Routering Bit Advice for a tele shaped body

What's Hot
Hi 

Right Im now officially adicited to building a guitar! I have just finished making a 3/4" template and all went well. I used my router table (1/4" router) with a cheapo silverline bit. I have a pine blank made up ready as a trial run. Can anyone recommend a decent router bit which will work in the table. Do I assume right that I have the template at the bottom, take small passes, remove the template and then use the body which has already been routed as the template?

Thanks

Rich
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16689
    edited March 2014
    That will work, as will having the template at the top with the router on top rather than table mounted.   It might not get you all the way without a long bit, but rather than put a long bit in a 1/4" router you can get a bit shorter bit with a bearing on the end, once you are most of the way there flip the body over to take of the last bit.   more steps but safer

always cut very close to the line so you have less to route away, always route downhill and listen to what your tool is telling you.   if you feel it pulling where you don't want or hear it making nasty noises then stop, check the bit is tight all is safe and try removing a bit less wood

routing downhill:
    start at the green dots, stop at the red.   when you are more experienced with a router you will learn when you can ignore this, but until then its best to keep it in mind

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom