Fender American Original Series

What's Hot

Comments

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    crunchman said:

There are limited neck options as well.  If you want a nitro finished maple board Tele without the thick U shaped profile you have to go Custom Shop.

The Original 50s Telecaster is maple board, nitro lacquer and a thick U neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Babones said:
    crunchman said:

There are limited neck options as well.  If you want a nitro finished maple board Tele without the thick U shaped profile you have to go Custom Shop.

The Original 50s Telecaster is maple board, nitro lacquer and a thick U neck.

So if you want any other neck profile (and that thick U neck probably isn't very mainstream) then you still have to go Custom Shop.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Babones said:
    A strat in candy apple red!!! I did not see that coming.

So it's just a rebrand/slight tweak to raise prices, right? I assume Fender think that worked well with the American Standard to American Professional and so here it is again.
    Good business 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Surprised there’s so much negativity about the fingerboard radius. The criticism previously was usually ‘I don’t like vintage radius boards, so I’m forced to buy Custom Shop’....

Sounds like Fender has resolved the finish issues too. They sound like the old CS New Old Stock models for less money - which sounds pretty good to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    Surprised there’s so much negativity about the fingerboard radius. The criticism previously was usually ‘I don’t like vintage radius boards, so I’m forced to buy Custom Shop’....

Sounds like Fender has resolved the finish issues too. They sound like the old CS New Old Stock models for less money - which sounds pretty good to me.
    Wis for that. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I think I have found my next Strat!  On paper at least it sounds and looks perfect for me:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/171229319984008--fender-american-original-50s-strat-white-blonde
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

Spot on. What a miserable bunch of so and so’s we (you) are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FozzFozz Frets: 62
    I've missed the change in finish - is this one less prone to chipping?
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877

The voice of reason , nice one Rich :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Look good to me, especially the 60s double bound Tele.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9317
    MattFGBI said:
    The pickguards etc are all made in the US factory in Corona on the same machines that have been used for decades. 

The finish on these is nitro but not the same as the previous American Vintage. 
    Can you tell us anymore about that, Matt. I got rid of my av’s as the nitro was a joke- it just flaked off. If you’ve sorted this, I’ll almost certainly be in the market for one or more of these guitars
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9317

p90fool said:
    "Every curve and line of the necks are accurate to the historic originals. Sculpted for a vintage-style playing feel, we even used period-accurate techniques to carve and attach the fingerboards."

Except the most distinctive and important curve, the fingerboard radius.
    Other than of course most vintage guitars have been refretted which flattens the radius
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    Anyone want to buy a 2017 52 AV Tele? :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Love these, I'm constantly banging on about 7.25 radius boards on Vintage Reissue Fenders, how I hate them, totally unjustifiably on my part, because those Guitars were period correct.

So anyway, I'm glad to see this "tweak" to their vintage range. Fucking price though! Fucking Bastard Fender, never get it right!

;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    If this series replaced the standard/professional series, it's probably all they would need to do. Maybe a 70s Hot Rod to cover the Iron Maiden hoard as well.

Just make what your known for and correct the vintage bits people generally hate e.g. 7.25 fretboard radius and skinny frets.

This is why G&L have mopped up the sensible guys with £1300 for what people actually want and not £2000.

Gibson should do the same and focus efforts on making sure the quality is good, as opposed to robotic tuners etc. If your quality is good, you don't need a Custom Shop at all and there's always time for the odd limited edition finish.

I can't even keep up with these series' anymore.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    chris78 said:

p90fool said:
    "Every curve and line of the necks are accurate to the historic originals. Sculpted for a vintage-style playing feel, we even used period-accurate techniques to carve and attach the fingerboards."

Except the most distinctive and important curve, the fingerboard radius.
    Other than of course most vintage guitars have been refretted which flattens the radius
    No it doesn't. You can specify that if you want, but it's not (or shouldn't be) an automatic part of the process

FWIW I prefer a flatter radius myself, to the point where I'm thinking of ripping the frets out of my 82 Strat to reprofile it.
     I just thought the marketing blurb from Fender was a bit crap. 

On a different note, the fingerboards look a bit pale on the 60s Strats and Teles so I read the spec and at no point does it say what the wood is, just some flannel about when Fender introduced rosewood originally. 

I'm sure it IS rosewood, but in a world where we can no longer take these things for granted the ad writing is a little loose.  

• NeilNeil Frets: 3624

I like 7.25" radius and if you are promoting these guitars as vintage spec that's what they should be IMO. Original series? That's a laugh.

Fortunately MIM are still making their excellent Classic series. 

MIA no longer making a 7.25" radius now? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited January 2018
    MattFGBI said:
    The pickguards etc are all made in the US factory in Corona on the same machines that have been used for decades. 

The finish on these is nitro but not the same as the previous American Vintage. 
    @MattFGBI Ok sorry, some misinformation on my part about the plastics, all the other bits I mentioned are still Taiwanese though? Do you know what brand the tuners are, Gotoh?

What's changed about the finish on the new models and do you know what the issue was with the paint on the AV models? I was really interested in an AV model when they came out, great looks, specs etc, but then I started hearing about (and witnessed first hand) the paint flake. I'm not into relic and could not counter splashing out a load of money on something with a failing paint job.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Octafish said:
    Hmmm, are these anything more than overpriced Classic Players?

Or, maybe cut price Custom Shop.  The 60's tele is pretty close to my Namm Ltd CS tele except less than half price
    Yes, actually a mass produced custom shop model is probably a better comparison.