Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How useable is a Vox AC30C2 for playing at home ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
Ive had the horror of a fender hotrod iii at home where the usable range on the clean channel vol control was 0 - 1, anything over that and forget it. Would the ac30c2 be more of the same or is it usable at home, think wife and neighbours.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited December 2017
    I don't think you'd hear your wife complaining about that at all!  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

I had one a few yrs ago, (HW2X now in its place) and I had no problems, but you're still not getting it past 1..but it doesn't have that zero to LOUD in 0.1mm of a turn on the volume. Plus you can use the low input to tame it further. If not and you wanna get the most gain out of it then just keep the volume to your desired level - its a lot more easy to control, but its still a gigging amp and will get loud pretty quick....2-3 will be loud!! Defo gig one on 3.

• If you think dandy warhols bohemian like you clean with a bit of grit in it, is the ac30c2 any good for that type of music ? last thing i want is an amp so bright and cutting it would strip teeth enamel.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I had to get rid of mine.  And my Hot Rod Deluxe :D  IMHO both WAAAY too loud for domestic use.  Sure you can monkey about with attenuators and whatnot, but what's the point?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    JerkMoans said:
    I had to get rid of mine.  And my Hot Rod Deluxe :D  IMHO both WAAAY too loud for domestic use.  Sure you can monkey about with attenuators and whatnot, but what's the point?
    The end of a sharp thing?

My HRD works brilliantly at home thanks to a tamer in the send/return loop. Cost £20.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    You could buy my AC15 HW in the classified, with a 7.5w onboard atten! 700 shipped.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• impmann said:
    JerkMoans said:
    I had to get rid of mine.  And my Hot Rod Deluxe D  IMHO both WAAAY too loud for domestic use.  Sure you can monkey about with attenuators and whatnot, but what's the point?

My HRD works brilliantly at home thanks to a tamer in the send/return loop. Cost £20.
    you can get the hrd on the clean channel down to a level that keeps the wife off your back ?
    impmann said:
    JerkMoans said:
    I had to get rid of mine.  And my Hot Rod Deluxe D  IMHO both WAAAY too loud for domestic use.  Sure you can monkey about with attenuators and whatnot, but what's the point?

you can get the hrd on the clean channel down to a level that keeps the wife off your back ?
    Yes. And it still sounds great. I got my tamer through @Danny1969

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    Thanks @impmann ; .... over 20 of these sold now, one's in Brazil and one's going to Canada. Anyone else want one then give me a PM
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • If you think dandy warhols bohemian like you clean with a bit of grit in it, is the ac30c2 any good for that type of music ? last thing i want is an amp so bright and cutting it would strip teeth enamel.

To be honest, a modeller might work better for you. That kind of sound happens with a bit of volume. A modeller will probably get closer in terms of sound and feel at anything other than quite a lot louder than you want. 
  • impmann said:
    impmann said:
    JerkMoans said:

Yes. And it still sounds great. I got my tamer through @Danny1969
    Is that the same thing as the deano amp box ?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11782
    Boss Katana!

I'm first this once! 

Great amps and so cheap you can still have an AC30 as well without breaking the bank if that's what you really GAS.

Impmann's tamer sounds like it could solve a lot of people's problems though!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    I’ve always found that a big valve amp running quietly just sounds better than any other solution, assuming you don’t mind the size, weight and cost. If you need to use an attenuator or an FX loop volume box to get it quiet enough, that still applies. I wish it wasn’t so... but it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    ICBM said:
    I’ve always found that a big valve amp running quietly just sounds better than any other solution, assuming you don’t mind the size, weight and cost. If you need to use an attenuator or an FX loop volume box to get it quiet enough, that still applies. I wish it wasn’t so... but it is.
    Princeton says no.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2242
    If you think dandy warhols bohemian like you clean with a bit of grit in it, is the ac30c2 any good for that type of music ? last thing i want is an amp so bright and cutting it would strip teeth enamel.
    zvex nano its expensive and you need a cab but it does slight breakup at very low volumes.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Gassage said:

Princeton says no.
    You’ll still need an attenuator to get any sort of breakup at home volume.

Even a Twin will do a beautiful whisper-volume clean sound though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    Even though I love the Vox sound, running it at such low volumes is kinda missing the point of it all. 

It’s glorious sound comes at the expense of volume, and becomes a roaring beast when opened up, where using it barely ticking over you’ll get none of the majesty and be left with a thinner and buzzier tone that lacks bass and harmonics.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

Boss Katana!

I'm first this once! 

They cure cancer, you know... ;-)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited December 2017
    I don't think you'd hear your wife complaining about that at all!  
    I concur - she'd be complaining and screaming blue murder...but you definitely wouldn't hear her at all!! 3
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited December 2017
    Boss Katana!

I'm first this once! 

Great amps and so cheap you can still have an AC30 as well without breaking the bank if that's what you really GAS.

Impmann's tamer sounds like it could solve a lot of people's problems though!
    Gear shill Tom Quayle has a yt clip demonstrating the katana head v2, I made a cup of coffee  to have whilst viewing it. Option paralysis is immense andif you enjoy fiddling with settings you would be in heaven, Im more a plug in and play bloke so all that computer bumph is lost on me. The head offers amazing value for money but that solid state glare is still there. The clean channel wasnt as obvious but I found the other channels to be screaming solid state at me. Ive tried the katana head myself, I spent about 5 mins arsing about with the cleans and about 2 mins trying the other channels and it was an apocalyptic nope, the next amp I tried was a cornell 18 / 20 plexi head and I nearly shat myself..........completely impractical should I choose to use it at home though sadly.