Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Up to 3 grand off new Gibsons at GAK?

What's Hot
I just received an email from GAK offering things like a Historic Select 1960 LP standard heavy aged from an eye watering 9 grand down to an eye watering 6 grand. I'm pretty certain that it's Gibson who are authorising these massive reductions so I'm wondering what's happening here.  A weak pound? A whiff of Gibsperation? It's dawned on Henry that guitar buyers have limits about how much they are willing to pay for a 'lifestyle statement'?

Ok; maybe I'm inviting a bit of Gibson knocking, but I was genuinely surprised to see a) such pricey guitars and b) such reductions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Well, it's not like we don't all know Gibson are in trouble. Their credit rating's in the toilet, the product line is a nightmare (seriously...it must cost them a fortune retooling for all these minor spec changes every year without making their products any more attractive to folk) and they've just borrowed a fuckton of money to get themselves out of the shit with their existing debtors - given their "junk" credit rating, the interest on that will be even more eye-watering than their guitar prices.

I can't see them ever going under, but I can see them being bought out by people who might actually know what they're doing.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds like good ole supply and demand to me, 9k for a Les Paul never works, it's too little for anything vintage and too much for anything else.  Wakey wakey Gibson, it's not exactly a new economic law :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Only 6 grand?
    Cheap as chips then.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
    tFB Trader
    drippycat said:
    I just received an email from GAK offering things like a Historic Select 1960 LP standard heavy aged from an eye watering 9 grand down to an eye watering 6 grand. I'm pretty certain that it's Gibson who are authorising these massive reductions so I'm wondering what's happening here.  A weak pound? A whiff of Gibsperation? It's dawned on Henry that guitar buyers have limits about how much they are willing to pay for a 'lifestyle statement'?

Ok; maybe I'm inviting a bit of Gibson knocking, but I was genuinely surprised to see a) such pricey guitars and b) such reductions.
    if it is a Gibson promo then there is likely to be a similar promo elsewhere at the regular outlets - A Gibson run promo will involve dealers buying additional stock at a more 'realistic' price and then run the promo accordingly - ie Gibson want additional orders from the dealers

Otherwise it could just be GAK looking at turnover, stock holding, cash flow etc and deciding to free up some funds on 'slow moving' inventory
  • Sassafras said:
    Only 6 grand?
    Cheap as chips then.
    Leaves some money to get a decent nut ........yay !!!!
  • if they reduce those black and gold custom SGs and Vs down by 3 grand i'll have one of each!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    My wife is buying a new (to us) car this week - a nice little modern 4x4 - one previous owner, FSH, 35000 miles or so on the clock and it's in almost pristine condition.

Just over £6k.

Or I could buy a Les Paul.

Hmmm… let me think about that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    ICBM said:
    My wife is buying a new (to us) car this week - a nice little modern 4x4 - one previous owner, FSH, 35000 miles or so on the clock and it's in almost pristine condition.

Just over £6k.

The LP is more likely to keep its value!  But it won't help you get the shopping home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    aord43 said:

The LP is more likely to keep its value!
    Not for at least the first couple of years probably. Spend £6k on a new guitar and it's worth no more than £4k the next day. Given the overpricing of Gibsons relative to current second hand values I think you'd be lucky to get £3k.

All of that aside, one is a 1.2-tonne complex assembly of sophisticated mechanical and electrical engineering systems, and the other is a carved block of wood with some bits of metal and a few wires attached.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah and the insurance is probably similar :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43 said:
    ICBM said:

Just over £6k.

The LP is more likely to keep its value!  But it won't help you get the shopping home.
    the guy who bought one last week for 9 grand might disagee about keeping its value
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Just over £6k.

Nice little diesel? ;) 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ThorpyFX said:

Nice little diesel? ;) 
    Haha :). No!

It is actually possible to buy 4x4s which are not diesels ;). If anything replacing my MPV might be more difficult.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I'd be surprised if @ICBM didn't have a solar or wind turbine powered car.
     :) 
  • You know the way you have the bourbon burst or the greeny burst, is the 9k Les Paul known as the fucking mug burst ?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You know the way you have the bourbon burst or the greeny burst, is the 9k Les Paul known as the fucking mug burst ?
    ... so the tea in the mug spilled all over the guitar? That's known as the iced tea burst.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I'm struggling to even get my head around £6k for a new guitar let alone £9k. It's utter madness. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I can accept that sort of money for a hand-carved archtop, the sort of thing that takes an expert luthier two or three months to build. But not for a solid-body electric.

These prices are also *far* higher than the equivalent real-terms price a Les Paul cost new in the 1950s.

A Les Paul Standard cost $375 in 1959, which according to the US inflation calculator is $3,164 at today's prices, or £2,330.

Even allowing for the fact that the case was priced separately in 1959 and is included today, that would still only make it about £2,500.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Alternatively, you can buy my Strat, I was selling it for £1500, but now it's just £300, saving you £1200.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I'd not wish to spend that on a Les Paul made by Gibson either.  You could get a Terry Morgan or Gil Yarron for less for starters. Your into Bennedetto territory for that money. That said the burst market is a lot bigger than the arch top market (and look at what they charge for Citations). I would pay a lot of money for a Monteleone mind you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom