Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A pedal that simulates a bass when playing an electric guitar?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4985
I have been experimenting, very basic and beginner standard actually, with my Boss RC-3 looper.  It would be great if I had a pedal that would simulate a bass when playing an electric guitar.  I presume such pedals exist.  If anyone can suggest such a pedal or if one is for sale, please let me know here or by PM.  Thanks.  
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    The Boss Super Octave (OC-3) should do the trick. Most octave pedals really.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    EHX Pitch Fork or Micro/ nano Pog would work 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Any good digital octave pedal will do a decent job.  Analogue sounds a bit nicer but the tracking is generally a bit slower and sometimes glitchy, which you probably don't want for this purpose
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72413
    A Boss OC-3 with the mode set to Poly and the range set to cut off anything above the low notes will do the job, although it still won't track quite perfectly usually, unless you modify your playing enough that you might as well play bass anyway!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Digitech drop.
    Can do anything from a semi-tone down to an octave down, tracks really well, and can do a blend of octave down and original sound. All for around £110.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6082
    Boss PS-3 will do it, but as per OC-3, you will need to adjust your playing style to suit it's tracking capability. Quite useable though.
  • Sub n up... Goes two octaves down

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    One thing about the EH MicroPog is that it will track very well.
  • The TREX Octavius tracks very well - it has an octave up and an octave down, plus independent boost
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    I get a reasonable impression of bass via a Digitech Whammy.
  • Any digital pitch shifter set to an octave down should do it. The newest models are polyphonic, older ones will glitch if you feed them more than one note at a time (they don't mind fifths so much, but they can't handle chords).

I've got a Behringer clone of the Boss PS-5 that you can have for £25 if you want to have a bash at it without spending much.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• EHX PitchFork works well for this, will take it several intervals, plus 1/2/3 octave down
  • mike_l said:
    Digitech drop.
    Can do anything from a semi-tone down to an octave down, tracks really well, and can do a blend of octave down and original sound. All for around £110.

the Digitech Drop sounds amazing!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    If you want to spend a bit, and add a GK or piezo pickup to your guitar, then a guitar synth can give you all sorts of bass sounds. It can also add string and organ pads, and brass stabs.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I've been going on about this for years.

Just using an octave pedal doesn't really cut it for me. I've had a number of octave pedals and to me it makes it sound like a guitar through an octave pedal.(duh).  Someone really needs to bring out a pedal with good octave tracking but also with eq and maybe compression (or dare I say even some fancy modelling hocus pocus) that gets the guitar to sound like a bass, not just a tuned down guitar.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    edited September 2017
    Would be a good idea to get a bass combo or something to handle the lower frequency output whatever path you go down.

Think there's a world of difference playing bass on a guitar, and wanting increased bass sounds from a guitar, for the former I'd just get a short scale bass and be done with it.  To simply stick a riff in a looper or something an octave pedal would be ok, but you could just use the bottom 2 strings of the guitar.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Get a bass.

For the price of some of the pedals mentioned you could buy a second hand Squier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Before I ended up just buying a budget bass I was using a Digitech Drop, and it did the job perfectly. Wasn't as keen on the SubnUp, the high octave is a lot nicer sounding than the low octave for some reason. Ditto the Mooer Tender Octaver.