Crypto Currency

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Anyone bought any Bitcoin or similar currency?

I've had a recommendation for Elixir but have no experience in trading in Crypto Currency. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Fuengi said:

I've had a recommendation for Elixir
    Their currency is coated and lasts longer..
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've heard good things about elysium, ripple and a couple of others I've forgotten the names of. 

Bitcoin itself is spiking *so* sharply that it's inevitably going to crash in the coming days/weeks. I'll buy some at that point. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I’ve got a bit tucked away in BitCoin, Ethereum, and LiteCoin. Nothing life-changing, but the past few weeks have been interesting. I’m holding out for a while though and seeing what happens over the next couple of years - same story as any investment: don’t put in what you can’t afford to lose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've no direct experience of crypto currency, but I understand that if the hardware on which it is stored fails then you lose it, so it's the same as losing physical cash. Also, your digital wallet needs to be secure as there have been reported cases of hackers stealing currency. The huge rises in value of some of the currencies over the past year suggest investing could be a bit of a roller coaster ride, but it may help fund some nice new guitar gear!
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I've heard good things about elysium, ripple and a couple of others I've forgotten the names of. 

Bitcoin itself is spiking *so* sharply that it's inevitably going to crash in the coming days/weeks. I'll buy some at that point. 
    Lots and lots of pain coming for some...

Bitcoin is weird as its backed by absolutely nothing at all yet people part with thousands for a bit.
  • Garthy said:
    I've heard good things about elysium, ripple and a couple of others I've forgotten the names of. 

Bitcoin is weird as its backed by absolutely nothing at all yet people part with thousands for a bit.
    You could say the same about gold. Or dollars. Things only have value if enough people believe they do. That's all that's happening here. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Garthy said:

You could say the same about gold. Or dollars. Things only have value if enough people believe they do. That's all that's happening here. 
    This is true. Gold is considered valuable because there is a restricted quantity of it, and people are able to swap it for other goods and services for a perceived similar value. It's also portable (isn't linked to your identity) and is universal across countries, currency zones and geographic boundaries..

Whereas BitCoin.....  oh.
  • It seems massively complicated to get in to, I wish I understood it or I would invest.    Now you have all these different coins coming along and then different wallets.  
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Garthy said:

If I sell you a gold bar for half a million dollars, we can't both own the gold and the dollars at the same time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2017
    Personally I think it's a shame that BC has become an "investment."
    At the moment people are just buying BC to horde.  They're not actually spending it  on goods or services.
    And you can't buy goods or services with it when you can't put a stable figure on them. 

For example, in September when I posted those EMG pickups in my sig I'd have sold them for about 39mBC, back in March it would have been about 80mBC.
    Today's value says I should sell them for 11.9mBC.*
    But there's no way I'd sell for that because I know, we all know, that tomorrow the price will change again, up or down.
    So it's bloody worthless.

* (Or looked at another way, these EMG pickups I'd have sold for £150 in March I should now sell for £22 because £s are "worth" so much more just cos everyone and their dog is trying to buy every last £coin in the world and sitting on it.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Have dipped my toe in with a nominal cost. If they do what some people think they will I'll buy a very nice acoustic in a year!

If not, I'll buy a quite nice one. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    It might get interesting tomorrow. The Chicago exchange will start trading in bitcoin futures as of 11pm tonight. So traders will be gambling on future values and might well put the currency under some stress. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I’ve got a bit tucked away in BitCoin, Ethereum, and LiteCoin. Nothing life-changing, but the past few weeks have been interesting. I’m holding out for a while though and seeing what happens over the next couple of years - same story as any investment: don’t put in what you can’t afford to lose.
    so what route did you take to sign up??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • That guy in Newport wants to pay the council £7.4M so he can have a dig around for his hard disk, he has investors lined up apparently. Worth £4M in 2013, 4 years later it's worth £74M. The council are having none of it.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    57Deluxe said:
    I’ve got a bit tucked away in BitCoin, Ethereum, and LiteCoin. Nothing life-changing, but the past few weeks have been interesting. I’m holding out for a while though and seeing what happens over the next couple of years - same story as any investment: don’t put in what you can’t afford to lose.
    so what route did you take to sign up??

I use this https://blockchain.info
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    That guy in Newport wants to pay the council £7.4M so he can have a dig around for his hard disk, he has investors lined up apparently. Worth £4M in 2013, 4 years later it's worth £74M. The council are having none of it.
    He should let it go and move on. He's just torturing himself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The question with this crypto currency is, how easy is it to sell for proper money?

i.e. is the wealth tangible?
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Like anything it depends on the amount I guess. If you want to sell £50k worth, that will be harder than £5k, but that would be the same with anything. I think the site that I use has a limit of £10k/day. 
  • I suppose if you had a fortune in bitcoin, you could probably sell it for less than it's worth just to get some proper money quickly.