Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I need a practice amp ! Any recommendations ??

What's Hot
i need a practice amp . My main amp is a jcm800 and 4x12 . No good for home practice!

my journey so far -

dsl5c - didn't like it . didn't seem suited to mid gain stuff.
lead 12 - seemed too fizzy , and the gain pot seemed to either not have enough or too much .

any ideas ?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a Roland Microcube, with 7 amp models its pretty decent for practicing on. Not massive but can get good enough sounds to work with plus it has built in effects.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    edited September 2017
    I have a Roland Microcube, with 7 amp models its pretty decent for practicing on. Not massive but can get good enough sounds to work with plus it has built in effects.
    Me too, it just about held its own in the practice room at Leicester yesterday with volume and master on max!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2017
    Roland Cube, Line 6 Spider, Blackstar HD Core or a Marshall MG15.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • aord43 said:
    I have a Roland Microcube, with 7 amp models its pretty decent for practicing on. Not massive but can get good enough sounds to work with plus it has built in effects.
    Me too, it just about held its own in the practice room at Leicester yesterday with volume and master on max!
    I was very surprised by how loud it actually was for a 3 watt amp!
  • Katana

• flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    i need a practice amp . My main amp is a jcm800 and 4x12 . No good for home practice!

my journey so far -

lead 12 - seemed too fizzy , and the gain pot seemed to either not have enough or too much .

any ideas ?!
    Did you get rid of the lead 12?
  • flyingv said:

my journey so far -

any ideas ?!
    Yes .
  • Do you keep the 4x12 at home?  A Blackstar HT1R would probably do a good job of Marshally tones, the combo is pretty quiet for lower gain sounds but into a bigger cab it works for a range of volumes and sounds quite good.

I have a MicroCube, though I don't use it at home, it's what I use when I go to write songs with other people.  It's tiny, loud enough for home use, and pretty much bomb proof.  Not the most satisfying thing to play through but that's not the point when viewed vs the practical benefits.
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    flyingv said:

my journey so far -

any ideas ?!
    Yes .
    Damn :(
  • Not really a practice amp but if playing through headphones does not bother you, you could get a two notes torpedo and use your jcm800 through it.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited September 2017
    Try a Code 25. The amps are profiled from the real deal just like a Kemper afaik. A good start would be the JCM800 Heaven patch - turn off the pre fx, turn down the gate and the gain and just have a little bit of reverb to give it a sense of space. Adjust presence and resonance to taste. The 25 speaker can get a bit farty if you go overboard with the bass so keep that and resonance at sensible levels.

Edit - little excerpt from something I've been working on for code using that preset on a 50. Sounds good to me https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmcppldzao881se/CODE50 JCM800.wav?dl=0
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Cheap as chips now a days but I have a marshall AVT20 combo. Decent representation of a Marshall in a smaller size, avoid the more gain button and the overdrive is quite nice for what it is. DI speaker emulation, headphone socket and CD in (remember those).

• cheap VHT special 6 and an OCD/Suhr riot (or clone.. or dirt pedal of choice)?
  • Think I am just about to pull the trigger on the Micro Cube GX, the iOS app integration has me sold
  • All good suggestions guys!!
  • Ok so, personally, I'd suggest you don't buy or use one at all.  Just play your electric acoustically.  So many good things flow from that.  Just my 1p.  :+1: 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok so, personally, I'd suggest you don't buy or use one at all.  Just play your electric acoustically.  So many good things flow from that.  Just my 1p.  :+1: 

i find that very difficult, i overcompensate by trying to play it too hard, then when i plug an amp in  the dynamics are all wrong. For quiet practise to not disturb people i use headphones

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Martin D18
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Tech 21 10watt.8" speaker .I use this amp alot.Normally have it cranked at waist level off the floor.This way I can  get great dynamics,feedback etc.Great thing is, it still sounds relatively quiet to anyone outside the room.
     I tried some of the suggested presets but did not connect with them.