Anyone over 40 still skateboarding (or restarted)?

What's Hot
Our 7yo's taken up skateboarding and being a former skater I've been having skate park envy so I've decided to get back on board.

I used to skate back in my teens in the 90's (I'm 40 now), I wasn't very good then and don't expect to much better now but looking forward to it. So far I'm in possession of a deck, and Saturday I'll be shopping for all the other bits at our local skate shop.

Anyone else still skating in their middle years?
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    @DesVegas Are you knocking 40 yet old boy?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Groovy Gang has a new member.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    JAYJO said:
    Groovy Gang has a new member.
    Like this?

As far as a mid-life crisis go it's safer and cheaper than motorbiking and highly preferable to becoming a MAMIL so I stand by my decision  B)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    32 and still skating, not quite a silver street surfer yet but i'm planning on it :)

Mind you, i've recently found myself interested in longboarding...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    LuttiS said:
    32 and still skating, not quite a silver street surfer yet but i'm planning on it :)

Mind you, i've recently found myself interested in longboarding...

Ah that's what slide gloves are for!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    No but this was a good prank ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    me ;)  i'm in my 50's , nothing crazy now but i still like to cruise on my G+S 44 pin tail longboard with holey trucks and bennet aligators 71mm ( from gavin at surrey skate )  grew up in dogtown era when there was only skateboard magazine ,i still have my original 70's board  G+S fiberflex deck acs 580's and kryptonics blue bowl riders 70mm ...

i fell pretty hard on the concrete 2 years ago , cracked a rib and it  knocked my confidence a bit , you just dont bounce anymore ....  

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11904
    I hope you have a job where time off with broken bones is tolerated
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Fretwired said:
    No but this was a good prank ....

Very good, I hadn't seen that clip before.  There's a good one with an old man prank with weightlifters at Venice Beach.
    I hope you have a job where time off with broken bones is tolerated
    No need for a job anymore  ;)  ......
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    I have two mates who I went to school with who are still both skating. Both 40 this year. 

If you still want to, do it. Have fun with your son! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    edited March 2018
    I've still got my Gand S fibreflex , Goldwing Trux and white YoYos from 1976 .....and I had a Skate City Black Bowl badge but I got on my daughter's board a couple of years ago and I was rubbish.
    My wife has a client ,German guy ,eccentric banker aged about 48 /50 who skateboards from Hampstead to the City most days.
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Skated for most of my teens, still enjoy watching it. Don't skate anymore but had a few goes. Taught my neice how to ollie and shove-it a few years back so the skills have not left me entirely! I'm 41 now and don't think my body would withstand the constant slams anymore.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I had a brief fling with skating again a few years ago (46 this year). Son started going on the ramps on his scooter so I got a deck. My ollies aren't as high as they once we're but I really enjoyed it, I can still boardslide on rails, land the odd kickflip etc but the best thing was showing the kids "old" tricks like no complys and boneless tricks, I even landed a streetplant which they found highly amusing. Has to ease off and eventually stop due to my ankles being like glass and taking a few slams that took weeks to shake off. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited March 2018
    I still wear my skaters for gardening in if that counts??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Not the same thing but I'm 44 and started roller skating last Saturday, got feed up of watching the eldest at skate club and wanted to have a go. Had loads of fun and good work out, just bought some nice skates 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I'm 51 and have one hanging in the garage. Never ridden it but I can ride a snowboard ok.

Should I?

What could possibly go wrong?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    be Old...  be Foolish ... be Happy ......
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Reason i got back into skating a few years ago is as i couldn't afford/justify  (time & money) to go snowboarding as often as i would have liked..

I still make it to the Snowdome in Manchester a few times a year but haven't been on a snowboard holiday in years and years :/