Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

whats the point of compresor pedals

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 616
ok ...got your attention now :) ...iv never used them cos i always thought they take away the dynamics ...so whats everybodies views on them ....and what do they do apart from compress the signal so it lack dynamics.....im not knocking them ..its a serious question cos i dont really know..?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I've played a couple but they take to much of the dynamic away for my liking(I know that's what they do!)

Never really been my cup of tea as my playing hasn't really warranted one.

I guess they are a bit like musical marmite, people either love or hate them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Vital for bass, acoustic guitar and vocals.

Not really necessary for electric - pace country.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    d8m said:
    I've played a couple but they take to much of the dynamic away for my liking(I know that's what they do!)

Never really been my cup of tea as my playing hasn't really warranted one.

I guess they are a bit like musical marmite, people either love or hate them.
    yeah thats the way iv always looked at them...just thought i was missing something.. :)
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    edited February 2014
    Look into parallel compression, blending in the compressed signal with your uncompressed tone as opposed to killing all your dynamics. It's a technique more common in mixing but it can work wonders if regular compressors are too heavy handed for you. The Barber Tone Press is a great example of a stomp box adaptation, you can really tailor the compression to add just the right amount of sustain and clarity.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If you're losing all your dynamics, you're using too much compression. Unless you're using one as "an effect" - massive sustain for slide, poppin' squash for country picking - most compressors sound better as a subtle polisher. They even the volume between the strings, make chords sound more defined, and limit the overall sound to avoid any unwanted peaks. In my experience, people don't like them because, on the whole, nobody likes subtle pedals, and because a lot of pedal comps are noisy shit. If you look at them in the way a sound engineer would - more a tool than an effect, you'll appreciate them a lot more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I actually use my comp a lot for late night low volume playing! I mostly turn on my xotic SP for subtle uses as mentioned above (and for that, a comp with blend/mix really is great). But sometimes you may want to deliberately avoid those high peaks in the sound, like when you hit the strings harder. I guess acoustics get this kind of treatment normally, but I use the concept at home for my electrics, like a medium comp setting, high blend and low output.

• They're excellent for jangly clean chordal stuff, precisely to avoid the peaks when playing a really clean rhythm part.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10736
    Am I the only one to use them on heavily distorted signals to add yet more compression for that metallic cathedral-like sound on flashy solos up at the top?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    viz said:
    Am I the only one to use them on heavily distorted signals to add yet more compression for that metallic cathedral-like sound on flashy solos up at the top?
    yep!

actuall I have no feckin idea at all.

i use mine on the strat as a bit of a volume boost and to give it a little more sustain and "life" but without it being significantly noticeable
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    If you dont have one then you need one! cos thems the rules! everybody knows the rules....durhh hello !! Wake up and smell the coffee! You need em all and more! 321 your back in the room. :)
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 559
    Use sparingly for extra bit of sustain, when playing quietly at home. 

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    They're useful in a large ensemble band, if you're playing say tight like say, funk or jazz or something you dont want your guitar jumping out over everything else.

They can make for some nice clean sounds.

Extra sustain for solos.

If you're using a gainy amp at all you dont really need one, since distortion adds natural compression. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31692
  • I think this gives a pretty good impression of what a good compressor does to your tone. Comparisons are from about 3:30 onwards...

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Orange Squeezer -(Mark Knopfler)subtly emphasises the twang on sultans of swing.
    Dynacomp/Ross -(Nile Rodgers) Funk chord playing - subtly robs the playing of some of it's dynamic, that can be predicted and incorporated into playing.
    Dynacomp/Ross - (John Frusciante) squashing the dynamics and giving a rounder tone in Under The Bridge.
    Ross in the effects loop - (Andy Summers) give rhythm playing a cool sort of uniformity.

... and that's just used on a clean tone.

The Zendrive has a natural amount of compression as does a valve amp...

Rothwell Love Squeeze - like a proper mixing console balances the volume of the strings to provide a great balanced sound.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • A compressor CAN "take away the dynamics" ..if used on extreme settings. This can acutally be the desired effect (Funk, some Country picking styles) but I prefer to see compression more as taming the dynamics, rather than eliminating them.

I used a pretty average solid state amp that has an OK but not brilliant clean sound - compression takes away some of the harshness and evens the cleans out with the effect of making them smoother yet still punchy.

I think of it almost as another tone or EQ knob rather than an "effect" as such.

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited February 2014
    I think this gives a pretty good impression of what a good compressor does to your tone. Comparisons are from about 3:30 onwards...

I have a Pale Green Comp, it really really enhances my tone without unnaturally squashing the notes to bits. As Bearfoot says, its the compressor for people who don't like compressors! Had it briefly listed for sale last week after a pedalboard rejig before quickly coming to my senses and realising that its an essential! Pete Thorn's demo really captures what it does well.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ROOG said:
    , when playing quietly 

Does not compute........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    If you can hear the compressor working you might have too much set. Also compression naturally takes a little bit of top end off the tone. Any kind of overdriven sound already has some natural compression going on, also some loudspeakers (i.e. greenbacks etc.) also have a non uniform response to power input and compress the sound as you drive them harder (which is one of their desirable characteristics). It's almost certain that any recorded guitar you listen to has had some compression added (even just a smidgeon). Having a thorough understanding of the tool helps to know when and how to use it.
    There is plenty of good information on the interwebs
    http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/the-beginners-guide-to-compression--audio-953
    https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep09/articles/compressionmadeeasy.htm
    http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/temas/dynamics-processors-compressors_en.shtml

If you want a good small fully adjustable dynamic controller then you could do a lot worse than the Really Nice Compressor on your board or in the loop.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/fmr_audio_rnc_1773.htm

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24676
    I love compression. Whether its natural from an amp overdriving or an outboard unit... I LOVE IT!