Am I being unreasonable?

What's Hot
geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
edited August 2013 in Guitar
After some opinions...

After much searching, I finally found a Yamaha Pacifica 612 (High end top spec pacificas, now discontinued - Seymour Duncan pups, grover tuners, made in Japan). I emailed the seller to double check the model and pup configuration.
It was on ebay and I bid winning it for £175, given the spec I thought this was very reasonable.

Anyway, it arrived today, and I was immediately suspicious as Yamaha's little model sticker had been removed. The pickups didn't say Seymour Duncan on them, so I got online with the serial number and found out it is an entry level Pacifica 212 made in Indonesia.

I've emailed the seller to say that I'm not happy - I wasn't after an entry level guitar, and wouldn't have been on it had I not been misled. If he hasn't replied tomorrow I plan to escalate it to ebay's resolution centre.

Now, here's the thing - a 212 sold on ebay recently for £150 BUT included a hard case. Mine has no case.

In the name of fairness, I've so far offered two solutions - send the guitar back for a full refund including postage - no harm no foul, OR send me a refund of £30 to bring the value in line with other 212s and it can stay as a spare/project...

Does that make sense? Am I being unreasonable? I kinda feel that I was looking (for months btw) for the 612 or 812 specifically and have been sold something I would never had bid for if the buyer was more accurate...

What do you think?

cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Pretty clear cut case of item not as described to me.
  • that's what I figured, but didn't want to come across as a dick. I think it's gonna have to go back and the search to be resumed...

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yep, not as described and I'd send it back for a full refund as it isn't what you wanted and it serves the seller right...

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not unreasonable at all, they are different guitars, at different proce points, although they look the similar.
  • Excellent - thanks guys. Will be sending it back to him tomorrow. Such a shame - I thought I was on to a winner!

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    Yes, it's as though he's sent you an office chair. It's a different item. Scammer.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Sorry thats a ripoff  - send it back 
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Send it back and report him to eBay. Far too many dodgy people on it as it is.
    I made an enquiry on a SG last week, but I thought they used a stock photo. I asked for the serial number and it' turned out to be 1930s acoustic made in a plant not in existence then !
    Funnily enough it was withdrawn that day.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    edited August 2013
    Make sure you get your return shipping costs back as well as the original shipping - you can do this through Paypal no matter what the seller might tell you - but *only* if you follow Paypal's instructions to the letter. You *must* ship it via a courier with signed-for delivery and online tracking, or they won't accept proof of return if he refuses the refund and you could lose your money and the guitar.

Play hardball too, don't try to negotiate. I wouldn't even accept £30 back to be honest - he's deliberately tried to scam you and deserves to lose out on the sale and shipping, whereas you should get every penny back. Report to Ebay and leave negative feedback when it's all done.

It's no different to if you bought a Gibson and he sent an Epiphone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Totally agree with the above remarks, sounds like a deliberate rip-off and a fraudulent misrepresentation to obtain your hard earned cash.
    I would spare no quarter under the circumstances, it is blatant and outrageous behaviour.
    Check your rights, and the correct procedures with eBay first though.

Yamaha do make exceptionally good guitars, and very under rated. Even the lowly 212s.  Good necks and good build  (I haven't tried the Indonesian ones yet), good value and play well.
    Not what you paid for though, and you should love a 612 / 812 when you get one.
    Good luck.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Agree with everyone above - if this was advertised as a 612, then don't try to meet him halfway. He tried to shaft you and got found out. Report him, get your money back. 
     - Ed
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I remember when the 612 and the 812 were in the guitar mags. I was GAS'ing for one of them at the time.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Pretty clear cut case of item not as described to me.
    +1

If anything you're being too reasonable by offering him the option of the £30 refund. I'd be sending it back for a full refund (including postage both ways).

• Wicked. I've emailed him back and said I want to return it and get my money back. I've said he can either arrange a courier or I will. No response by tomorrow will result in escalation to eBay. I'm determined and spurred on by the thread. Thanks dudes!

Ps mrs geepers also just said that if I get my money back and hold on three months I can have a line 6 jtv 59. Even more incentive to get even with this seller!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    edited August 2013
    No, don't let him arrange a courier! You *must* send it yourself using a trackable signed-for service. Anything else leaves you open to a claim that you didn't return it. Don't trust him not to do that since he's already proved he's dishonest.

Don't even accept a written receipt from a courier on pickup, it won't fly with Paypal. Read through everything on Ebay and Paypal about disputes before you agree to anything, and follow them strictly to the letter.

It's different to the Distance Selling Regulations for commercial sellers where you can insist they collect it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    YANBU.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;16170" said:
    No, don't let him arrange a courier! You *must* send it yourself using a trackable signed-for service. Anything else leaves you open to a claim that you didn't return it. Don't trust him not to do that since he's already proved he's dishonest.

Don't even accept a written receipt from a courier on pickup, it won't fly with Paypal. Read through everything on Ebay and Paypal about disputes before you agree to anything.

It's different to the Distance Selling Regulations for commercial sellers where you can insist they collect it.
    Thanks for the tip. Will book it tonight :)

• Forgot to add - this seller claims to be a guitar shop with a real shop. But it turns out he sells some bits from a practice room.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10470
    tFB Trader
    To my mind you are doing the right thing ... setting the dogs loose on arses like this might mean he'll not try and shaft someone else
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Process has begun.
    Emailed seller to announce intention.
    Following ebay's return policy - seller now has to accept the return on the sale, but it is in the original listing that he would as long as I notified within 48 hours which I have done. He's terrible at responding to anything so now I have to wait up to three days for him to accept the return. Then I can post.
    According to ebay, even though it is a shop, because it isn't a BIN price, I am liable for return postage - still, would rather lose £15 in courier fees than the £175 the guitar cost... 
    Lesson learned. Will update progress.