Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chris Rea collapses

What's Hot
richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24827
Just read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42297148

I believe he had a stroke last year - hope he makes a full recovery.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• :( Hope he's ok
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    Blimey...He’s been through some tough times...Good job he’s a tough cookie.
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    He is a tough guy, got through a bad cancer a few years back, so best of luck to him.  i was going to go to that gig in fact, but the only tickets we could have got were right at the back, so I decided not to go.  Saw him last time he played in Oxford right at the front, and it was a great gig.
  • Just read this.  Have tickets for Bournemouth next week, which no doubt will be cancelled/postponed.  Bit of  Guitar Hero of mine especially his slide and blues work.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

• ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    Thought he had retired surprised when I heard the news.Hope he picks up soon.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14303
    tFB Trader
    Just read this.  Have tickets for Bournemouth next week, which no doubt will be cancelled/postponed.  Bit of  Guitar Hero of mine especially his slide and blues work.  Keeping my fingers crossed.
    very under rated as both a song writer and player - his tone on Stainsby Girl and Road to hell in particular is awesome - one of the best Strat tones ever IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72434
    I thought he'd retired too. Hope he's OK, he hasn't looked at all well for the last few years.

I think he's very under-rated as well - for some reason he seems to be looked down on a bit by 'serious' blues fans... I don't know why - possibly because he's never been afraid to not be a purist about it, but I've always loved his strange combination of blues and 60s film-score influences.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richhrichh Frets: 451
    I think a few years back at one point he was saying that he wouldn't be able to do more live shows, as his health was unpredictable, day to day.  But then he started doing some shows.

I love his guitar playing, but I suspect one reason his guitar playing abilities are not properly recognised, is that he has such a great voice and is a fantastic songwriter.  So he tends to get thought of primarily as a singer / songwriter.  I've read an interview where he resented that he was seen as a singer, but not so much a proper guitarist.  I love the way he plays for the song though - not just sticking a solo in to show off his abilities.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14303
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I thought he'd retired too. Hope he's OK, he hasn't looked at all well for the last few years.

I think he's very under-rated as well - for some reason he seems to be looked down on a bit by 'serious' blues fans... I don't know why - possibly because he's never been afraid to not be a purist about it, but I've always loved his strange combination of blues and 60s film-score influences.
    richh said:
    I think a few years back at one point he was saying that he wouldn't be able to do more live shows, as his health was unpredictable, day to day.  But then he started doing some shows.

I love his guitar playing, but I suspect one reason his guitar playing abilities are not properly recognised, is that he has such a great voice and is a fantastic songwriter.  So he tends to get thought of primarily as a singer / songwriter.  I've read an interview where he resented that he was seen as a singer, but not so much a proper guitarist.  I love the way he plays for the song though - not just sticking a solo in to show off his abilities.
    I think that to many he is seen as somewhat of a 'back ground music in a hair salon' type of artist - There is a bit of a UK JJ Cale about him in that song first with a laid back vibe and the solo supports the song - he is massively influenced by JJ Cale
  • guitars4you said:
    I think that to many he is seen as somewhat of a 'back ground music in a hair salon' type of artist - There is a bit of a UK JJ Cale about him in that song first with a laid back vibe and the solo supports the song - he is massively influenced by JJ Cale
    I agree - much like Mark Knopfler - he got lumped in with Simply Red and Sade as CD music for the yuppie generation....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He spent many years with his output being controlled but record companies.  It wasn't until he had made money following Road to Hell that he started his own label and had the chance to do what he wants.  Live his playing is awesome and he is up and down the neck like lightning with a slide.

• Saw him only a couple of weeks ago at the Sage in Gateshead. He looked to be enjoying himself on stage, though he did look rather gaunt.
  • SaddlepunkSaddlepunk Frets: 47
    edited December 2017
    [admin edit - unnecessary post deleted]
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    edited December 2017
    [admin edit - unnecessary post deleted]
    Poor taste.     Don’t be a dick.  

{admin edit @John_P - agreed it was, but by re-quoting it, I have to edit another post to remove it!  Just flag things like that please, :)]
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’m probably a bit biased with thinking he isn’t under rated.   I remember seeing him do stainsby girls on totps when it was a single and thinking guitar playing looked and sounded so cool.   I’ve always thought he is a great player.  

Hopefully he’s ok and will be back playing very soon. 
  • Not a huge fan, but I wish him well nonetheless.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Stainsby Girls was and still is one of my favourites, and then I got into some of his blues stuff.  I haven't listened for a long time, I hope he recovers soon.
  • SaddlepunkSaddlepunk Frets: 47
    edited December 2017
    I don't wish illness on anyone, and I'm sure he's a good guitarist. But so what. To waste natural talent on such utter bollocks like "Coming Home for Christmas" (and numerous others) cannot be unmentioned or excused just by dint of his mortality. 

How anyone can compare him to JJ Cale is beyond me!
  • I don't wish illness on anyone, and I'm sure he's a good guitarist. But so what. To waste natural talent on such utter bollocks like "Coming Home for Christmas" (and numerous others) cannot be unmentioned or excused just by dint of his mortality. 

How anyone can compare him to JJ Cale is beyond me!
    You Sir, need to learn to shut up! For clarity, your idiot remark wished death on him - before a mod wisely deleted it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I assume you mean "Driving Home for Christmas", one of the absolute best Christmas songs this side of Slade and Mariah. Don't be daft...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom