Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

"Tribute" acts

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24327
What's your take on them?  Is it really a tribute to the artist(s) or just parasitical apeing of the artist(s) and their material just to jump on the bandwagon and earn money off the back of their talent?

Is it any different from someone selling inferior copies of famous works of art for example?  "The Moaner Lisa" by Dave Morris (a Leonardo DaVinci tribute painter).

I don't recall tribute acts existing in my youth.
When they first appeared, I thought the whole idea was a bit naff.  Now, provincial theatres are hosting these bands, with advertising that looks at first glance that it's the original band and with text beneath as small as they can get away with stating that it's not really the band in two foot high letters after all.

I like the idea of getting to see someone performing the songs of a favourite artist, if they do it well, but there's something parasitical about it that bothers me.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wrong mindset.. having been in Metalleeka for nearly 8 years I can tell you that there is nothing parasitic in my modus operandi..  every gig is like a celebration of the music, a mutual meeting of minds.. you have to love the music be in a tribute band.. (or extremely mercenary).. and for an audience to want to watch, again a love for the music.. If the act is any good, it isn't difficult for everyone to have a very enjoyable evening.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    People want to hear their favourite songs live, the open market obliges - I don’t see any problem whatsoever.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    I was too young to see The Doors live, but The Australian Doors were a good approximation. I liked the Australian Pink Floyd, but I felt they played too much post-Wall stuff.

The less said about a Belgian Jethro Tull tribute band, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• As a tribute band member I agree with everything you say Emp.

I view it like the wedding band scene, there's a lot of lazy people doing a half-arsed job at recreating the music and being quite successful with it. 

The tribute scene has probably really taken off in the last 10 years or so because so many of the classic bands that are being emulated don't exist or don't tour anymore.

We don't buy into the costumes or wigs malarky and prefer to take the approach that, if you come to see our band, you get the experience of seeing and hearing the original band but not looking at overweight, middle-aged men in bad wigs trying to relive their youth!

Shameless plug so you can judge for yourself - 
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    scrumhalf said:
    I was too young to see The Doors live, but The Australian Doors were a good approximation. I liked the Australian Pink Floyd, but I felt they played too much post-Wall stuff.

The less said about a Belgian Jethro Tull tribute band, the better.
    I got hold of the Aussie Pink Floyd’s DVD and was bored to death.  They had digital keys that just didn’t sound right instead of a Hammond and the lead guitarist used the tremolo bar to produce all of his vibrato.  It sounds pedantic but this kind of second rate approximation really killed it for me.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Think it depends a lot on the individuals in question. I’m sure there’s an element who are just essentially trying to make a quick buck off of the name of someone else, but I’m sure there’s a greater number of people out there playing in tribute acts because they genuinely love the music or the act they’re paying homage to and doing their utmost to honour it in their own way. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    I’d far rather see a tribute band than the typical covers band playing boring arrangements of a variety of different bands’ songs... that’s truly mercenary.

At least with tribute bands there’s some attempt to be more than just a lowest common denominator live jukebox.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited February 2018
    Ive seen a couple of tribute acts and enjoyed them all. In my local you get a sit down 3 course meal with live tribute act £20 tkt. The tribute acts are usually very good and always fill the place. Ive seen (with the Mrs) Roxy Majic,Tina Turner,Phil Collins/Genesis and all were very good. They looked and sounded the part. Great value had a great night out each time. Tina Turner was a great laugh stayed in character and signed autographs later great show. Also saw Michael Bubble and Robbie Williams mostly full of the womens though.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    The Australian Doors were as near as I could get to seeing the proper Doors. Fwiw they were pretty damn good.
    The local Novatel puts on tribute nights. When I drive I to town I see the adverts. They do seem a bit like cynical cash ins. Maybe that's just me being a musical snob.
    I can't think of any other tribute bands I've seen. I think I wandered into a Beatles tribute in a pub once, but that didn't interest me.
    It's the names I like the best. A tribute act with a pun name is fine by me. Are We Them - excellent, No Way Sis - not bad, but my all time favourite has to be By Jovi. 

