Boss PH 3

TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
edited February 2014 in Bass
This may sound a bit daft, but would one of these,

work OK with a bass ?

I`m assuming it would, as i`ve got a Roland bass cube 100 with a phaser effect installed so i`m guessing it`s more or less the same, or am i talking crap, as usual  :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• These don't well with anything.

I tried one out a while back, and it destroyed my bypass signal and the tone from the effect was pretty poor. 

This wasn't because of a bad buffer - according to ICBM, it's because your dry signal doesn't stay dry! It passes through a digital circuit, and it ruins your tone whether the effect is engaged or not.

Digital circuits are not bad - but this one is, and you definitely don't want to screw with your dry signal. 

Luckily, there are plenty of other phasers out there that do work well, with bass or otherwise.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    It will work fine, with the reservations mentioned by ThePrettyDamned!

Although actually it might mess up the tone of the bass less than a guitar, I'm not sure. (The Digitech Synth Wah I had was like that.)

If you want to buy one rather than already have one you're thinking of trying, get a PH-2 - the older analogue version - instead. Common and not expensive.

Avoid the MXR Phase 90 though - a lovely-sounding phaser for guitar, but it has very low headroom and will probably distort with a bass… it does even with louder guitars.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
    Thanks for the tips guys, i ll maybe give the one i`ve got a try as it looks like i`m not likely to break anything   :-O (says me with my fingers crossed).
  • It won't break anything :)

(except possibly your tone ;) )

As ICBM said, it might not have that effect with bass anyway, so fingers crossed :) but yes, it's safe.
  • TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
    edited February 2014
    Thanks guys, it now being Sunday morning, i`ll have a go later and see what happens  :)