Metal film cap ok in power supply ?

AlmachAlmach Frets: 105
I'm tidying up a recently acquired Prosonic. It needs a 4.7uF 500V electrolytic ( C203 ) but I can't find anything close to that. I've ordered a 4.7 uF 630V polyprop off ebay will this be OK ? It looks like the ESR , ripple current etc are better than than the old wet technology.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3166
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    Noooooooo.

I have one in stock, DM your address and I'll send it out FoC.

EDIT: Is it axial, or radial?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Are you sure that's not a typo on the schematic for 47uF? That would be a much more normal value for a power supply cap there. Check the existing cap (if it's original). I haven't been inside a Prosonic for a long time so I can't remember…

If it is a 4.7uF and a non-electrolytic cap can be found in the right value and physical size with the same or better voltage rating then it will be fine to use.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1634

I think typo as well IC. Where is it in the circuit. MIGHT be a downstream decoupler in the pre amp circuit but if so pretty mean designer! Always used to be 8mfd but 10 is the minimum these days.

Dave.

ecc83 said:
    I think typo as well IC. Where is it in the circuit.
    According to the schematic it's the node 2 filter cap, immediately after the choke. Node 1 is 50uF (stacked 100s) and node 3 is a 47.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

If it is a 4.7uF and a non-electrolytic cap can be found in the right value and physical size with the same or better voltage rating then it will be fine to use.
    In theory, yes.

The reason I screamed 'Noooooo' is that I've had two Prosonics across my bench in the past year, both with burnt out chokes and a shorted 4.7uf Poly in that position. Interestingly, both were recapped by the same tech. I now stock that value EC for this exact reason.

Can't explain it, but a 4.7uf 500v elec is cheaper than a choke replacement :)
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

edited November 2017
    RiftAmps said:

In theory, yes.

The reason I screamed 'Noooooo' is that I've had two Prosonics across my bench in the past year, both with burnt out chokes and a shorted 4.7uf Poly in that position. Interestingly, both were recapped by the same tech. I now stock that value EC for this exact reason.
    So is that actually the stock value? And if so is it meant to be?! It wouldn't surprise me completely if it was a factory mistake, it seems like such an odd value to use there. Or the other tech was just going from the schematic.

I've only ever worked on a couple of Prosonics and unfortunately my memory is going a bit as to what was in them.

RiftAmps said:

Can't explain it, but a 4.7uf 500v elec is cheaper than a choke replacement
    That is also why all amps should have an HT fuse!

• AlmachAlmach Frets: 105
    47uF ? Could be , the outline on the board suggest that. OTOH a GZ34 is only rated for 60uF cap load.

anyhoo, on to the pictures ...

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    edited November 2017
    No the original design is def a 4.7uF axial, on your amp the main caps have also been replaced using radials with an extension on one leg, which I don't personally like but you do see quite often (mainly by people who haven't got the right bits to do the job s ).  

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:

In theory, yes.

So is that actually the stock value? And if so is it meant to be?! It wouldn't surprise me completely if it was a factory mistake, it seems like such an odd value to use there. Or the other tech was just going from the schematic.

I've only ever worked on a couple of Prosonics and unfortunately my memory is going a bit as to what was in them.

RiftAmps said:

Can't explain it, but a 4.7uf 500v elec is cheaper than a choke replacement
    That is also why all amps should have an HT fuse!
      Thinking about it, I suppose 4.7uf could be a typo that was carried through to production. There's certainly no harm in upping the value to 22uf, or even 47uf.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    RiftAmps said:

Thinking about it, I suppose 4.7uf could be a typo that was carried through to production. There's certainly no harm in upping the value to 22uf, or even 47uf.
    Presumably that might make the amp marginally quieter as well?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    RiftAmps said:
    ICBM said:

In theory, yes.

Can't explain it, but a 4.7uf 500v elec is cheaper than a choke replacement :)
    Many film caps aren't rated for continuous AC operation.
    RiftAmps said:

It would be interesting to find out what, if any, difference it makes to the sound.

If none I think it can be assumed to be a production error caused by a typo. If it does change the sound, then it's a deliberate choice.

jpfamps said:

There shouldn't be much AC on it in that position after the choke though.

I don't know what the ripple voltage will be, but I would guess less than the signal voltage in something like a phase inverter coupling cap position.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1634

Ref the two radial caps in series (?) I suspect they are 10mfd at well under 500V and therefore should have had equalizing  resistors across them. I agree ALL amps should have HT fuses and HT bleed resistors are very, very desirable.

Re foil V electrolytic? One place where you DON'T want to replace electros' with foil is a speaker crossover network. Even if the value is spot one the frequency response goes to ***T!

Dave.

Apparently Carr use metal film throughout. Mallory 150 in the signal chain and Solen in the PS.

I've got a 22uF@500V that is going in, my cloth ears won't notice the difference.

A recent sticker inside the amp suggests if you live in essex amp repair standards can be variable. I would be mighty ticked off if somebody did a hack job like this on my amp !
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Poly Film caps are used in lots of amps power supplies and a number of high gain amps in parallel with the electrolytics, there is perhaps something in this amp that causes them to blow though.

I think I have some 4.7uf F&T caps around, you can certainly get them easy enough to avoid going the poly route.

@Almach If that was my amp I would pull the board and do the job properly
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    RiftAmps said:

It would be interesting to find out what, if any, difference it makes to the sound.

If none I think it can be assumed to be a production error caused by a typo. If it does change the sound, then it's a deliberate choice.

jpfamps said:

There shouldn't be much AC on it in that position after the choke though.

I don't know what the ripple voltage will be, but I would guess less than the signal voltage in something like a phase inverter coupling cap position.
    There will be some ripple current though.

Alternatively they could be fake caps! 
    True!

OK caps done, my 25W Antex struggled with those ground planes !

First thing I did was checked the bias. Switch to SS rectification , 474V on the CT and err ... 474V on both anodes. OT primaries measure around 55 Ohms each. Bias pot is roughly central and there's -51V on the grid.
    Looking closer someone has added two 1.5K resistors in series with the grids of the output valves, Those 220Ks are fed from the bias pot via the brown wire.

Those resistors should be at the valve socket ends of the green and purple wires not the PCB end.

Does the amp sound any different with the 22uF cap?