Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender amps why the love??

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799

octatonic said:
    Clean: Mesa
    Dirty: Marshall.
    Filthy: Mesa

Ftfy
    Nope.
    Mesa is for kids.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:

octatonic said:
    Clean: Mesa
    Dirty: Marshall.
    Filthy: Mesa

Ftfy
    Nope.
    Mesa is for kids.
    The Kids Are Alright......... with that. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited September 2017
    Now its all Scar Symmetry and Meshuggah, Periphery and The Haunted. 
    Well thats the issue right there, if you walked into a guitar shop and said I am into those bands and they tried to sell you a Fender leave the shop fast. Vintage voiced fenders don't have the high mids for this sort of sound never mind the drive or power supply to hold it together at volume
    Right, I know my tones at least the type I like, but are there no modern fenders? 
    Or are they all tweedy voiced things? 
    Fender make the EVH amps. They're branded EVH because of the artist tie in though, but in principle they are Fenders
  • Now its all Scar Symmetry and Meshuggah, Periphery and The Haunted. 
    Well thats the issue right there, if you walked into a guitar shop and said I am into those bands and they tried to sell you a Fender leave the shop fast. Vintage voiced fenders don't have the high mids for this sort of sound never mind the drive or power supply to hold it together at volume
    Right, I know my tones at least the type I like, but are there no modern fenders? 
    Fender make the EVH amps. They're branded EVH because of the artist tie in though, but in principle they are Fenders
    Haaaaaaa bloody good point. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • This thread makes about as much sense as this:
    Bananas why all the love??
    I'm obviously in the minority around there parts, in that I can't stand B type fruit.
    I've only tried a couple but the mushy, mealy texture turns my stomach.
    It's plain that others get on very well with them but I don't see it.
    Chiquita
    Dole
    Del Monte
    Turbana
    Fyffes 
    Them ones I've tried  
    How are you guys getting good tastes from them??

In subsequent replies, you will go on to describe how much better apples are.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    If Fender made a modern metal amp under their own name, no-one would buy it.

That isn't what people go to Fender for. They're not all "tweed-voiced", the Blackface and Silverface stuff sounds demonstrably different to the earlier tweed-style circuit but is still a clean, single-channel amp.

The closest thing they have to a modern-sounding amp is stuff like the Supersonic and the Hot Rod Deluxe, but those aren't universally loved. Even then, their gain stages are in classic rock territory more than full-on metal. Effectively, if you buy a Fender amp for its potential for high gain, you're doing it wrong. I have a Deluxe Reverb, which provides me with a wonderful clean sound to which I add pedals whenever I need gain. They're some of the best amps you'll find for that kind of approach.

I believe this album, on which I have always thought the guitars sounded fantastic, was done entirely on a Les Paul into a dimed Silverface Twin. A properly nasty, biting, snarling tone which pretty much grabbed me by the balls when I first heard it.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited September 2017
    ^forgot about the Sex Pistols album. I love that tone. I think maybe I do like Fender tone, but only when it's having the bollocks driven off it. It has that ragged and raw quality where it feels like it could collapse at any minute. Still prefer a Marshall for rock and metal though.

It's just clean tones in general I don't get I suppose, mostly because I don't know what I'd play with a squeaky clean tone. As someone who never plays completely clean it never made sense for me to have a clean pedal platform amp.

• Supersonic 100 through Mesa recto 412s. One of the best live tones I ever heard.
  • JezWynd said:
    I see you as a Super-Sonic guy.

Beige could be your colour.  ;)
    Have you passed comment on the Super Sonic? They're maybe not capable of Mesa brutality but I love the sound.

Shame they suffer from broken reverb issues. Led me to the Dark Side of Kemper, which seems a good home for you, perhaps?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    TTBZ said:
    ^forgot about the Sex Pistols album. I love that tone. I think maybe I do like Fender tone, but only when it's having the bollocks driven off it. It has that ragged and raw quality where it feels like it could collapse at any minute. Still prefer a Marshall for rock and metal though.

