WTF do I do with these? (Tele bits and build content!)

What's Hot

Comments

• m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    @m_c ;

THIS => a bit artificial aging/dirtying on it would work.  ;)

I do have an idea of it being more dirty than aged, which I think might work, but I can deal with that later.
    I am getting a bit impatient to get this started, but I've got one more project I want to get done before I make a proper start on this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    That’s looking immense!
  • m_c said:
    @m_c ;

THIS => a bit artificial aging/dirtying on it would work.  ;)

I do have an idea of it being more dirty than aged, which I think might work, but I can deal with that later.
    I am getting a bit impatient to get this started, but I've got one more project I want to get done before I make a proper start on this.

Bit easier with a bakelite guard!  This project has been on going for months now and I just want to get it finished so I can enjoy my Tele again...

Got a delivery with this sticker on the box today :) 

Which means progress will resume shortly
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3223
    m_c said:
    About time too, think of all those wonderful telecaster hours you are missing out on. ;)
    m_c said:
    About time too, think of all those wonderful telecaster hours you are missing out on. ;)

Pfft. They're overrated. GS mini, Strat, and PRS SE are just as good ;)
    So thanks to @TheGuitarWeasel and the Owl City Pickups January sale (which is still on *winkwinknudgenudge), this is what got delivered -

One set of Masterwound Summer of Love 67's, and a Tele loom.
    I had planned on doing the loom myself, but cheating and buying one saves me some time.

Bridge pickup is now mounted in the bridge, so I can get the bridge screwed on, but I need to find a straightedge to check alignment before that, and it's too cold to go hunting for one tonight.
    I got fed up looking at computer screens, so the bridge is now on -

And after bit time spent with a sheet of sandpaper earlier, the nut now fits, although it's still a bit high. It was even higher, but I'll keep final height adjustment until things are a bit more complete.

Next problem was increasing the tuner holes, which I thought was going to be easy after buying the correct tool from StewMac for reaming out vintage tuner holes for modern tuners, but I discovered the holes in the neck were too big for the guide. So back to the original plan of taper reamer, followed by a 10mm drill.
    Then marked out, and drilled for the tuner locating pegs, which took a little bit of fettling, to get a nice fit.

One is slightly out if you look closely enough, but I'm happy with the result for now.

Next I need to get the temporarily clamp the neck on, and see if things are going to intonate, as per the discussion in this thread - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/121033/tele-bridge-placement
    And progress!

Neck is on. Pots and switch are in the control plate with the bridge pickup soldered on, and all the holes are drilled for the pick guard.
    Now I'm waiting for a delivery with a levelling beam and various fret fettling items, so I can get the frets sorted and get some strings on to get the final setup done, before attaching the final parts.

Which will just leave one major decision. What string tree? :-/
    Vintage round, vintage butterfly, or modern barrel...
  • Ooh V.Nice!
  • @m_c that's looking great. I've got an old Fender hard case in my attic which you can have for free to keep it safe...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @flying_pie I'm working on the theory that if I aim to collect it sometime this year, I'll still be well ahead of the 10 year limit :-)
    Seriously though, next time I'm likely to be near at a sensible time, I'll give you a shout.

And in relation to the build, the fret fettling bits should be delivered tomorrow, but they are coming via My Hermes...
  • m_c said:
    @flying_pie I'm working on the theory that if I aim to collect it sometime this year, I'll still be well ahead of the 10 year limit :-)
    Seriously though, next time I'm likely to be near at a sensible time, I'll give you a shout.

Any time within the next decade would be perfect @m_c

or you could let me know when you finish this build and I'll come across to look over your work and deliver it... 
    Well, after receiving all the tools required for fret fettling, I spent an evening at it, and ended up with something passably useable.

So given my increasing workload around this time of year and corresponding reduced time, I decided to seek professional help, and a couple PMs later a convenient drop off was arranged.
    The final result was collected a couple weeks ago, but I've only just got around to plugging it in and having a proper play.

Neck feels lovely, pickups sound fantastic, and I really like how the finished guitar looks, despite having never been a fan of relics!

Anyway, here's the finished item

And a close up of that roasted flame for good measure.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    Cool! Love the blonde, white guard, maple board combo!
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    That looks superb @m_c ;

Goes well with the blue wall too
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3223
    Looks great that, so much so it’s making me doubt my black on blonde! :)
  • FlametopFlametop Frets: 52
    Like that a lot! I have a roasted maple neck and tele body on order. Currently debating colour choice, but that looks great.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    Man that's sooo nice! The roasted maple looks brilliant, and very different to a normal maple neck.
    Is that a mini Danplifier amp in the background?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.