Put me off this Squier...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
This looks a great price and I found myself slightly GASing it at this point...

Tell me it's no good, or tell me it's brilliant, but say something, I'm feeling a bit crap today and will end up buying it if I'm not careful!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MHW9N2K/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i5?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00MHW9N2K&pd_rd_r=246d5a4d-b7d6-11e7-a008-71ec069f688d&pd_rd_w=5hArK&pd_rd_wg=HgsfT&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=YNA366JJWN014RB1K3N4&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=187bec3b-0822-4044-bbe9-441718232b3f&pf_rd_i=desktop

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    It called your mum a slag.
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    had my eye on one for ages, but would really prefer the normal tele bridge pickup. To me these don't sound like Teles
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    kt66 said:
    had my eye on one for ages, but would really prefer the normal tele bridge pickup. To me these don't sound like Teles
    I have a Classic Vibe Tele that does Tele sounds really rather nicely.

This one tempts me because a proper Fender one of these is famously what James Dean Bradfield recorded Motorcycle Emptiness with.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited October 2017
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    mart said:
    Just to add some balance, I’ve bought two high end (for me at least) acoustics from Rich Tone, unseen, and had a fine experience both times. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you put it down on your laminate floor you might never find it again.  ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    It's got a pearloid scratch plate.
    You'll end up wanting to put proper wide range pickups in.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    If you put it down on your laminate floor you might never find it again.  ;)
    Slightly creepily, my laminate floor is roughly that colour....
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    Looks like a school woodwork project.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Stop buying cheap guitars.
    :)
  • f hole = f off 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5761
    That might not be the best price you can get but they are really quite nice. 

Did the one I got to play feel like a top end/custom shop model? Nope. Are these pickups anything like the 70s WRH? Nope

All that considered, it was a really nicely put together guitar. Felt ‘right’ in the hand, the frets were finished well and the pickups sound just as good as any HB guitar at that price point, and probably a lot more. 

Snobberies and desires for lovely exotica aside, it’s a tele. Two bits of wood bolted together with the same pickups as the fender version I believe. What’s not to like. :)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    If you like it do it, too much headstock logo snobbery sometimes, Squier make some nice instrumemts IMHO.......although to be fair, some are shit, see if you can try one gefore you buy....mind you, you could return it to Amazon if you dont
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    You only have to spend a bit more for a Fender one with proper wide-range pickups, no? I'd do that.

Not snobbery, I love Squiers, I just know that the proper Fender wide-range pups are a lot better.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    It'll have a really thin neck like most squiers which is my main criticism.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14455
    Try one. Get your hands on its neck. Decide whether you like the way it sounds. If the guitar "as is" satisfies you, buy it. If it does not, don't buy it.

In your position, I would restrict upgrading modifications to the controls, tuners and bridge saddles.
    Jack_ said:
    You only have to spend a bit more for a Fender one with proper wide-range pickups, no? I'd do that.
    The £358.23 being asked by Amazon UK for the entire Squier Thinline Tele might buy you one and a half "proper" FWR humbuckers. No guitar. Just pickups.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • steersteer Frets: 1189
    With any guitar showing its grain, would you not prefer to see it in the flesh first, to ensure the grain is to your liking? 
    Alnico said:
    Stop buying cheap guitars.
    :)
    This is probably the answer, I really don't need to keep buying guitars, I've got too many anyway...

They are such nice things though!
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Jack_ said:

Not snobbery, I love Squiers, I just know that the proper Fender wide-range pups are a lot better.
    Fender haven't made "proper wide-range pickups" for ages unless I'm missing something?
    The ones they put in their 72 Custom reissues et al are just re-covered humbuckers AFAIK.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14455
    FX_Munkee said:
    Fender haven't made "proper wide-range pickups" for ages unless I'm missing something? The ones they put in their 72 Custom reissues et al are just re-covered humbuckers AFAIK.
    This is why my local Fender dealership still has an AVRI 72 hanging on the wall. I gave serious consideration to buying it but the modern American-made humbucker sounded too ordinary. It lacked a certain something.

At about the same time, a long-standing eBay search discovered a N.O.S. Wide Range humbucker in France. Vendor wanted about €300 for it. (Approximately £225 at the time!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.