Bass build.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27598
    I think I'm going to do the same finish on the back too.

FIrstly because I like the way it's turning out.

Secondly because the edges are all substantially rounded-over, so there's no clear definition line for a change in finish front/back.
    :)

Think I might recess the cavity cover into the body rather than it standing proud of the top. 

Just need to find a suitable piece of something to use.  Possibly a piece of the Ash offcut, probably stained black?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    TTony said:
    I think I'm going to do the same finish on the back too.

FIrstly because I like the way it's turning out.

Secondly because the edges are all substantially rounded-over, so there's no clear definition line for a change in finish front/back.
    :)

Think I might recess the cavity cover into the body rather than it standing proud of the top. 

Just need to find a suitable piece of something to use.  Possibly a piece of the Ash offcut, probably stained black?
    Or a custom cut record LP - that would look interesting ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    a custom cut record LP - that would look interesting ;)
    Sure would, considering that an LP disc is 12" and the long axis on a P Bass pickguard is approximately 16". ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    a custom cut record LP - that would look interesting ;)
    Sure would, considering that an LP disc is 12" and the long axis on a P Bass pickguard is approximately 16". ;)
    Ah but Tony is talking about no pickguard....!
    For now.
    For now.
    I don't know of anyone who changes their mind during a build.

Er....
    No pickguard.
    ;)

Why anyone  would choose to put a horrible piece of plastic on the front of a beautiful piece of wood is beyond me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    TTony said:
    No pickguard.
    ;)

Why anyone  would choose to put a horrible piece of plastic on the front of a beautiful piece of wood is beyond me.

I agree absolutely.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TTony said:
    Second coated.

That looks yummy....
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    I'm liking the Crimson stain... if someone would make me a semi-acoustic bass body, I could see myself applying some of that to it..  

Is that a hint ?

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    GSPBASSES said:
    I'm liking the Crimson stain... if someone would make me a semi-acoustic bass body, I could see myself applying some of that to it..  

Is that a hint ?
    Would I? Would I do that... would I?

I do have an idea in mind for something...  a little something... if you had a wee spot in your build schedule :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader

Cool stuff..  Love the colour..  I want to use a Crimson stain and their oil on an upcoming build.... Anyone used their oil?

I used ebony dust as a grain filler once when I was doing a natural finish but wanted to highlight the grain..  Came out pretty cool I think..

https://i.imgur.com/sDuxCWP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FKDBm64.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Qx4kXg6.jpg

Ive also wanted to do a bass project for a while...  Maybe early next year...

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GSPBASSES said

Is that a hint ?
    Wis'd @GSPBASSES ;
    ;)

Got the back black-stained, rubbed back and re-stained now too.

Looks pretty similar to the front after one coat,  so I'm  happy that it's going to progress in a similar way tomorrow.

The neck has been tru-oiled and wet-sanded.  The flame is starting to emerge

The neck is also starting to feel like only something that's been wet-sanded wtih tru-oil can feel. 

Silky smooth.  

Real quality silk silky smooth.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    I do indeed make semi acoustic basses along the same construction lines as an F hole Tele.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GSPBASSES said:
    I do indeed make semi acoustic basses along the same construction lines as an F hole Tele.

PM'd you. ;)
  • GSPBASSES said:

PM'd you. ;)
    Smoothly done that. Look how quickly you got a bite. ;)

As an aside, loving that stain @TTony that’s come out very well.
    GSPBASSES said:

PM'd you. ;)
    Bugger off and do your buying on your own thread.
    :D

Today:
    Third coat of Crimson (Cherry Red) stain on the body, front and back, and then a couple of coats of Eze-Oil on the front.

Pics just after the second coat was applied

I'm thinking perhaps one more coat of Eze, and then some wet-sanding & buffing.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    No pickguard. ;) Why anyone would choose to put a horrible piece of plastic on the front of a beautiful piece of wood is beyond me.
    Seems like a strong argument for having specified a rear access control cavity. :)
    TTony said:
    No pickguard. ;) Why anyone would choose to put a horrible piece of plastic on the front of a beautiful piece of wood is beyond me.
    Seems like a strong argument for having specified a rear access control cavity. :)
    Indeed - if it had been a custom build, then I could have done, but it was one of GSP's stock bodies.

Also, I hadn't realised that the P p'up cavities are routed in the expectation that they'd be covered by a scratch plate.

So I'm currently having a bit of a rethink, and trying to decide just how brave I want to be. 
    1. The easy, but aesthetically unpleasing, option is to put a standard-ish scratch plate on it.
    2. The still easy, and less unpleasing, option is to cut down a standard plate to cover the p'up & control cavities
    3. The still easy, as above, but make the custom scratch plate out of some more interesting material
    4. The less easy, but more pleasing, option is to make some p'up surrounds and go back to planA for the control cover
    (plan A was to inset the cover material into the body, and I think there's a bit of scrap Ash that would serve the purpose with good enough grain matching).

I also realised that I should really have marked out the position for the bridge - and drilled the holes - before starting to put the finish on.  It's been a while since I've put a guitar together, and I was too impatient to see if the finish idea would work out.  No biggie, I'll just have to use plenty of masking tape tomorrow.
    TTony said:
    I also realised that I should really have marked out the position for the bridge - and drilled the holes - before starting to put the finish on.
    Pilot holes, maybe. Anything much bigger (or countersunk) would probably take the dye differently to the surrounding area.