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    edited February 2018
    The pun names are essential - or at least some attempt at humour. Ones like the Australian Pink Floyd are just dull.

(Unless I’m missing a joke of some sort...)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2018
    I think some tribute acts do a better job than the original, especially those that are 'getting on a bit' and the voice(s) or energy might not be there anymore.

An example, towards the end of last year, I saw 3 'Steely Dan' performances. The first was a good tribute called Nearly Dan. The second was the actual Steely Dan and the third was the tribute band Stanley Dee. The latter were the most enjoyable, offered fabulous sets spanning SDs career and were superb musicians to boot. All that for £8! No brainer.

There are some great ones out there paying what I believe to be homage to Kate Bush, The Beatles, Kiss, The Eagles, Steely Dan, Brit Pop, Thin Lizzy, Rod Stewart and even Madness
  • I used to know, a little bit, the bassist in a Megadeath tribute act. They actually got to support Megadeath - they were given a list of songs to play and not play, basically they played earlier fan favourite stuff that the current line up didn’t want to. I guess that’s some kind of seal of approval. 

I always remember a radio phone in about tribute bands and someone saying he loved Blondie but in their heyday they were all stoned and played  terrible gigs so a good tribute act was better than the real thing. 

———————————————————————————

There are a lot of blurred lines, I don’t know if we are a tribute band because we don’t cover just one band but it is, primarily, just one specific era. Some bands have the original name but few, if any, original members. The current Dr Feelgood have no original members ( the link is that the guitarist played  with Lee Brilleaux ) so they are effectively a tribute act but still a world apart from a woman in a wig singing Amy Winehouse songs over backing tapes. 

There an extent to which it’s a different audience - folk who will go out to their favourite local venue but wouldn’t dream of heading out to an arena so even tributes to current acts have an audience. 

I’m not sure it’s parasitical in any way - they aren’t taking money away from the original artists, they are promoting their back catalogue. Part of the reality is that it’s a lot easier to get gigs if you can phone up a pub and say ‘ we’re an ********* tribute act.’

It is people singing and playing live music and people going to see them though ;  as part of a wide spectrum of live music I think it is a perfectly healthy and good thing. What concerns me is when it becomes the only form of live music you have the option to see - I guess I’d rather that than nothing but some venues seem unprepared to put on anyone now who isn’t a tribute act. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    We supported Stanley Dee at a gig last year -seriously good players and band

i go and se Limehouse Lizzy whenever they are nearby

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I’d far rather see a tribute band than the typical covers band playing boring arrangements of a variety of different bands’ songs... that’s truly mercenary.

At least with tribute bands there’s some attempt to be more than just a lowest common denominator live jukebox.

I don't care what I see, so long as you can see the performers have put effort in and are enjoying themselves. the only time I think it's mercenary is when a band makes no effort, can't really play and charges you money for the experience. In my experience, those bands are often originals.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    The pun names are essential - or at least some attempt at humour. Ones like the Australian Pink Floyd are just dull.

If someone set up a tribute act in tribute to you, would they be Pole Arses or Try Dent?

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I shot a wedding a few years back and the Bride and Groom were massive Meat Loaf fans and they paid a fair penny and booked Maet Loaf for the reception and I must say they were flipping brilliant..
  • ICBM said:

If someone set up a tribute act in tribute to you, would they be Pole Arses or Try Dent?

;)
    more like ICBMuk or ICBM-esque
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

ICBM said:

;)
    more like ICBMuk or ICBM-esque
    The Australian ICBM?
    Or, WqƆI
  • Emp_Fab said:
    I don't recall tribute acts existing in my youth.
    When they first appeared, I thought the whole idea was a bit naff.  Now, provincial theatres are hosting these bands, with advertising that looks at first glance that it's the original band and with text beneath as small as they can get away with stating that it's not really the band in two foot high letters after all.
    Were you born Pre orchestras then?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom