Is the cali76 really true bypass?

lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
My vintage spec fuzzface cannot sit after a bypassed cali76 from origin effects. I would never use the two pedals together, comp into fuzz, so I assumed that the cali76 in bypass would have no effect on my fuzz. Instead the volume on the fuzz is increased enormously. 
In the cali's defence, the Cali after a fuzz works incredibly well without losing much of the fuzz character, unlike other compressors that are defeated by the fuzz overload. 
A true bypassed wah has no impact on the fuzz tone. So the bypass feature on the Cali must not be true bypass. 
Btw, I love my cali76. For clean tone it is always on. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6073
    Don't know which version of Cali76 you have but the big box version has internal jumpers to select bypass type.
  • Compact series pedals is fixed buffered bypass, they have the explanation on the site I think - something along the lines of true buffered bypass eliminates complex workarounds to make noiseless
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Mystery solved. Thank you @mynamesnotbob ;
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    A simple check would be to switch the pedal off, unplug the power cable from the pedal, and see if you still get signal into your amp.
  • Maynehead said:
    A simple check would be to switch the pedal off, unplug the power cable from the pedal, and see if you still get signal into your amp.
    -this won't tell you for certain if it's true bypass. 

/pedant