Boss GT100/ Tone Studio Connection Failure after Win 10 Update 1/6/18 - Answer found 4/6/18.

What's Hot

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    It's weird that it stopped working all of a sudden.  I can't think of anything else to try as nothing here seems to have worked.  Maybe, as you say, it's a hardware issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Have you tried seeing if the GT 100 works within your DAW (assuming you use one)? 

If you're able to record with it then that would point to the problem being Adobe Air.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Have you tried seeing if the GT 100 works within your DAW (assuming you use one)? 

If you're able to record with it then that would point to the problem being Adobe Air.
    Thanks, that's not a bad idea, I have Reaper but...

On the first screen if I select DAW it still shows the same screen in the second photo and won't let me past it.

I haven't opened Reaper to see if that shows as connected because the laptop says the GT100 is connected, the GT100 says on its own screen it's connected but this bloody screen won't let me past no matter what I do.

I have no Idea how to use Reaper, honestly, I'd stand more chance flying the space shuttle.
    I was going to be shown how to record but that got lost in the busyness of life and now I'm up north it's probably not going to happen, so I couldn't do anything with Reaper if it was open.

The best solution I have right now is to ask the guy who @ecc83 mentioned and in the meantime, try to beat this WIn 7 laptop into submission and use that.

The weird thing is I'm convinced that If I went out and bought a GT1000, I bet that would bloody work on my win 10 machine.
    Of course, I might be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me.
    Disconnect the GT and force close Tone Studio using task manager in Windows. 

Reconnect the GT100 and then fire up Reaper. Don't click on Tone Studio. Start a project in Reaper then you might get a prompt automatically to set up your device. If not then options => Prefences => audio device settings 

The first drop dowmenu is: audio system and you select ASIO and your GT 100 should show up in the next drop down

Reconnect the GT100 and then fire up Reaper. Don't click on Tone Studio. Start a project in Reaper then you might get a prompt automatically to set up your device. If not then options => Prefences => audio device settings 

The first drop dowmenu is: audio system and you select ASIO and your GT 100 should show up in the next drop down
    I'll try that after dinner.

Thanks for taking the time to help man.
    Alnico said:

I'll try that after dinner.

Thanks for taking the time to help man.
    My pleasure. 

I haven't hooked up my GT 100 to Tone Studio for a while so I'm following this with interest in case I have problems too. I have had difficulties with it before, hence my knowledge of the third party app. I think an update to Tone Studio fixed that issue for me several months ago. 

FWIW my Windows 10 is up to date and the most recent drivers work fine for me with Reaper. 

First of all, thanks for showing me one thing in 'Reaper', that's more than anyone else has managed in over a year.

Here's what I saw when I did what you said and it seems to show the GT100, the correct driver and the primary In/Out.

So everything says it's connected except Tone Studio / Abode Air.
    Even the laptop and the GT say they're connected by USB.

What really bakes my noodle about this is that the patches I had made were a bit hit and miss and when all this occured, just before the weekend, I THOUGHT (Yes I know what "Thought" did and really should have remembered at this point) ...

"I know what I'll do !
    Lets factory reset the GT and start again!!
    That's a great Idea and while that's doing that, I'll update everything !!!"

I have checked and the GT was a V2 when bought and is now running V2.1 so it's on the latest Firmware update itself.
    So I have a totally 'Brand New' GT100 in factory condition, all at factory settings and now no way of doing anything with it.

Have 'Ford' recently bought 'Boss' and I didn't hear about it?

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I really do appreciate it.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    Long shot, but over on the Katana Facebook group someone had a similar issue after a Win 10 update. This is what was suggested: "In my case it was the microphone setting in the privacy setting section of Windows 10. If this is switched off, ToneStudio doesn't work". I don't have Windows (I'm a Mac user) so not sure where the microphone privacy setting but might be worth a check? Seemed to solve the issue for a couple of guys over there
    edited June 2018
    Long shot, but over on the Katana Facebook group someone had a similar issue after a Win 10 update. This is what was suggested: "In my case it was the microphone setting in the privacy setting section of Windows 10. If this is switched off, ToneStudio doesn't work". I don't have Windows (I'm a Mac user) so not sure where the microphone privacy setting but might be worth a check? Seemed to solve the issue for a couple of guys over there
    HOLY FUCK IT WORKED !!!

