Salvage Custom

What's Hot
professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
edited September 2017 in FX
Anyone seen this story unfold?

Apologies if it's old hat.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/salvage-custom-pedalboards.1275684/
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Any particular reason for the title of the thread?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Any particular reason for the title of the thread?
    Hmmmm no idea what happened there. 
  • It's happened more than once - is it an auto fill thing if you don't put a title maybe?

• It is an older, but interesting story... I actually ordered a board direct from them, and it was expensive but very impressive. Still, the communications were poor, as was the packaging on the pedalboard.

Shame for all involved and those who have lost money.
  • It's happened more than once - is it an auto fill thing if you don't put a title maybe?

Hmmmm I blame the lack of IT support. 
  • It is an older, but interesting story... I actually ordered a board direct from them, and it was expensive but very impressive. Still, the communications were poor, as was the packaging on the pedalboard.

Shame for all involved and those who have lost money.
    They looked cool, I remember Dan Tyack (?) in 60 Cycle Hum a few times, quite a character if nothing else. 
  • I only became aware of it from Brian Wampler mentioning it on Chasing Tone last week. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I blame Helix ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    I blame Helix ;)
    The Tesco of the fx world. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    dindude said:
    I blame Helix ;)
    The Tesco of the fx world. 
    Kinda. Kinda beelzebub as well though. I had an engine warning light come on in my car today. I also blamed Helix.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    I like their boards, it came packaged well too, from half way round the world and it survived and one of them is a LARGE board.  What he has done year isn't good though, you can't take your money and for produce what you promised.
  • I had my first dealings with Daniel 4 years ago when Salvage hadn't been about long.  It was pretty much a one man company at the time and the comms weren't rapid but the wait times were reasonable.  I had a fair bit of work go through his company over the next few years and only ever ran in to one issue apart from the increasing delay in build times.  I had a pedal sent to them that had been agreed to have shipped over inside the case to save extra shipping costs from the US, unfortunately that was taken by an employee at the time who then left the company.  I was informed of the issue and a replacement was purchased by Salvage and in apology I was given a rather generous gear case when everything was sent over.  

After the good will I was shown and the positive personal dealings I've had with Daniel it's disappointing to hear a large number of others haven't been as fortunate. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boy said:
    I had my first dealings with Daniel 4 years ago when Salvage hadn't been about long.  It was pretty much a one man company at the time and the comms weren't rapid but the wait times were reasonable.  I had a fair bit of work go through his company over the next few years and only ever ran in to one issue apart from the increasing delay in build times.  I had a pedal sent to them that had been agreed to have shipped over inside the case to save extra shipping costs from the US, unfortunately that was taken by an employee at the time who then left the company.  I was informed of the issue and a replacement was purchased by Salvage and in apology I was given a rather generous gear case when everything was sent over.  

After the good will I was shown and the positive personal dealings I've had with Daniel it's disappointing to hear a large number of others haven't been as fortunate. 
    I have to say I've had no dealings with them, but he comes across as a likeable of slightly full on character, it's always sad when businesses go under, but I wondered if anyone was involved in the lawsuit that was talked about? 
    nickb_boy said:
    I had my first dealings with Daniel 4 years ago when Salvage hadn't been about long.  It was pretty much a one man company at the time and the comms weren't rapid but the wait times were reasonable.  I had a fair bit of work go through his company over the next few years and only ever ran in to one issue apart from the increasing delay in build times.  I had a pedal sent to them that had been agreed to have shipped over inside the case to save extra shipping costs from the US, unfortunately that was taken by an employee at the time who then left the company.  I was informed of the issue and a replacement was purchased by Salvage and in apology I was given a rather generous gear case when everything was sent over.  

Mine was not long after you, like many many guitar related items, I found them through you and I placed the order for my board in July 2014, received it in November 2014.  At the time I believe when I placed the order, his first business partner left him so he was a 1 man band for a while.  It was way before his brand really blew up with doing wraps for Milkman amps, Bob Taylor dropping by his workshop etc.  Before he took over a new workshop and hired a bunch of people.

The second board I didn't do custom build, knowing how long it would take, and at that point (February 2015), there wasn't any news about customers not getting their board as yet. I bought and received this board in the space of a week.

Both boards are actually of very high quality, not something i could do myself.  workmanship is really really good.  I think he is good at making the product, just a terrible at accounting and got himself at serious trouble and now burying his head in the sand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Both boards are actually of very high quality, not something i could do myself.  workmanship is really really good.  I think he is good at making the product, just a terrible at accounting and got himself at serious trouble and now burying his head in the sand.
    yep, I want to love this company and I'm obsessed with Salvage/Creation/Blackbird and the hand made boards like this.

However, some of them are guilty of taking orders and money that they are aware they can't complete in time.  Poor.

I hope that they work things out, but they need someone to deal with the business side of things.
    joeyowen said:
    yep, I want to love this company and I'm obsessed with Salvage/Creation/Blackbird and the hand made boards like this.

However, some of them are guilty of taking orders and money that they are aware they can't complete in time.  Poor.

I hope that they work things out, but they need someone to deal with the business side of things.
    It's really solid, mine has a built in loop, on off power switch, all the joints is sanded and polished and all the wraps are really neat.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sadly awesome craftsman doesn't mean awesome businessman.  I thing people get stuck between making a living - expanding and then overreaching.

Shame as the pics of the boards do look exceptional.