitars in the living room I plug in alot more.The only problem is that now I find muting the strings a bit of a challenge because I never noticed that I was hitting other strings when playing acousticaly.I think the main problem is how I hold my pick so I'm tryin to rectify this but after so many years holding it a certain way it is not easy.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • I do and what's worse I use the volume, tone and pickup selector and reckon I can hear a difference. Idiotic!!!
    How very rock and roll
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    All the time. Mrs would soon get pissed off with a half stack in the living room...

Often tempted to get a 1 watt thingy but the point of playing in the house for me is the 'grab and go' aspect, quick easy and not having to bother on plugging in etc.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    bertie said:
    normal proper guitarists play acoustics as well   ;)    
    :P

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes.in the week, I don't bother with the amp hardly ever as I can't see the point in practicing technique or scale/arps etc at volume, especially with my results. The weekend is "Amp On" time playing to backing tracks, songs etc.

I like to have the Pedalboard hooked up to the amp as well when I play through it at weekends. On the rare occasions I have the amp on in the week, it's straight into amp as it's a bit of a faff for a "School Night", knackered after work etc.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.