The Verve - A Northern Soul

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    As a band they were great early on, Nick McCabe's playing  is fantastic, especially on this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I only listen to the home tapes Nick did on a second hand 3/4 size guitar he got given for his birthday as a kid ;-)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Attended some great Verve gigs in the early days, here's my favourite, worth tracking down the EP but get the extended version.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11786
    Anyone ponied up for the new super deluxe versions?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Anyone ponied up for the new super deluxe versions?
    Not me, a bit too expensive....
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Yes, I like it a lot. All their albums are good, even as has been said Forth, which has some good epic parts. RA's solo stuff, particularly the last album is terrible though. Pap.

I think Urban Hymns is a cracking album, not a weak track on it. I think there is a bit of "Oh yah their earlier stuff was waaaaaaaay better" snobbery going on with UH tbh, in certain people.

If something's good: it's good, regardless of whether it was popular or not.

saw them live at a festival, in the 90s and they were very good. RA has a very charismatic stage presence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    One thing about Urban Hymns is that the production is amazing. You can hear all the instruments and ambient type sounds and it all still sounds focused.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    I once drunkenly ended up in the room of someone we affectionately called "Pear Girl" at uni and the only album she owned was Urban Hymns. I think where it hits it really hits, but there's quite a lot of filler on there or songs that go on too long. Agree with @Lodious ; about the mixing though.

A Storm In Heaven is one of those albums I love so much I try not to listen to it that often - it must be years since I last did. But I'll never forget the first time I put it in my CD walkman and lay in bed listening to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom