Those magnificent men in their flying machines..

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4985
Exactly 99 years ago today, Alcock and Brown crash landed their aircraft in a bog close to Clifden in Galway, Ireland.  They had completed a flight across the Atlantic ocean.  In fact they landed close to the Marconi wireless trans Atlantic radio station there.  Alcock and Brown were the first to fly the Atlantic non stop*

Now everyone can fly to America and further but few give those British gentlemen much thought as they do so.

* It must have been non stop as I don't know where they might have stopped.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6079

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    How long did it take them ?
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15967
    edited June 2018

tae be or not tae be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    edited June 2018
    Dominic said:
    How long did it take them ?
    16hrs.

Very brave men. Aircraft were still really quite unreliable then, and if anything serious had gone wrong there was no hope of rescue or survival.

Tragically, Alcock was killed in a flying accident later the same year.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4646
    I thought it was the spirit of St Louis that did the first non stop flight?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    No, Alcock and Brown were the first by a long way.

Lindbergh's Spirit of St Louis was the first to fly from the US to France in 1927 in order to win a prize. 

Incidentally the Spirit of St Louis was far more advanced than Alcock and Brown's converted WWI bomber.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    What amazes me is that the first powered flight was only about 115 years ago. In that time the evolution of aircraft has been nothing short of extraordinary. We now think of airliners in much the same way that we think of buses - a quick and convenient way to get somewhere. Military aircraft regularly fly at around twice the speed of sound, something most of grandparents could never have imagined.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Ryan Air seem to have modeled their business on them...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    What amazes me is that the first powered flight was only about 115 years ago. In that time the evolution of aircraft has been nothing short of extraordinary. We now think of airliners in much the same way that we think of buses - a quick and convenient way to get somewhere. Military aircraft regularly fly at around twice the speed of sound, something most of grandparents could never have imagined.
    True, but look at the evolution of space travel. From the V2 rocket of 1944 to manned space flight in the 1960's culminating in man  walking on the Moon. Remarkable. Followed by the tech/information revolution. In 1918 very few people had access to a telephone. Fast forward and we all have a smart handheld device that's a phone, camera, music/games player which is capable of browsing the Internet.

Progress.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Fretwired said:
    HAL9000 said:
    True, but look at the evolution of space travel. From the V2 rocket of 1944 to manned space flight in the 1960's culminating in man  walking on the Moon. Remarkable. 
    Remarkable indeed. But I find it depressing that manned space missions have stalled. Those astronauts are now in their 80's and gradually dying off but we have gone no further than low earth orbit since. 

The incredible costs and debate about 'value for money' are legitimate concerns but I still want Moon Base Alpha and guys playing golf on Mars. Looks like it's down to Elon Musk.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Fretwired said:
    HAL9000 said:
    True, but look at the evolution of space travel. From the V2 rocket of 1944 to manned space flight in the 1960's culminating in man  walking on the Moon. Remarkable. Followed by the tech/information revolution. In 1918 very few people had access to a telephone. Fast forward and we all have a smart handheld device that's a phone, camera, music/games player which is capable of browsing the Internet.

Progress.
    remember the original Star Trek series..
    Kirk stood on a planet with his hand held communicator talking to the Enterprise..
    and you'd see his face on the big monitor on the bridge..
    that was sic-fi
    today it's a pretty normal video call
    play every note as if it were your first
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9638
    One of my favourite facts is the gap between the Wright Brothers first stuttering powered flight on a machine bodged from bicycle parts and successfully landing on the Moon is a mere 66 years!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Kilgore said:

Remarkable indeed. But I find it depressing that manned space missions have stalled. Those astronauts are now in their 80's and gradually dying off but we have gone no further than low earth orbit since. 

The incredible costs and debate about 'value for money' are legitimate concerns but I still want Moon Base Alpha and guys playing golf on Mars. Looks like it's down to Elon Musk.
    Unfortunately it's beyond the resources of any individual or company - the Apollo project cost over 100 billion dollars in today's money, and that would only be a starting point compared to establishing a permanent base or going to Mars.

The costs is a legitimate concern, but in fact they can be viewed as investment as much as spending - the employment it creates and the technology developed is worthwhile. Although it can be argued that you could use it for similar high-tech projects on Earth which would benefit more people.

But if Trump *really* wants to "Make America Great Again", manned exploration of the Moon and possibly Mars would be at the top of the list of ways to achieve it, and also establish his place in history.

It may be worth mentioning that if we don't go back, then the President whose name will endure the longest is Richard Nixon... because it's written on the descent stage of Apollo 11, which will last for millions of years :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    JezWynd said:

That's a very loose definition of crash-landed.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    & 'earth rise' will be 50 years old this christmas, by way of perspective. how time flies...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg/600px-NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    ICBM said:
    Kilgore said:

Unfortunately it's beyond the resources of any individual or company - the Apollo project cost over 100 billion dollars in today's money, and that would only be a starting point compared to establishing a permanent base or going to Mars.

The costs is a legitimate concern, but in fact they can be viewed as investment as much as spending - the employment it creates and the technology developed is worthwhile. Although it can be argued that you could use it for similar high-tech projects on Earth which would benefit more people.

But if Trump *really* wants to "Make America Great Again", manned exploration of the Moon and possibly Mars would be at the top of the list of ways to achieve it, and also establish his place in history.

It may be worth mentioning that if we don't go back, then the President whose name will endure the longest is Richard Nixon... because it's written on the descent stage of Apollo 11, which will last for millions of years :).
    A joint US-Chinese project, with heavy Russian, European and commercial involvement, would be the best way to get the space program advancing again.

Sadly, the world is heading in exactly the opposite direction, more conflict and brinksmanship and less co-operation.

Makes getting to Mars in my lifetime increasingly less likely :(
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Neil said:
    No, Alcock and Brown were the first by a long way.

Lindbergh's Spirit of St Louis was the first to fly from the US to France in 1927 in order to win a prize. 

Incidentally the Spirit of St Louis was far more advanced than Alcock and Brown's converted WWI bomber.
    Yep, Linbergh's flight was the first SOLO crossing of the atlantic ("solo" as in by himself, not what Kathleen Kennedy screams when she wakes up at night).

He later became a massive celebrity, had his child kidnapped and murdered, and became a prominent opponent of the US entry into WW2.

The original Spirit of St Louis is in the Smithsonian Museum.  You can see a replica of the Vickers Vimy, as flown by Alcock and Brown, at the RAF Museum Hendon in the lovely Graham White building.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    Kilgore said:

“Moongate”
    edited June 2018
    sinbaadi said:

That's a very loose definition of crash-landed.
    It's not as bad as it looks - they landed normally, but what they had thought was a grassy meadow turned out to be a soft bog, so as the plane slowed down the wheels then dug in at the end and it flipped up like that. Planes of that era were incredibly fragile, so the damage isn't actually that serious, and neither man was injured. Vickers repaired the plane and it's now in the Science Museum.

ICBM said:
    Vickers repaired the plane and it's now in the Science Museum.
    Yeah great point.

The aircraft gallery in their is lovely, they have the Supermarine S6B that won the Schneider Trophy (and indeed the trophy) in there as well, the Spitfire's older brother.