It's just clean tones in general I don't get I suppose, mostly because I don't know what I'd play with a squeaky clean tone. As someone who never plays completely clean it never made sense for me to have a clean pedal platform amp.
    I moved from Marshall Plexi era to Fender style amps 10 years ago. I did this because my tastes changed, I wanted better clean sounds than dirty. That said, I did get frustrated at the sort of driven sounds that I got when I needed them, even when using pedals. Over time you learn to choose pedals that work with Fender EQ curve and adapt your playing style. The sound of a cranked Fender can be immense, my take on that is that when cranked, the amp can no longer deliver the high end (ice pick) frequencies because it has no more headroom to do it. Then you can end up with Sex Pistols "God Save The Queen" tone - for years I thought that that was Marshall!
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    See this might be the issue, I've never tried one at 'loud' settings. 

Ah,well you wouldn`t `get it ` then......
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    guitarfishbay said:

Fender make the EVH amps. They're branded EVH because of the artist tie in though, but in principle they are Peaveys
    FTFY

:)

Just worked on one last week. The circuit is nothing like any Fender amp really - it owes much more to the Peavey 5150. It also has a completely stupid volume balance between the first two channels, although it can be much improved by adding two resistors…

Bucket said:

I believe this album, on which I have always thought the guitars sounded fantastic, was done entirely on a Les Paul into a dimed Silverface Twin. A properly nasty, biting, snarling tone which pretty much grabbed me by the balls when I first heard it.

[Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks]
    I think there may also have been an MXR Distortion+ involved…

Either way, you won't get that sort of sound out of a Twin without cranking it absolutely full up, and it's difficult to find anywhere you can get away with that sort of volume these days! They also tend to blow the speakers if you do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    guitarfishbay said:

Fender make the EVH amps. They're branded EVH because of the artist tie in though, but in principle they are Peaveys
    FTFY

:)

Just worked on one last week. The circuit is nothing like any Fender amp really - it owes much more to the Peavey 5150. It also has a completely stupid volume balance between the first two channels, although it can be much improved by adding two resistors…
    Ah the 50 watt.

The 100 watt has separate controls per channel. It's also huge.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Here you go; 3 Fender Twin Reverb heads:

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

guitarfishbay said:

Ah the 50 watt.

The 100 watt has separate controls per channel. It's also huge.
    I've never seen the 100W. I know these amps are meant for pro stage volume use at which point the power stage compresses quite a lot which may help, and that Van Halen never actually uses a clean sound anyway, but the jump between channel 1 and channel 2 is ludicrous - it's got to be something like 20dB if you have the clean channel set so it barely breaks up - essentially unusable.

I'm really surprised Fender should have put out something so compromised, especially as it's possible to fix it to an acceptable extent - although not completely, if you want a strictly clean channel - so simply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Let's just list, in chronologicalish order of early guitat playing what people generally regard as the definitive amps of all time:

Deluxe
    Champ
    LP Twin
    HP Twin
    Bassman
    Super
    Vibroverb
    VOX AC30
    Marshall Plexi
    Magnatone
    Vibrolux
    Princeton
    Twin R
    Deluxe R
    Super R
    Hiwatt
    SF TR etc etc

Do I really need to go on?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

It's also worth mentioning - totally separate from anything to do with the sound - that Fender amps are generally well-made, reliable and not particularly expensive for their power rating and features, which goes a long way for pro and working musicians. There are a few exceptions, but I can't think of any Fender amps which are on the 'problem list' offhand - even the Blues Junior isn't too bad really, and it's probably the worst of the current range. Although I still struggle to understand the popularity and pricing of it...

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Yeah, metal and Fender amps do not belong. There isn't the grit or the muscle for a ballsy tone. As has been stated before though for heaveny cleans they're almost unbeatable.

However the band God Damn are very loud and heavy at times and they use a few Fender combos on stage. It's incredibly noisy and very nice. Some fuzz pedals fit like a glove with a Fender...some do not.

• Another thing about Fender amps, they are synonymous with open back cabinets, great for a big open sound.  If you want a tight directional sound with good chug  you're on a loser straight away.  If you we're for example looking at the Supersonic as a more modern option it would be wise to audition the head and closed back cab as opposed to the combo.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:

or classic jazz/blues, a cranked champ

That's Larry Carlton - probably via his Dumble/Dumbleator
    Tweed Deluxe apparently.  
    Aye, there is a rig rundown somewhere with a story about The Dan flying the Fender in specially. You are right a tweed deluxe rather than champ. 

As for not liking Neil, I would guess you have not seen him live. Needs to be indoors, somewhere reasonably small. Once you do that, it makes sense.