When an amp fails...

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
I'm sure this has been covered before but... ;)

If an amp blows at a gig and one has an amp in a box to get you out of trouble, in my case a Joyo American. How does one rig it up to work with your on board speaker in a combo amp such as mine? Do you simply plug the speaker into the output of the box? I've always thought I'd have to go into a PA or something? But the way the TPS show today has prompted my question ;) First useful episode in ages IMO
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The amp in a box would be acting as a pre-amp to go through the PA. Getting your sound to the guitar cab would be a different matter altogether. I suppose you could hook up a monitor output from the PA to your guitar cab as a means to an end. It probably wouldn't be a good idea though as it might overdrive your speaker and/or the PA
    What you can get is one of those EHX mini-amp in a box pedals (magnum 44 I think they were called) which would be more easily configured to going through your existing speaker in the event of amp failure
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

The Joyo could feed the PA desk but might give noise problems. Best bet is to feed it into a basic DI box and send the desk a balanced, earth free mic  level signal. If you want to be a PROPER Boy Scout have a decently long XLR-XLR mic cable in the van.

Or! Be REALLY backed up and get one of 'our' lightweight transistor combos!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    The amp in a box would be acting as a pre-amp to go through the PA. Getting your sound to the guitar cab would be a different matter altogether. I suppose you could hook up a monitor output from the PA to your guitar cab as a means to an end. It probably wouldn't be a good idea though as it might overdrive your speaker and/or the PA
    What you can get is one of those EHX mini-amp in a box pedals (magnum 44 I think they were called) which would be more easily configured to going through your existing speaker in the event of amp failure
    How does that got into the speaker then @StageStruck if using a Magnum 44?
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I've got one of these pedal sized 5w amps in my bag. The plan B is to just plug my pedalboard into this little thing (it's even got an fx loop), plug it into my regular cab and simply mic the cab up into the PA.

Plus I use it for quiet rehearsals so I don't have to lug an amp around. Oh and it sounds great, which is a bonus.

https://www.peerlessmusic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/imported/HOTONE-MOJO-DIAMOND-5w-NANO-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD-Fender-Tweed-inspired-tone-251868343360-2.jpg

Maynehead said:
    I've got one of these pedal sized 5w amps in my bag. The plan B is to just plug my pedalboard into this little thing (it's even got an fx loop), plug it into my regular cab and simply mic the cab up into the PA.

Plus I use it for quiet rehearsals so I don't have to lug an amp around. Oh and it sounds great, which is a bonus.

https://www.peerlessmusic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/imported/HOTONE-MOJO-DIAMOND-5w-NANO-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD-Fender-Tweed-inspired-tone-251868343360-2.jpg

Look cool that. Trouble is I don't have a cab so how would I plug into the speaker in my combo ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    hotpickups said:

Look cool that. Trouble is I don't have a cab so how would I plug into the speaker in my combo ?
    Does the speaker connect to the amp via a 1/4" plug and socket? If so, unplug that and plug it into the mini-amp. You will most likely have to put the mini-amp behind the combo (or possibly inside the back of the cabinet) rather than on top of it for the cable to reach.

If it doesn't have a plug and socket it's more tricky...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Some combos have a speaker that plugs into the output socket of the amp. If that's the case just unplug the speaker from the back of the combo and plug into the back of the Hotone.

I forgot to mention it's also got a headphone out which can go directly into the PA :)
    Thanks @ICBM and @Maynehead yes my amps connect that way. Thanks again :)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    The answer is a Pignose. Remind me, what was the question?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    The answer is a Pignose. Remind me, what was the question?
    "What's the worst but somehow oddly cool portable battery amp ever made?"

;)

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Would my joyo American be ok to use this way guys? I am presuming yes as it's a preamp? 
    Would my joyo American be ok to use this way guys? I am presuming yes as it's a preamp? 
    Yes - Joyo > Magnum (or similar) > combo speaker.