Undercover Boss USA at Peavey CH4

What's Hot
CabicularCabicular Frets: 2015
normally don’t go in for this nonsense but it’s interesting if you manage to catch it
Usually the companies that do this are doing well .... 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

  • I watched it when I was unemployed, probably nearly a year ago now. I think it was filmed just before they moved the production to China so it's older than that. I've watched a couple of other episodes ( the bikini bar I remember one because I struggled to believe such a place existed let alone was a successful chain, just nasty) and they seem to be bits of fluff for the companies involved but Peavey still managed to come across very badly. 


    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 26282
    I haven't seen it, but is it a bit like Apple under Steve Jobs? - ie a highly driven authoritarian who did not suffer fools, or even people just trying to do a good job and making a mistake… not easy to work for.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    I haven't seen it, but is it a bit like Apple under Steve Jobs? - ie a highly driven authoritarian who did not suffer fools, or even people just trying to do a good job and making a mistake… not easy to work for.
    From memory no. The boss is Hartley Peavey's son in law (?) who seems a bit clueless and Hartley himself just a figurehead who seems happy to rest his laurels on his big pile of money. Long suffering employees who had promises made to them that didn't happen. Peavey try to make it all ok with some more promises but then the post script is that those didn't happen either as they made them all redundant and shifted production to China. 
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 26282
    EricTheWeary said:

    From memory no. The boss is Hartley Peavey's son in law (?) who seems a bit clueless and Hartley himself just a figurehead who seems happy to rest his laurels on his big pile of money. Long suffering employees who had promises made to them that didn't happen. Peavey try to make it all ok with some more promises but then the post script is that those didn't happen either as they made them all redundant and shifted production to China. 
    Ah, OK. I'm sure I'd read that Hartley was a bit 'uncompromising' to work for, but that's probably a long time ago.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

    From memory no. The boss is Hartley Peavey's son in law (?) who seems a bit clueless and Hartley himself just a figurehead who seems happy to rest his laurels on his big pile of money. Long suffering employees who had promises made to them that didn't happen. Peavey try to make it all ok with some more promises but then the post script is that those didn't happen either as they made them all redundant and shifted production to China. 
    Ah, OK. I'm sure I'd read that Hartley was a bit 'uncompromising' to work for, but that's probably a long time ago.
    Presumably all this is fresher in @Cabicular 's mind than mine but Hartley was only briefly in it. 

    Quick Google says it was first aired in the USA in February 2015 so I guess the filming was in 2014. There's another bit where he goes to the Peavey showcase shop in Hollywood (IIRC) and the gear doesn't work. 

    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 3793
    ICBM said:
    I haven't seen it, but is it a bit like Apple under Steve Jobs? - ie a highly driven authoritarian who did not suffer fools, or even people just trying to do a good job and making a mistake… not easy to work for.

    Hmm. Seems like a bit of a Bandit to me.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mbembe Frets: 152
    They just need to be a bit more diplomatic. Maybe an Envoy might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2015
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

    From memory no. The boss is Hartley Peavey's son in law (?) who seems a bit clueless and Hartley himself just a figurehead who seems happy to rest his laurels on his big pile of money. Long suffering employees who had promises made to them that didn't happen. Peavey try to make it all ok with some more promises but then the post script is that those didn't happen either as they made them all redundant and shifted production to China. 
    Ah, OK. I'm sure I'd read that Hartley was a bit 'uncompromising' to work for, but that's probably a long time ago.
    Presumably all this is fresher in @Cabicular 's mind than mine but Hartley was only briefly in it. 

    Quick Google says it was first aired in the USA in February 2015 so I guess the filming was in 2014. There's another bit where he goes to the Peavey showcase shop in Hollywood (IIRC) and the gear doesn't work. 

    You are bang on, I didn’t realise it was so long ago
    they had what looked like a 5000 sq ft warehouse with a dozen people working in it.
    But all their bullshit platitudes went out the window and they made everyone redundant and moved all the work to China.
    its the first time I’ve seen one of these where everyone was worse off at the end!
    I hate the format anyway
    The boss works under cover
    he works with 3 or 4 people
    he realises they are being horribly exploited and under paid
    He gives them generous bonus packages to look after sick loved ones or pay their own education or medical bills
    He then received the plaudits if those same employees
    it all leaves me thinking
    what must the other 300 employees who presumably work under the same conditions think about it?
    America
    Where crushing poverty is a character flaw 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 15784
    thermionic said:
    Hmm. Seems like a bit of a Bandit to me.
    Classic!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NeilNeil Frets: 1891
    It was actually a very sad story and I felt for the loyal employees. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2015
    I'd love to see a Gibson one ..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.