Joshua v Parker

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    RMJ said:
    The ref was terrible. Parker’s only chance was to get inside and try and rough AJ up and the red wouldn’t allow him to do so. Poor fight, glad I didn’t pay £20 for it. 
    Exactly this. How the fuck was Parker going to win that fight at range? Ref took away his primary strategy. 

Score cards suggested a schooling. Far from it. Joshua is limited. Parker deserved a few more rounds on the cards. I had AJ winning by a few. Did little for me and people talking him up like he's Lennox Lewis.
    100% this. He's quick and strong, but limited as a fighter. @Legionreturns - AJ decided not to go for 'big finish'? That is only because he couldn't do it. Proved to be able to go the distance again, but no knockout power. Which is not good for a guy his size. He's hyped, as boxing is lacking big names at the moment and suffers the growing popularity of UFC, but he's not that great imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Why go for the big finish and risk getting caught when your winning on the jab? especially again someone young and fit who  has never been put down and is unbeaten.

Sure it wasn`t a slug fest but Mike Tyson won on points occasionally as did all the big punchers. I though it was a smart fight on AJ`s part.

Wilder and Joshua won`t happen, Wilder likes his small bubble and won`t take the risk, but will make a lot of noise in public.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    edited April 2018
    Tone71 said:
    Why go for the big finish and risk getting caught when your winning on the jab? especially again someone young and fit who  has never been put down and is unbeaten.

Sure it wasn`t a slug fest but Mike Tyson won on points occasionally as did all the big punchers. I though it was a smart fight on AJ`s part.

Wilder and Joshua won`t happen, Wilder likes his small bubble and won`t take the risk, but will make a lot of noise in public.
    It will happen. Joshua is running out of genuine PPV fights now. People will probably pay for a Whyte rematch, Povetkin, Fury (won't be this year) and Wilder. 

Problem for Hearn is that all of those opponents pose genuine problems for his cash cow. Whyte has improved considerably and is a tough guy who knows how to oush Joshuas buttons and bring down the PR fascade that we see. Povetkin has a lot of experience bit a ref job last night would neutralise him. Fury outboxes Joshua all night long. And Wilder possesses more power and equal dimensions to Joshua. 

The boxing public will soon tired of Joshua fighting nobodies and being asked to stump up 20 quid a time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited April 2018
    RMJ said:
    The ref was terrible. Parker’s only chance was to get inside and try and rough AJ up and the red wouldn’t allow him to do so. Poor fight, glad I didn’t pay £20 for it. 
    Exactly this. How the fuck was Parker going to win that fight at range? Ref took away his primary strategy. 

Score cards suggested a schooling. Far from it. Joshua is limited. Parker deserved a few more rounds on the cards. I had AJ winning by a few. Did little for me and people talking him up like he's Lennox Lewis.
    If his primary strategy was to grab AJ every time they got close then I'm baffled. Every time they closed he didn't seem to want to box, he just cuddled until the ref (rightly) broke it up. He had the option to bring the fight inside and chose to spoil it every time he started getting hit. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    RMJ said:

If his primary strategy was to grab AJ every time they got close then I'm baffled. Every time they closed he didn't seem to want to box, he just cuddled until the ref (rightly) broke it up. He had the option to bring the fight inside and chose to spoil it every time he started getting hit. 
    He wasn't given the chance to get inside. And when he did I thought Joshua looked far less comfortable than at range. 

Don't get me wrong. Joshua won the fight. But he is being hyped and helped. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

Joshua is really benefiting from an era with limited opposition.  It’s good to have a British champion but he’ll never be defined as a great without having to face any, or when he does have their strengths nullified by the referee.

It’s a sad state of affairs when you are willing Tyson Fury to come back strong to give him the proper fight he needs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    Fury drastically over rated in my opinion based on an off night for klitschko, never seen any other evidence of the supposed boxing master at work, could give Joshua problems but he has become a myth because he isn't fighting.  I expect Whyte to give wilder problems, would give Joshua problems in a rematch but I would expect a similar result.  Povetkin capable of outboxing him if he can stay on his feet.

Wilder a 50/50 between two big punching but limited fighters.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Sounds like: The Bible meets Thunderbirds
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Fury drastically over rated in my opinion based on an off night for klitschko, never seen any other evidence of the supposed boxing master at work, could give Joshua problems but he has become a myth because he isn't fighting.  I expect Whyte to give wilder problems, would give Joshua problems in a rematch but I would expect a similar result.  Povetkin capable of outboxing him if he can stay on his feet.

Agree about Fury.  He was never a boxing master and if he does return, I don't think he'll be at the level he was previously.  But hopefully he would give him a fight, his reach would certainly be something Joshua hasn't really had to deal with before.  Saying that 'comebacks' rarely work in sport, you lose the edge, it's very hard to get back if not impossible.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    munckee said:

Agree about Fury.  He was never a boxing master and if he does return, I don't think he'll be at the level he was previously.  But hopefully he would give him a fight, his reach would certainly be something Joshua hasn't really had to deal with before.  Saying that 'comebacks' rarely work in sport, you lose the edge, it's very hard to get back if not impossible.

I definitely agree about Fury. I think people remember him with rose tinted spectacles. He had a great night against Klitschko, but I think Klitschko had an off night at the same time.

I rate Fury by his performance against Steve Cunningham. A blown up Cruiserweight who had Fury down in the early rounds, and was ahead on 2 of the judges' scorecards when the ref stopped it. From memory Fury used every dirty tactic in the book to get Cunningham out of there.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265

AJ has only had 21 fights FFS. Of course he's got room for improvement. But he can only beat what's put in front of him. I don't think anyone who knows boxing would hand on heart say his is (right now) a fantastic heavyweight, or in the same league (right now) as some of the previous big name champs. Of course he isn't. The fact that he holds 3 belts after only 21 fights speaks volumes about the lack of quality in the division.

Wilder's not a great fighter, and I think AJ would probably do him.

Tyson Fury - not a good fighter at all. Very average. I think AJ would have him as well.

Frank Bruno might well have given them all a good run , lmao ;)

Lennox Lewis? different class IMO.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I see Wilder as someone with chicken legs but with a devastating overhand right.
    AJ as someone too easy to hit due to his footwork
    tyson fury is a better boxer than AJ and Wilder, has better stamina and is more versatile. He generally doesn’t hit as hard but he does seem to land a lot of what he throws.
    he’s got a proper nutritionist and sports science team behind him now. As long as he keeps well enough mentally I think he will be back at least as good as he was.

it will be interesting.

there’s some youngsters coming through too
    oh and Povetkin vs AJ, I think he’s too small and given the hits he took against price wouldn’t make it past AJ