Learning fingerstyle

What's Hot
So, having played some fingerstyle in the past, but with no real technique or panache, I've got back into playing acoustic and would like to start again before getting back into the same bad habits. 

Any advice on books/Guitar Pro tabs/videos for learning? I intend to use it to accompany vocals. 

Things I'd like to look at revising include right hand position. I tend to play with some of my hand resting on the guitar body but this seems to impede certain things, so I assume it's one of the aforementioned bad habits. 

Suggestions welcome.
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Look for youtube vids that start off by assigning letter names to the picking hand fingers.   These should be thumb = p, index = i, middle = m, ring = a;  Some players also use the baby finger and it can be anything from c, e or whatever but I would start with just pima.  Anybody putting videos up and teaching those right off should get you on the right track.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I learnt by playing banjo.
    Of course, this would involve liking the banjo, which I do.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I play finger style  on virtually every style ,blues ,hot rock ,anything but just cannot sync  my thumb so I cheat .Its really annoying .I believe Albert Lee had a similar problem .Wish I could learn it properly though at 71 its probs a bit late (ish )
  • Sassafras said:
    I learnt by playing banjo.
    Of course, this would involve liking the banjo, which I do.
    I had one and learned some Scruggs stuff but not sure how I'd apply it...worth thinking about. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Check out some of Tommy Emmanuel's videos on thumb independence. Alternatively, use the Richard Thompson method of pick and fingers.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4787
    edited September 2017
    I'm no expert on this, but there's more than one way of playing the guitar with the fingers on your right hand. The type of music you're playing can affect the technique you use and the results you get. So if you're looking to play in a particular style, I'd suggest you find out how the people playing that style play and develop that technique first. 

FWIW, I learned to play Blackbird using a classical technique (which is where I started out as a kid) and it never sounded right until I changed to picking it like I'm told McCartney actually did, which is to only use the thumb and first finger, with the thumb always playing the bass notes (classical technique would suggest using the nearest finger to the note for economy of movement). Once I changed, it started bouncing along just like it should and sounded much more musical. This also makes ragtime pieces sound 'right'.

Sorry, no advice about a book or vid - just pick a playing style that matches the style other people use for the music you're interested in and go with that. If you already play with a flat wrist (resting on the body) then a thumb pick might help you with the tone of your thumb strokes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @BigLicks67 - Tommy Emmanuel looks an interesting starting point. Also, @TheBigDipper,  some sage advice. Thanks.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Theres a young upstart calle knoppfler or some such, I've heard his playing is all fingers. Nothing will come of it mind you.

• I would recommend learning with a thumbpick. It feels impossible at first, but once you get the hang of it, your bass notes will be much more precise.
  • Stuckfast said:
    I would recommend learning with a thumbpick. It feels impossible at first, but once you get the hang of it, your bass notes will be much more precise.
    I need to do this.

Also I believe in anchoring the pinky. Tommy Emmanuel does this.

I always used to use all fingers but after seeing Lindsey Buckingham using his thumb even for treble strings at times, I've learned not to be looser with different approaches. 

Also learnt rudimentary flamenco techniques but on the whole I say JUST PLAY SONGS. 
  • not recommended for us mortals, but Tony McManus uses his thumb nail in both directions to get the plectrum fast-picking effect when needed for Celtic stuff

Find some songs you like that are basic fingerpicky stuff, and learn them
    you can rest your little fingertip on the top sometimes, but beyond that depends if you want to do the heavily-damped acoustic style (like John Mayer), or the (to me) lovely ringing open sounds of undamped strings (e.g. Tony McManus)
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Things I'd like to look at revising include right hand position. I tend to play with some of my hand resting on the guitar body but this seems to impede certain things, so I assume it's one of the aforementioned bad habits. 

If you're talking about classical fingerstyle, hand on the guitar's top greatly restricts what you can do.

Normally it's elbow/arm on the top bout of the guitar, wrist bent slightly forward and fingers continuing that bend down towards the strings.

But this sort of thing is hard to follow just from a description. I learnt this from a few books decades ago, plus watching every (good) classical guitarist I could see.

• Play the bass notes slightly before the treble notes to sound authentic :lol: