NPD Some more Strymon

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
edited September 2017 in FX
The only one of the big box Strymons I'd never owned is the Mobius, so went to try one out, and as I expected, the sounds I got from it were so good, good enough in fact for me to put the H9 on the sales thread. I was only using the Eventide for mods and filter sounds, and the Mobius just (to my ears/tastes) sounded better.

Of course with the big three Strymons on my board, I could now be mistaken for a hobbying dentist who plays P&W at the Evangelical Church Of Trump's Hairpiece every Sunday. For a non-medically trained atheist not earning nearly as much as a dentist, that is interesting, but who cares who else owns these pedals: they make a sublime noise together.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    You need some JHS on your board before you go full P&W
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The möbius continues to pique my interest - how is the volume swell in it?? I loved the bias and harmonic trems in the Flint and always like having a true vibrato and phaser but would never want to splash out on a dedicated pedal for either board-space-wise. 

A Strymon M9-alike, or a full on modeller, MUST be in the pipeline right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Criminal using all that Strymon goodness in mono, Binty! ;-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    I CAN'T AFFORD ANOTHER AMP!!! ARGH, I'LL BUY ANOTHER AMP, DO YOU NEED TO BUY A KIDNEY????
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited September 2017
    The möbius continues to pique my interest - how is the volume swell in it?? I loved the bias and harmonic trems in the Flint and always like having a true vibrato and phaser but would never want to splash out on a dedicated pedal for either board-space-wise. 

A Strymon M9-alike, or a full on modeller, MUST be in the pipeline right?
    The volume swell setting is excellent, sounds better than the similar modes on the other two Strymons for me. 

The rotary, vibe and Trem are out of this world, and I don't use much chorus, but they've nailed the chorus sounds on this.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    The Möbius is the only Strymon pedal that I own. I really like it. I only use 3 or 4 sounds and those tend to be slightly tweaked versions of the factory presets. One of the reasons why I disliked the Helix was because I couldn't replicate the Mobius tones....especially the "Fat Phase" which I love. 
    A question on this; let's assume you have a patch bay on the underside of your board - a master in and out box. You want the option to stereo out, but don't always intend to use it. If you connect both L & R outs from a strymon, are you then losing half the effect if you only connect to one amp? I feel like you must be. I keep thinking I'll get a little patch for the underside edge of my board and connect the few stereo pedals I have at the end of my chain to it (Timeline, H9 and Mercury 7) but fear that I'd be diminishing the effects when used in mono (which would be 90% of the time). 
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited September 2017
    Criminal using all that Strymon goodness in mono, Binty! ;-)
    A question on this; let's assume you have a patch bay on the underside of your board - a master in and out box. You want the option to stereo out, but don't always intend to use it. If you connect both L & R outs from a strymon, are you then losing half the effect if you only connect to one amp? I feel like you must be. I keep thinking I'll get a little patch for the underside edge of my board and connect the few stereo pedals I have at the end of my chain to it (Timeline, H9 and Mercury 7) but fear that I'd be diminishing the effects when used in mono (which would be 90% of the time). 
    As far as I know, all Strymons sum to mono.
  • sgosden said:
    You need some JHS on your board before you go full P&W
    Interesting fact: instead of goop, all the circuitry of JHS pedals is protected by the gelatinised tears of gay people and the prayers of Rush Limbaugh.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They do, that's not what I meant sadly 
    I think if you always had the stereo outs connected, but then later only ran the left via the patch bay, you would be losing the right side. If you had a Pan tremolo, it would extremely odd for example as the right side would go completely. Swirly fx and reverbs might also sound a bit thin if they have a panned content.
    I think if you always had the stereo outs connected, but then later only ran the left via the patch bay, you would be losing the right side. If you had a Pan tremolo, it would extremely odd for example as the right side would go completely. Swirly fx and reverbs might also sound a bit thin if they have a panned content.
    That's what I meant, and also what I feared. Do those who set up for a stereo rig really play with two amps at all times? - can surely only be bedroom players? - in a decade of gigging I've never once see someone turn up with two amps. 
  • I use a stereo setup sometimes. However I have a patch bay under my board that I can flick a switch that will sum everything to mono if using one amp. Bought it from bright onion 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I use a stereo setup sometimes. However I have a patch bay under my board that I can flick a switch that will sum everything to mono if using one amp. Bought it from bright onion 
    That would seem to be a neat solution.

Just interested, are you in an originals band or a covers / function band? when do you choose to run stereo?
    Apologies, Gav, I'd had a few drinks last night and seemingly had lost the ability to read posts properly.
    Ooh, nice. Link?
    Ooh, nice. Link?
    There's The Interfacer, which is a nice little unit. http://goodwoodaudio.com/product/theinterfacer/
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • GFI also did one, it was either stereo or mono - auto config depending on the cables plugged on. Bright onion stuff is very good though.
    That would seem to be a neat solution.

Just interested, are you in an originals band or a covers / function band? when do you choose to run stereo?
    Covers / function band. I use it when I have room tbh :)
    Ooh, nice. Link?
    It's not on his website I don't think but call / email him and he'll know what you mean. You'll need the phase and ground lift switch on it too ;)