Telecaster Bridge For Use With Bigsby Recommendations

Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
edited April 2018 in Making & Modding
I'm after a vintage style Telecaster half bridge with brass saddles for my Telemaster build. It has a Bigsby installed so needs to be one that has the cut out areas at the back to accommodate the strings coming through from the back. Basically one of these:

https://www.guitarexperience.co.uk/hardware-components/callaham-hardware/callaham-vintage-hardtail-bridge-with-enhanced-brass-saddles-specialized-for-bigsby-flat-mount-styled-vibratos.html

I was on a thread just a couple of days back w here somebody (a fellow Devonian as it happens) had got hold of one from a FretBoard member but now can't find it to get in touch. Less than half the price of the Callaham one too I I remember right?

Any help would be much appreciated
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 202
    I suspect you want something classier than this, but when I did the same I just bought a cheap Wilkinson half bridge and went at it with a hacksaw and files!  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    I would look for one with steel saddles if you can. Brass is too soft with a Bigsby - the strings sliding back and forward will cut into it and bind. You might be able to fix it with heavy lubrication but it will always be a bit of an issue.

(And steel saddles sound better anyway ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Yeah i’ve Already gone that route and looking for something a little tidier 
    Top tip @ICBM ;
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    I would look for one with steel saddles if you can. Brass is too soft with a Bigsby - the strings sliding back and forward will cut into it and bind. You might be able to fix it with heavy lubrication but it will always be a bit of an issue.

(And steel saddles sound better anyway ;).)
    I can confirm that John, as always, is absolutely correct. :-) I went through 5 or 6 different sets of brass saddles on my bigsby tele before giving in and switching to steel. Brass just cannot cope and gets notched in no time leading to binding and sitar noises.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    this is the Gotoh Bigsby bridge which Gavin (Axecaster) does: 

http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_37&products_id=507

Messaged Gavin and he’s hoping to get some more stock in soon including half size versions