Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which one of your guitars is the best?

What's Hot

Comments

• Got to be my 99 US Standard tele. Had and played some very high end guitars and I always come back to my trusty tele, it's beaten to within an inch of its life and has seen more gigs than I can count.

Was my first decent guitar which seems to be a theme on this thread, a lot of people seem to bond most with their first nice one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Musicman Albert Lee HH
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    edited January 2018
    This Reverend Sensei.
    Got it for €450 with a pair of Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups (original pickups included) and it's just a great guitar.
    Don't really like the look and the colour but I forget all of it when I'm playing it!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Jota what kind of sounds is it good at?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7107
    Jota said:
    This Reverend Sensei.
    Got it for €450 with a pair of Suhr Doug Alrich pickups (original pickups included) and it's just a great guitar.
    Don't really like the look and the colour but I forget all of it when I'm playing it!
    looks ace to me!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Takamine 12 string. Not because it's anything special, it's just the one I play the most.
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Of these overall it will have to be the Mira, with the Jaguar coming a very close second :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited January 2018
    Sassafras said:
    NelsonP said:

You've got a favourite air guitar?
    I was trying to post an image...which I seem to be incapable of doing from my phone
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4261
    For feeling and sounding special, and it's ability to go from jazz to full on rock, as well as very passable acoustic tone to sing with unplugged, plus incredible stability so pretty much never needs to be tuned, and the best neck profile on any guitar ever, it has to be my '56 ES175D below.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12367
    CloudNine said:
    For feeling and sounding special, and it's ability to go from jazz to full on rock, as well as very passable acoustic tone to sing with unplugged, plus incredible stability so pretty much never needs to be tuned, and the best neck profile on any guitar ever, it has to be my '56 ES175D below.

that's lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I guess on paper as far as build quality , versatility etc the Musicman Valentine although it’s not my ‘favourite’ since the thinline Tele turned up . The Tele does a similar thing but feels more familiar to an old fart like me.  
    I'm so glad you've finally found one you'd never consider flipping :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Chalky said:
    Immoral question - like asking which child is your favourite!

Crikey! It is guitars we are talking about mate. Bits of wood, plastic and wires. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited January 2018
    Hmmmm for me there's three main instruments over my playing life.

1: Fender Richie Kotzen Tele was my main guitar for 11 years. I recorded an album with it. Played about 60 gigs over 3 bands. It's never let me down. Tuning stability live it's probably the best guitar I've ever owned. It didn't really sound like a Tele. It has a fat punchy midrange, it's strident. Like a bolt on neck Les Paul with more versatility perhaps? My nephew and brother regularly ask me to leave it to them in my will. Fuckers!!!

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3837/14412630775_b9dfbfdd7a_z.jpg

2: The 2017 Les Paul Classic. That's one of the best guitars I've ever owned, it's certainly my main instrument now in my reformed band. It's a much tidier fit and finish than any of the other Les Pauls I've owned, or had access too. The only flaw to me is the horrible bridge pickup and the absence of a poker chip. So I put a set of Lollar Imperials in and found a poker chip on EBay.  But otherwise one of the best guitars I've owned. It's got this lovely bloom to the notes on clean and distorted it's just Les Paul. Perfect!

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2950/34003641435_24bf426301_z.jpg

3: My Ibanez RG560. People knock em, but I did over 100 gigs with mine. Probably one of the most roadworthy guitars ever. The mk1 Ibanez Edge is still the best Floyd type unit ever made IMHO.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962

I only have the one now, my PRS Mira X. Pickups are original PRS Dragons, Gotoh locking machine heads  and a Shadow pickup ring tuner. 

Theres something about it thats very alive, it plays incredibly (even on 11-50's) and sounds huge whatever amp i put it through. I've probably owned nearing 100 guitars, this one smokes everything i've owned or played. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledick said:
    McCarty Std Soapbar with solid rosewood neck.  I have other nice guitars but that's the first one to be grabbed in a fire.
    I’ve a McSoapy standard too and it’s awesowme.  So versatile and probably the best sustain out of my 15 electrics
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    easily my Musicman Valentine, although my gas will never be cured. its a cracker
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    JerkMoans said:
    I guess on paper as far as build quality , versatility etc the Musicman Valentine although it’s not my ‘favourite’ since the thinline Tele turned up . The Tele does a similar thing but feels more familiar to an old fart like me.  
    I'm so glad you've finally found one you'd never consider flipping :D
    It will be up for sale next month  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
    edited January 2018
    https://i.imgur.com/tEhXxRO.jpg

My best (though it's not had much competition) is an American Standard Strat. Due to a lack of free time I've been sadly neglecting it of late; but this weekend after I gave it a good clean, re-string and set it up, I got it back to it's awesome strattyness.  
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    @Jota what kind of sounds is it good at?
    Can I say all?
    It's really a great all around guitar with the bass contour. Those pickups are very bass heavy (to me at least) so I just roll the bass contour off a bit and it gets pretty chimey.
    It still sounds kind of "modern" and it works great for gainier sounds but the cleans are pretty good.
    Other thing I like is how good the pickups react to the volume pot. The coil split it's ok, at best. I much prefer roll all the bass out to get some single coil-ish tones.
    I use it in my cover band that does everything from traditional music to dance to heavy rock.I'm also in a Neo Soul band where it works pretty well but I still like my tele best for that band.
    Best all around sound I've ever had with great fit and finish. Super light and comfortable too.
  • My Tokai ST-80. Bought with my 2nd year grant cheque (what’s a ‘grant’ daddy?) and nothing has ever played as well, felt as comfortable or sounded as good! £225 well spent - in fact I part-exed a Westone Thunder 1A bass plus £50 cash!