NGDx2......and the wait is over.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4819
    Oh my..... Amazing Nik, can't wait to see the finished article but, it looks seriously jaw dropping already.... Gorgeous 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    That top is stunning indeed! The figure is exactly what you want in a top - deep, lustrous and not too regular :)
    Ant is a gem.

Adam
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Here's a little update. We're getting closer on number 1 (which is number 2) now. Went back and forth on the top finish a little bit, as I didn't want it too glossy, but Ant didn't want to lose the flame too much. Think we've hit perfection though now. Wiring up is under way. There'll be a slight delay as I've not decided I want a pickup cover on the neck (no real reason other than I like that look!)

So here's where we're at right now...

Pretty damn sexy, right?
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Absolutely fantastic. We need a chat about these.
    John_A said:
    Absolutely fantastic. We need a chat about these.
    When this one arrives come over and give them a try ;)
    Well it would seem that next week this tale will come to a close. Number 1 is pretty much finished. A couple of days to settle and it will be ready for collection middle of the week. Here's a couple of pics from @flyfisher12 ;

Overdressed:

And as it should (and will be):

Am looking forward to Wednesday/Thursday. Just a bit....
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    There simply aren’t big enough wows for that! That is amazing.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Wooooow Nik, I'm so looking forward to this. Yours is looking absolutely stunning.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Jesus Christ that looks perfect (without pickguard of course), that's bloody amazing looking.
    On Thursday my wait was over and I headed over to Banbury to collect the second of my Anthony Ryder Les Paul custom builds. Termed the AFD guitar as I wanted something inspired by Slash's AFD Derrig, I was pretty excited by the images @flyfisher12 had sent.

This was another case of subtle changes of direction throughout the build. The colour is much darker than Slash's guitar, and I'm over the moon with it. In addition I sprung on Ant that I wanted a satin finish, inspired by my Gibson Faded and the neck feel of my ME4. We went back and forth on the right amount of shine a number of times (Ant was worried it would lose the flame, I wanted something that would wear pretty quickly and would give more feel to the wood). The end result is perfect, and something Ant is very keen to repeat. The final output is a guitar with an almost golden hue and a flame that has that perfect almost holographic effect as light plays across it.

I wish I had gone for aged hardware...but that will come the authentic way. With a lot of use.

The neck is a based on my R7's proportions, with a slightly shallower curve than my other Ryder. The board on this one is much darker, much richer. And you can feel it under fingers. It's much more response to vibrato and finger feel. Odd, considering both boards are from the same cut, but there you go.

Al2 based OX4s in this one have a slight edge on them compared to the 5s in the other guitar. They can be given a little more bite, or rolled off to creamy perfection.

It's everything I wanted it to be. And a whole lot more. Couldn't be happier with the outcome. 

And, shock! horror!, I actually prefer this one with the pickguard on. Weird.

Here they are together

And with the rest of the herd (40th Anniversary one still out on duty with Ben)

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    Flipping heck they are a stunning pair! Enjoy them buddy, they look amazing.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Flipping heck they are a stunning pair! Enjoy them buddy, they look amazing.

But Ffs don't put the pickguard on it :D
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2018
    If you ever see an '87 Les Paul Standard up for sale you should grab it, as that is what Slash played live during his Guns N' Roses heyday. He had 3 of them, and they've got marvelous necks. I have an '89 model, which I really like.

Enjoy your new guitars 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Those look great :astonished: 

rather let down by that tatty old thing, back middle. You need to shift that one, mate ;)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:
    Those look great :astonished: 

rather let down by that tatty old thing, back middle. You need to shift that one, mate ;)
    You never know what might happen ;)
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4819
    Amaaazing, nice one mate. I saw the AFD being finished off on FB so figured you would have it soon! Bet you're well pleased with how they turned out, enjoy!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.