OK do I......?

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
got GAS badly for a CS Strat - mainly the Landau Signature model which seems to tick all the boxes...apart from the price (and hence why a certain member of the Welshboyo flock is currently at the chopping block)

However, staring at me from the corner are a little family of Strats that I already own and reading the trem questions in Making and Modding and seeing Wudtone can do a Callaham alternative and also the plethora of pickups available around the place, its got me wondering as to whether its worth pimpin gout one of these said Strats into something similar..

Now, the Landau I fancy is the Fiesta Red one, and I do have a Fiesta Red RW necked Jap 62 RI here (with a Mexican 50 RI body) and I also have an early JV strat that plays and sounds really good but in all honesty needs new PU's anyway in 3TSB...

So what would the CS give me over a pimped out version of either of the above?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5050
    edited February 2014
    welshboyo said:
    So what would the CS give me over a pimped out version of either of the above?
    A bigger hole in your bank balance! Don't get me wrong, I love CS guitars - I've had several through my hands and thought they were all head and shoulders above lesser models and I've kept the best ones and will never want for another Fender (well, never say never...). But you could always try pimping out one of your other guitars first, before plumping for Fender CS nirvana...!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'd advocate some new pickups... new strats take time to get used to ... pimped guitars become closer suited to our needs ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Try a pup change in one of your oldies first. If they still don't do it for you, and you go for the Landau, you can sell one or both as 'upgraded' which might help the sale. 
  • A nitro finish?
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    welshboyo said:
    ... a certain member of the Welshboyo flock is currently at the chopping block ...

You're a welsh sheep farmer!!

;)

• www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    My two favourite strats are a 1984 Tokai which has been "pimped out" like you say and a CS Ltd Ed 1960 Relic. I love them both, they play great, sound great, and both get equal gig time. Difference in price? about £2K.

Pimp one up, it's fun too.

Rob.
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    I went through 20 CS Fenders.  Didn't like any of them. 

I put Irish Tours on my mex strat and had it set up properly. 

I'd like it to have a proper tensioned tone arm and bigger frets, and a metal sustain block, but otherwise, the CS ones were no better, to my mind.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    What is a 'proper tensioned tone arm' ? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    What is a 'proper tensioned tone arm' ? 

Line6 have branched out into bionics. 

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    OK, slight update...and where do I go next type of question..

I won a set of Fat 50's CS pickups on d'bay yesterday for a half decent price and I've decided to chuck them in the JV as it desperately needs new pickups..

Do the JV's have half decent blocks in them? does anyone know?