Bad experience on eBay with kpmg-jd-pennington - Buyer beware!

What's Hot
Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
edited May 2019 in Guitar
UPDATE May 2019: The scammer was called vintagepluslondonguitars. He is now called kpmg-jd-pennington and is still a complete plonker.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/155879/ebay-scammer-bad-dealer

---

Hi.

Just registered because I had a really bad experience buying a guitar on eBay (the seller lied) and wanted to warn others. The seller has now re-listed the guitar with the same description.

Is this against the rules before I make the post?

Cheers,

S.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    yeah man shoot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mar10mar10 Frets: 12
    edited April 2018
    Name & Shame plz

There’s been some very shady stuff on eBay, about time these crooks got what they deserve 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    It's not against the rules. It's a useful way of warning other members here - we often discuss dodgy Ebay and Gumtree listings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    If you know the listing contains false information, you can report it, and it will get investigated and taken down?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    edited April 2018
    Righto then, will try to be concise.

Seller: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/vintagepluslondonguitars

Item: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USA-Fender-Standard-American-Stratocaster-with-HARD-CASE/273157179001

The item above is the re-listed item. The admittedly poor description hasn't been changed.

Story:

I was after a HSS Strat in Brown Sunburst for a while and saw this guitar on eBay. The description was quite vague but I wasn't deterred as the seller had lots of guitars for sale and positive feedback so I sent the seller an email. I covered all the bases:

1. Any dings, scratches, chips etc..
    2. Fret wear or warping to neck, condition of nut and tuners.
    3. Condition of electronics i.e. any scratchy pots, unusual buzzes or hums, loose switches or jacks.
    4. Condition of tremolo bridge - does this all function correctly and smoothly.

The seller responded that everything was "good" and that it had a case and tremolo arm included. The reply wasn't particularly detailed but I suspected English wasn't his first language (no problem with that) and, with eBay being so good at looking after their buyers these days, I pressed buy it now.

Took a little longer than usual to arrive but not exceptionally long. When it did arrive though I was thoroughly disappointed.

Firstly, the guitar body was covered in scratches. It was like someone had tried to polish it with steel wool or something. The ENTIRE body, back and front was horrendous. I couldn't believe he had missed this, it was the first thing I saw when I opened the case. Total mess. The strings were filthy and a completely random mix of gauges. The action was high as a bus. Also, no tremolo arm.

I winced and decided to tune it up. Frets were a bit worn, could do with a dress. I hadn't really looked in detail but it was at this point that I realised there was a serious problem. The intonation on the A string was majorly off. On inspection I realised that the nut had been replaced with a 42mm nut (found on Squires and MIM) rather than the 43mm nut on USA guitars. The nut hadn't been cut properly and there wasn't even a cut for the A string, hence the intonation issues.

I played with the electrics a bit and noted a few scratchy pots and a loose input jack. At this point I started adding up the restoration work costs in my head. I whipped the scratch plate off and noted the corroded components and joints. I actually tightened up the jack and took some contact cleaner to the pots here - the guitar left me in better condition than when it arrived! I even adjusted the truss rod a bit - made it better but still crap.

I got bored at this point and emailed the seller with my findings and opened a return case with eBay. He replied offering me a partial refund of £15 for a tremolo arm. I told him to get real and that there was probably £350 worth of work to sort this guitar out (body restoration, new nut, rewiring, set up etc...). I heard nothing for two days so I emailed him back saying fairly clearly 'take the guitar back, I don't want it'.

I got a fairly unintelligible email back saying I was an "abuser", "demanding" money and "
    all legal action" whatever that means. Again, English not first language but the tone was clear - he was pissed off and thought I was at fault. He also told me he was contacting eBay about me. Fair enough.

That evening I get an email from eBay customer services saying to send the guitar back and that the seller was at fault. I had submitted lots of photos of the problems to eBay and they were more than happy to find in my favour and provided a return label so I could send it back. I sent it back, kept an eye on the tracking and the moment the seller signed for it (with his real name) I emailed eBay. They issued a refund immediately. +1 eBay! Excellent customer service.

