Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Band Dilemma

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Just FYI, your IT support has corrected the spelling in the thread title because every notification email is making his eyeballs itch.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited September 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    Er....  how do you plan to get a following if you don't want to gig regularly ?

"Grrrrrrrreeetings denizens of the YouTubeternets! It is I, ProfessorBen of The ProfessorBen Band! For only twelve Imperial credits of the realm you can buy our new album on BandCamp! On it I play ProfessorBen Guitars and Amps exclusively! Now also available at T-Oman!"

Piece of piss, this e-commerce, innit?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I found myself in this situation a few years ago and took the covers band option. 

Had a few years of really enjoying getting to play regularly and get paid for it, but eventually just got bored of the whole thing and am currently not playing at all.

From what you say I would think investing in DIY and sacking off the live playing would be the best bet.
    I've been in originals bands for years but never really played in a functions/covers one. In all the bands I've been in there's been some kind of politics/drama/ego bullshit which puts me off the whole thing altogether. There's little money in originals music as well know and the covers thing is starting to appeal to me. Getting some cash for a couple of hours rocking some tunes isn't a bad thing to do each Saturday night is it!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
    tFB Trader
    I found myself in this situation a few years ago and took the covers band option. 

Had a few years of really enjoying getting to play regularly and get paid for it, but eventually just got bored of the whole thing and am currently not playing at all.

From what you say I would think investing in DIY and sacking off the live playing would be the best bet.
    I've been in originals bands for years but never really played in a functions/covers one. In all the bands I've been in there's been some kind of politics/drama/ego bullshit which puts me off the whole thing altogether. There's little money in originals music as well know and the covers thing is starting to appeal to me. Getting some cash for a couple of hours rocking some tunes isn't a bad thing to do each Saturday night is it!

It's definitely a breath of fresh air when you can do a couple of gigs in a weekend and come back home with a couple of hundred quid in your pocket.

In fairness it took me nearly 10 years to get totally bored of it.
  • I found myself in this situation a few years ago and took the covers band option. 

It's definitely a breath of fresh air when you can do a couple of gigs in a weekend and come back home with a couple of hundred quid in your pocket.

In fairness it took me nearly 10 years to get totally bored of it.
    Maybe the transition to covers from originals might be a welcome change, yes. Originals bands are very draining financially and it may not always work out. A couple of hundred quid is very welcome in my pocket at the moment.