Fender pickup help!.

poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
Been given a set of fender pups...

what are are these two screws on the back of the bridge pickup?. What purpose do they serve?

http://a64.tinypic.com/22zz34.jpg

Was going to put a plate on it but these two are in the way!....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14443
    Looks as if somebody already tried adding a plate.

The plastic bobbin material and the elevator screw hole reinforcement of that pickup make fastening a plate with wax nye on impossible.

Observe the next two holes along through the bobbin. They are square in cross-section. The two with screws should also be square in cross-section. The screws have been left in place to disguise the fugly mess beneath.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Looks as if somebody already tried adding a plate.

The plastic bobbin material and the elevator screw hole reinforcement of that pickup make fastening a plate with wax nye on impossible.

Observe the next two holes along through the bobbin. They are square in cross-section. The two with screws should also be square in cross-section. The screws have been left in place to disguise the fugly mess beneath.
    Seen it on a few fender pups. Just read a link about it, Apparently it’s fenders way of fine tuning the eddy currents in the pickup...

screws are out, baseplate will be added soon

http://a66.tinypic.com/ictf2x.jpg
    Done... new wires and base plate added...

will be in the guitar tomorrow.

http://a64.tinypic.com/1zojl11.jpg

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    The screws are factory fit on US Standard bridge pickups - well, the 1990s ones anyway. No idea what purpose they serve but they would serve one. Personally, if it had been me, I would have drilled holes in your bridge plate and reinstall them through it, just in case the removal means something is loose inside coil.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    The screws are factory fit on US Standard bridge pickups - well, the 1990s ones anyway. No idea what purpose they serve but they would serve one. Personally, if it had been me, I would have drilled holes in your bridge plate and reinstall them through it, just in case the removal means something is loose inside coil.
    They literally just screw into the bobbin... they are not attached to anything and they don't support anything. Not only that, I've seen them in different places on other US pickups...

I read a link yesterday that said they are for fine tuning the eddy currents... Cant find the link now but it was on the fender support pages... Fenders alternative cheap base plate perhaps?.

Pickup is in now and it screams with that plate on it!