Did exactly what you said and it just worked first time.

It makes some degree of sense now that that was the problem but man, they hid it well.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, SO MUCH !!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Excellent stuff...no worries at all, glad all those hours of reading crap on Facebook has finally helped!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Excellent stuff...no worries at all, glad all those hours of reading crap on Facebook has finally helped!
    More than you can imagine.
    Wow, that's just amazing.

I'll update the thread title so it's obvious to anyone else who has this problem.

BLOODY BRILLIANT.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4787
    Result! It wasn't relevant to your problem, so I didn't mention it when you were still steaming, but when I first installed Tone Studio on my MacBook, it wouldn't run either. It turned out to be a permissions problem - the app wasn't approved by Apple because I hadn't downloaded it from the App Store (I know...) and I hadn't given permission for it to run. The error message was buried deep inside System Preferences and I had never had one of those before....

FWIW, it took Boss a couple of months to support the latest OS (High Sierra) after Apple released it. Macs may be great, but software vendors need to do their bit, too. Win 10 support was available much faster than that. 
    Lesson learned with updates.
    Adobe Air now wants to update again.

That's just not happening now.
    It works.

I'm leaving it well alone.

Result! It wasn't relevant to your problem, so I didn't mention it when you were still steaming, but when I first installed Tone Studio on my MacBook, it wouldn't run either. It turned out to be a permissions problem - the app wasn't approved by Apple because I hadn't downloaded it from the App Store (I know...) and I hadn't given permission for it to run. The error message was buried deep inside System Preferences and I had never had one of those before....

FWIW, it took Boss a couple of months to support the latest OS (High Sierra) after Apple released it. Macs may be great, but software vendors need to do their bit, too. Win 10 support was available much faster than that. 
    I've never used a mac before but that makes some sense to me.
    If always assumed that macs were perfect and THE answer to Microsoft being rubbish.
    It's kind of enlightening to find out they have their problems too.

Thanks everyone. 
    This has made an awful weekend turn into a great start to the week.
    Glad it's fixed. Must be a big relief. 

If you've not already seen it, this is a useful video for getting better sounds from your GT. While it applies more to high gain sounds it's still really useful, particularly the sections on using the phrase loop so you can loop the type of riff you want to create the patch for, the cab sims, speaker placement  and on using EQ to tighten the sound and get rid of harsh frequencies.

I found it really improved the patches I use for practice to the point I've actually recorded some stuff with them.

Glad it's fixed. Must be a big relief. 

If you've not already seen it, this is a useful video for getting better sounds from your GT. While it applies more to high gain sounds it's still really useful, particularly the sections on using the phrase loop so you can loop the type of riff you want to create the patch for, the cab sims, speaker placement  and on using EQ to tighten the sound and get rid of harsh frequencies.

I found it really improved the patches I use for practice to the point I've actually recorded some stuff with them.

It is a big relief.
    We're not broke as such but we have no money for new gear, this is godsend for me right now.

I'd love to see that video, I've always flown blind with my GT which I think is how my patches were a bit hit and miss.
    Is it on you tube?
    The link you posted isn't a video but I can probably find it from that picture.

Honestly thanks everyone,
    I bought the GT last year because it's built like a tank and I was never in the ball park for a Helix. I genuinely love what the GT does and can't bear the thought of going back to pedals.

Made my whole week and probably much more.
    :)
    Phew! Glad I posted it up now, wasn't sure if it was a really long shot or something actually quite useful!

Panic over! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Phew! Glad I posted it up now, wasn't sure if it was a really long shot or something actually quite useful!

Panic over! :)
    I'm very glad you did.
    Thank you.

This should work. 
    Yes that works, thank you man.
    Watching it now...

If you need any help with the GT then feel free to hit me up. I'm no expert but I have used it for a while including recording, and live.

This is another essential video (probably the most important) in order to get the best sound and should actually be the first thing you do. How to set a patch to calibrate the unit for your guitar