Acoustic guitar amp?

What's Hot
I recently bought a Faith Nomad Saturn because I wanted a small guitar (for several different reasons) it came equipped with a pickup/mixer, not that I was bothered about that but they don't do a version without it.

For the home/caravan: ) noodler is there any benefit of playing through an amp?

If yes what budget amps are worth considering?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4218
    edited April 2018

For the home/caravan: ) noodler is there any benefit of playing through an amp?

I’m my opinion, the answer is no, and yes.

If playing through an amp at home means you stop (or in some cases never start) developing nice strong acoustic tone generation, then I think that’s a shame and ultimately limits you as a player.

On the other hand, plugging in lets you muck about with effects. So if that’s your thing, go for it.

One thing is for certain...the best guitar with the best pickup system still won’t sound as good as even a cheap guitar will sound acoustically. So if you’re thinking plugging in might be an improvement and somehow let you get the best sound out of your guitar, it won’t.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    I would second everything Lewy said, with an addition... there are no good, cheap acoustic amps. So if you really want something cheap, it's only worth getting one if it's purely for the fun aspect with effects, not for the sound quality - it's not like an electric guitar amp where you can get away with a 'characterful' 'lo-fi' sound - a low quality acoustic amp just sounds bad.

You're unlikely to find anything under £100 that's any good at all. Used, you'd get something like a Marshall AS50R for around that or a little more, or one of the medium-sized Fender Acoustasonics. New, probably the smallest that would be worth having is the Yamaha THR5A, which might be ideal for a caravan...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    If you have a computer with a sound card and some decent monitors you can play your acoustic through that, adding effects via garage band etc.

Alternatively, you'll need to spend about £400.00 on an Acus 5 to get a decent acoustic sound.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 831
    Comments take on board... thanks =)
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited April 2018

I have a Fishman Loubox Artist for sale in the classifieds, if you're interested?

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/127777/fs-fishman-loudbox-artist-350-collected#latest