A day or so later I get this message from the seller:

"
    I’m contacting the police as you didn’t sent the guitar back"

I laughed it off as I had my postage receipt and the tracking info with his name on it signing for it. He has since relisted the same guitar with the same description and decided not to pursue the police option (I assume).

So, that's it really. Bad transaction with a dodgy seller who is clearly trying it again. Caveat emptor!

I have lots of photos of the true condition of the guitar if anyone feels I need to provide proof.

EDIT: Spelling
    0reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Bloody hell mate. Glad you got it sorted. Although i sell my stock on eBay I must admit that I’d never buy another guitar or amp on there. Too many traps to fall into.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    How strange. He must think the next person who buys it will just accept it in poor condition!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lonestar said:
    Bloody hell mate. Glad you got it sorted. Although i sell my stock on eBay I must admit that I’d never buy another guitar or amp on there. Too many traps to fall into.
    You're not wrong! I will always buy locally and check out the guitar first hand in future.
    hassleham said:
    How strange. He must think the next person who buys it will just accept it in poor condition!
    Yeah, I'm not sure he has the best business plan. Although, courtesy of me, it now has new strings, less scratchy pots, a tightened output jack and it's sort-of in tune so there's that. :tired_face: 
    tFB Trader
    It’s also worth noting (on the subject of feedback) that 2/3 of his first page of feedback was as a buyer, not a seller. Although his transactions as a seller have been good it still makes me wish EBay would split feedback ratings into two separate categories... one score as a buyer and one as a seller
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    I still haven't left feedback. Obviously it would be negative but I can't really be arsed with the email-agro I'm certain to receive from him once I leave feedback. Oh and of course the negative he will leave me on my otherwise 100% positive since 2011 (I'm a little proud of that. Haha!)
    tFB Trader
    Simon_M said:
    I still haven't left feedback. Obviously it would be negative but I can't really be arsed with the email-agro I'm certain to receive from him once I leave feedback. Oh and of course the negative he will leave me on my otherwise 100% positive since 2011 (I'm a little proud of that. Haha!)
    But, if you don’t then the next chap who wants that guitar will fall into the same trap. I’d be leaving negative feedback with a clear conscience 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Simon_M said:
    I thought eBay had changed the rules so that sellers couldn't leave negative feedback for buyers.
    Brize said:
    Simon_M said:
    I thought eBay had changed the rules so that sellers couldn't leave negative feedback for buyers.
    Turns out you're right. Negative feedback appropriately left.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    edited April 2018

Ah...we know this seller of old - and have discussed buyer's poor experiences or listing inconsistencies several times.

Incidentally, this person now sells on eBay under a number of ID's (in fact, one of their alter-ego's listings was highlighted very recently), so - for anyone reading this thread - please beware. Rather foolishly, they often still use the same (or similar) photographic format, so keep your eyes open.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• He also buys stuff and lists it before picking it up. Seen that a few times too. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Ah...we know this seller of old - and have discussed buyer's poor experiences or listing inconsistencies several times.

Incidentally, this person now sells on eBay under a number of ID's (in fact, one of their alter-ego's listings was highlighted very recently), so - for anyone reading this thread - please beware. Rather foolishly, they often still use the same (or similar) photographic format, so keep your eyes open.
    Looks like I should have checked on here before buying then! Good to know the community is already aware of his dodgy dealings.

During our email exchanges he told me [I am] "not welcome to buy in all our 3 ebays" which seemed like a redundant statement really - as if I was ever going to buy from him again! Shame he didn't name the other two accounts.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2387
    Love his other neg feedback comment, what the heck is a Guibson Strac??

'Scratch plate lugs broken and bent. Tried to contact seller but ignored email'

• Reply by vintagepluslondonguitars (20-Mar-18 09:49):
      BUYER RECEIVED GENUIBE GUIBSON STRAC
     Gibson USA Les Paul Standard AAA+++ Cherry Sunburst '""asNEW'"" (#272833182240)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Good to know - I was looking at a potential purchase from this seller not long ago, so thanks for the heads up..:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031

Essentially, the worst kind of bedroom seller. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom