humbucker and two P90s?

Would this configuration be any good? Has it been done?

Humbucker in the bridge, p90s in the middle and neck, and strat switching?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think yamaha have done a few like this.

I really like the idea, or even humbucker and a p90. Just anything in the neck that's not a regular humbuggy, oil city is going to try a more unusual humbucker design for me...

Also, p90s are great looking pickups. I know that shouldn't matter...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16689
    the only real downside is that pairing P90's with humbuckers really highlights how noisy P90's can be
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    I had a Strat that I had the brainwave of fitting 3 x p90s to... and I lost sustain, plus it sounded bad. The pickup supplier said that the magnetic pull of the P90s was significantly higher than that of the original Single coils and that could affect the string vibration... so I converted it back and all was well again.

I don't know how true this is/was (perhaps Ash has a view) but it has put me off fitting more than two P90s to anything since. Make of that what you will. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10475
    tFB Trader
    Hornswaggle! 18 individual (usually alnico 5 magnets) directly under the strings versus 6 (opposed) bar magnets buried far under the coils and only transferring their field via soft iron screws.
    Now if the P90s were ceramic I could see a case ...

Plus I've made 3 P90s work on various guitars over the years, including a Strat.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72384
    I had a 3-P90 PRS which sounded fine. Although I didn't like the bridge pickup, and I did wonder about fitting it with a humbucker, I never could quite bring myself to mod it… it would have looked wrong ;).

If you're worried about hum, make sure you get RWRP P90s, that way at least the neck/middle position will be hum cancelling. That was always my favourite setting on my PRS.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    @theguitarweasel - in case you hadn't guessed, looks like I'm coming into a bit of GAS dosh, so I'm thinking about the stealth pup again (that we discussed last year). I may resurrect that idea if you have time to try it out. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    :-) OK, I defer to Mr Guitarweasel's far greater experience/knowledge and general all round good-eggness... perhaps there was some other factor involved. 

As you were and all that...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I've got a guitar with a bridge humbucker, and a neck p90. It's mighty fine!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10475
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    @theguitarweasel - in case you hadn't guessed, looks like I'm coming into a bit of GAS dosh, so I'm thinking about the stealth pup again (that we discussed last year). I may resurrect that idea if you have time to try it out. 
    Got some stealth drawings somewhere ... buggered if i can find em :)

Happy to start working on that for you again .....
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I'll PM you if the money comes through.