Looking for a Luthier who can make a replica

What's Hot
Hi, Im thinking about commissioning a high quality replica guitar and was wondering if anyone out there can recommend a UK guitar builder? i have been looking at builders in Europe but would like to keep the project a bit more local. Replicas of this guitar are available to buy but I would rather give the money to someone who has learnt their craft rather than a big corporation plus it would be nice to get something which i have been a part of the decision making process. 

Anyways if anyone knows of anybody that is good and reliable please send their details my way. 

Thanks

Alex
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi and welcome, we’ve got a load of great luthiers here that I’m sure will be able to help you, along with build threads showcasing their work.

What is it you are looking to build?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah thanks, Im sure Luthiers hear it all the time but I'm looking to get a replica LP 59 built. Ideally aged.

Thanks 

Alex 
  • Calling @richardhomer ;
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    ^ shall we have a sweep on what he says?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    May I humbly suggest that you get a Gibson R8 or R9 instead of a custom build, apart from the terrible depreciation you’ll have at least an idea what you are buying 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ah thanks, Im sure Luthiers hear it all the time but I'm looking to get a replica LP 59 built. Ideally aged.

Thanks 

Alex 
    Would you want it to say Gibson on the headstock @designerseye88
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is this thread going to descend into one of those Terry Jones arguments?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Is this thread going to descend into one of those Terry Jones arguments?
    I'll pay for another 5 minutes

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    The custom route would be an interesting (and cheaper?) option but I cannot see the advantage unless you were going to specify certain features that weren't present in a Gibson R8/9. What would a decent luthier charge? £3/4k? 

I would also refute the belief that reissues aren't made by people that have learned their craft. My understanding is that the custom shop guys are fairly well versed in their work. The results certainly look good to me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2382
    I think an expert like @Ossyrocks would be able to point you in the right direction. I would message him. Replica's are a sensitive subject and not always best discussed on here. Good luck.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Another forum favourite, MD Phillips.
    He can make you anything as long as you've got gigantic hands.
     :) 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16689
    Strat54 said:
    I think an expert like @Ossyrocks would be able to point you in the right direction. I would message him. Replica's are a sensitive subject and not always best discussed on here. Good luck.
    It does depend on the definition of replica.   Replicas with Gibson logo's get a hard time on here, but replicas with the builders logo don't at all.

The other thing to consider is which features of the 59 burst are important to you, as it will massively affect price and availability.   To some its the logo.  That is illegal, but it is there choice to make.    

The big problem with replicas for me is they are often judged by their accuracy to an original, and not their value as a guitar.  hence gibson can advertise on the accuracy of its plastics as if its a really big deal.

I make the occasional gibson style guitar (a statement, not an advert.  I am not looking for work) I wouldn't class them as replicas and purposely deviate from gibson spec to make sure they don't end up being judged the way replicas are.

So to answer the OP.   Might be worth a chat with @customkits or worth a look at @RiftAmps burst thread built by Anthony Ryder
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107765/ngd-burst/p1

• Thanks for all the info, much appreciated
  • @designerseye88  PM me my friend, and all will be revealed :+1: 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Just in case anyone suggests me - obviously I don't do clones of such guitars and certainly don't entertain putting other makers names on . I am happy to make a Lion with the features that we like making them with , maybe with a colour scheme, neck size and pickup choices that will evoke much of the spirit of such a guitar.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3217
    edited November 2017
    @designerseye88  PM me my friend, and all will be revealed 1 
    Much better than a clone. We’ve all seen the evidence. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    cj73 said:
    Ah thanks, Im sure Luthiers hear it all the time but I'm looking to get a replica LP 59 built. Ideally aged.

Thanks 

Alex 
    Would you want it to say Gibson on the headstock @designerseye88
    Oh yeah, he'll want the name on it. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Joe Wihte - I have seen a replica of 57 Tele he did as a commission and was superb

https://www.jwhite-guitarworkshops.co.uk/

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>