Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands you tried to get into...and failed...

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited December 2017
    There are loads of bands I've tried and failed to "get". The main one is Metallica - just so boring apart from a few songs. Hate the epic clean guitar breakdowns and long songs. Having a more inspiring drummer and lead guitarist would probably help as well

Foo Fighters as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    VimFuego said:
    I get howls of protest whenever I mention this (being a dyed in the homespun wool folky), but John Martyn. I mean, I can appreciate his genius, and his ability to push boundries, but the music itself just does nothing for me.
    Nor me. I can't stand his singing either.

(I know richardhomer will strongly disagree ;).)

I'll add Van Morrison, for both of the same reasons.
    Indeed I will - my favourite musician of all time - absolutely love his voice, song-writing and guitar playing.

Youre right about Van Morrison though - drivel.... :)
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    I like songs. Waiting room is one of my favourite songs of all time but I don't like fugazi.

In this age you can pick and YouTube or download a song. 

I get flack when I play love yourself as a warm up. I like the song who cares if it's Justin Bieber.? 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Rush - shit singer.

Dream Theatre - shit singer.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12364
    edited December 2017
    All of my mates were fans of jamiroquai and kasabian, I could never get into either of them.  Robert Plant's voice ruins Led Zep for me.  Even the Beatles; I only like a handful of their songs comparative to how many they did.  Even though if I start to list them it can get a bit like what the romans did for us.

Steely Dan are another, I was in a record shop as a teenager and heard a great song and asked the dude who they were and he told me it was steely dan, I bought the greatest hits and hated it.
  • Muse
    Radiohead
    Manics
    Paul Weller
    Metallica

I pretty much only listen to Marillion.  Everything else pales after hearing Steve Rothery.   

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    munckee said:

Steely Dan are another, I was in a record shop as a teenager and heard a great song and asked the dude who they were and he told me it was steely dan, I bought the greatest hits and hated it.
    Funnily enough I have recently started to like them - back in the day I thought they were the height of smug, pretentious muso arrogance... they were really clever, and by God didn't they just know it. But I saw the greatest hits album in a charity shop a while ago and for £2 I thought I should probably give them a fair hearing - and there's a lot more on it that I like, some of it a lot, than I expected.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    munckee said:
    I've got a Steely Dan best of album and I really like it.  It is clever, sophisticated stuff.  But I suspect if I bought the proper albums there'd be loads of songs I wouldn't be so keen on.
  • Philly_Q said:
    I've got a Steely Dan best of album and I really like it.  It is clever, sophisticated stuff.  But I suspect if I bought the proper albums there'd be loads of songs I wouldn't be so keen on.
    Give ‘Gaucho’ a try - there are some brilliant songs on it - and some brilliant guitar playing, by some of the the world’s best players. Also ‘The Nightfly’ - Donald Fagen’s first solo album - pure class....
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited December 2017
    Steely Dan is another one for me as well - just boring middle of the road easy listening sounding guff. Great musicians but there's no edge or interest to their sound or the songs for me. Feel like that about a lot of The Eagles stuff as well.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Music is just too broad for everyone to be into everything.  At least four or five bands I'm a huge fan of a lot of people have pledged in here but that's cool, plenty of music to go around :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    edited December 2017
    If it was bands I hated I'd start with Muse and their dreadful pseudo operatic weasel faced singer.

But if it's bands I've genuinely tried to like then,

James - Seen them live twice and bought 'Seven" & in the end just couldn't stand the 'right on' lyrics and Goose Farting in the Fog vocal style of Tim Booth.
    Stone Roses - First record sounds like it was recorded in a biscuit tin, I do like some of Squire's guitar work but apart from that the most overrated band of all time.
    Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett, they were lucky they came across Gilmour if you ask me.
    The Levellers - I was told they were like The Waterboys, turns out they didn't orbit the same universe.
    Blur - Had their original demo as Seymour and threw it away (probably a mistake) but still think they are pop poseurs.
    The National - struggling through 'Sleep Well Beast' at the moment

BTW 1970's Van rules.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Starsailor.

Lots of promise. Lack of delivery
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited December 2017
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    Tool
    Nine Inch Nails
    Sum 41 (I liked Pretty Fly and Original Prankster though)
    Muse
    The Strokes
    Placebo (yes for Every Me/Every You ((that song)), no for Nancy Boy) - but it's not like I haven't tried.
  • The Smashing Pumpkins
    Tool
    Nine Inch Nails
    Sum 41 (I liked Pretty Fly and Original Prankster though)
    Muse
    The Strokes
    Placebo (yes for Every Me/Every You ((that song)), no for Nancy Boy) - but it's not like I haven't tried.
    Pretty Fly and Original Prankster are by the Offspring.. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Starsailor.

Can't put my finger on what it is with them. They're just so lacking somehow. Great singer though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Starsailor.

Can't put my finger on what it is with them. They're just so lacking somehow.
    Likewise. Also...

Gomez
    Teenage Fanclub

On paper I should love both of them, but in reality I just find them boring and lacking some 'spark' or something - can't put a finger on quite what.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    edited December 2017
    I tried tae get into Zep as a youngster but Rubber Plant said they already had a guitarist
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil Young as an electric "player". He's shit.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Pink Floyd. Post-Syd, I just can't get into them.