Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One of my favourite guitar solos ever.

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Probably been posted on here before, but seriously - 2:40 until 4:40 or thereabouts:

Absolutely astonishing. I mean, do I really need to say anything?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Love it!

I really like his tone. I was trying to spot what pickup position he was in for most of it. It looks like position 2 so I presume that means he’s got it wired as humbucking in that position to get so much clean sustain?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Yep - Been listening to all their albums recently
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Forget the guitars ! that Drummer, oh yes indeed :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • A lovely solo and great playing, nice to hear something fresh. Shame I felt like the rest of the band sounded like the theme to an American 90s quiz TV game show...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Wow. Can somebody knock out a quick tab for that?  ;)
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    honestly, it just felt like noise and random notes, apart from one tasteful little lick that was thrown in there, it just felt like a too overdriven shrill tone hitting any notes in the right key, I didn't feel any structure or feel (the guy can clearly play though)

There was no structure to it and it certainly didn't feel like it was in fitting with what was going on around it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    edited February 2018
    darcym said:
    honestly, it just felt like noise and random notes, apart from one tasteful little lick that was thrown in there, it just felt like a too overdriven shrill tone hitting any notes in the right key, I didn't feel any structure or feel (the guy can clearly play though)

There was no structure to it and it certainly didn't feel like it was in fitting with what was going on around it. 
    Have to agree, it left me cold. No musicality or emotion despite the undoubted technique.

Whats with everyone wearing headphones, including the audience?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    sweepy said:
    Forget the guitars ! that Drummer, oh yes indeed :)

this is true though.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31618
    SimonC said:
    darcym said:

Have to agree, it left me cold. No musicality or emotion despite the undoubted technique.

Whats with everyone wearing headphones, including the audience?
    Ear defenders. 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I saw Snarky Puppy there was very little going on guitar wise, certainly not a guitar centric band. Had a quick listen earlier to that solo, fairly clear build up classic rock type solo although, I'm a bit unclear as to what might mark it out as great other than being well executed. But that's just a quick listen. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    This is what I love about music. You can find something total magical and captivating that others don’t hear and vice versa. That’s the beauty of it for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Remids me of Jan Akkerman when he went off on one. Yawn inducing.....
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I found it a bit meandering at first, but I really liked it as it heated up. I've never heard them before, they sounded right up my street, the whole band were great. Loved the bass and drums. I need to look into this band! For me it was more of an enjoyable solo than a 'classic', but I am certainly glad to have heard it and now heard of the band. 

In all fairness, I think that if anyone posted a favourite solo, you'd probably get
    20% thumbs up
    30% OK it
    40% meh
    10% hate it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Its cool for what it is, what specifically do you like about it, other than not sounding like jobo

Reminded me of Eric Schenkman with the Spin Doctors in the 90's when they were very much a jam band, though this is more technically diverse
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    Nice playing, but I think a great guitar solo needs a strong song/melody to work around, in order to be memorable, and this is really just a jam to my ears. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    When I saw that the solo was going to last 2 minutes or more I realised it wasn't something I'd be interested in.
  • are they all playing different songs?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Great technique and a good live sound, but I have to agree that without structure it just sounds like a very accomplished jam.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I like the band, and am a big fan of Lettieri (one of the other guitar players in the band). That specific solo didn't do it for me, although the technique is great. I tend to find with all of that kind of music -- funky/fusion jamming -- it's often the bass and drums, and the rhythm guitar that are pulling me in, more than the solos (horns or guitars).
  • An interesting fact... the drummer here was depping for the band and learned the songs on the flight over from Canada. Unbelievable!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom