New acoustic. Is this as designed?

What's Hot
BodBod Frets: 1315
I bought a new Tanglewood  TPE SF DLX acoustic a few weeks ago.  I've not really had much time to play it but got it out of the case today and I've noticed there's a contour in the top behind the bridge. 

I'm suspicious that this not as designed and is actually a deformation of the top.  I'm happy to be corrected, but I thought acoustic tops were usually flat?  

What are your thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bod said:

I'm happy to be corrected, but I thought acoustic tops were usually flat?  
    Nope.  Acoustic guitar soundboards have a radius.

However... 

It's difficult to tell by the pictures but your acoustic guitar doesn't quite look right. 

The soundboard could have bellied due to excess humidity or it could something a bit more serious.  Hard to say from just one picture though. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    Thanks for the confirmation.  It does seem uniform and the action is perfect, so I think it's OK.  I'll try and take a few more photos in natural light - it's quite difficult to see, let alone photograph.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704

Also worth looking inside, if all the bracing looks good it will be further confirmation, along with the action that there is no issue.  You'll need a small mirror to look at the bottom of the soundboard.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11904
    what does the body look like from the side?
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    forget the deliberate doming of the top - what to look for is - is there enough height in the saddle to make adjustments ie lower should u need to.
    The neck angle, soundboard radius is part of the normal design of the acoustic guitar, the doming strengthens the s/b - think egg / the roof of St Pauls.
    All the calculations are to allow a saddle height to string action over the f/board. As long as a good playing 'action can be achieved - all's ok.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    They always belly up a bit - there's a lot of tension on the top. That does look like quite a lot when you see it like that, but it's more obvious than it would be normally when you put a big straight edge across it :).

As AliGorie says, if the action is fine now and the bridge isn't already cut down as low as it will go, it's meant to be like that and everything is OK. If the bridge is already very low and the action is still too high, that's when you should be concerned.

A 'flat top' acoustic means as opposed to an archtop, which is like a violin and is deliberately highly arched, either by being carved or pressed to the shape, not that the top is exactly flat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Someone once told me... 'Never trust a flat top without a belly.'  Meaning... if there's no belly, the guitar is probably a bit over-built - and less likely to resonate as much as a more lightly built guitar.

I guess there may be some truth in that.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4224

Someone once told me... 'Never trust a flat top without a belly.'  Meaning... if there's no belly, the guitar is probably a bit over-built - and less likely to resonate as much as a more lightly built guitar.

It’s a quote often attributed to Norman Blake - someone who knows a thing or two about acoustic tone.
  • Lewy said:

Someone once told me... 'Never trust a flat top without a belly.'  Meaning... if there's no belly, the guitar is probably a bit over-built - and less likely to resonate as much as a more lightly built guitar.

It’s a quote often attributed to Norman Blake - someone who knows a thing or two about acoustic tone.

I've never met Norman Blake... I think it was Blakey (from On The Buses) that told me. ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited January 2018
    ICBM said:
    A 'flat top' acoustic means as opposed to an archtop, which is like a violin and is deliberately highly arched, either by being carved or pressed to the shape, not that the top is exactly flat.
    I still call 'em 'flat top'd' - when I did the guitar making course and did a bit of tonewood  buying, I was surprised to see some 'suppliers'  in Europe still referred to them as 'western' for size to differentiate between 'classical'' which are smaller dimensions.